What will be your first strategy you use in your first game of BNW?

askia53

Chieftain
As the title says, what strategy will you use in your first game of BNW?
I think I will go with a big trade empire with lots of CS allies, and a strong diplomatic game (Lots of power in the World Congress/UN) as either Portugal or Morocco, or maybe even Venice.

What will yours be?

beats the crap outta me man. Just going to try and survive while I cover the learning curve on the new systems and their intricacies.

Find the Venetian.

Destroy the Venetian.

Shoshone Pathfinder spam.

beats the crap outta me man. Just going to try and survive while I cover the learning curve on the new systems and their intricacies.

To Ptoss1: Sounds fun! Please tell us how that ends up working out.

To CrossTheRiver: Probably what my first game will end up devolving into :lol:

As Portugal on archipelago, snag all the resources I can while getting early exploration out there and building a sizable enough fleet to protect my financial interests.

But I almost want to roll up Carthage and liberty-track them instead just to see how gme-breaking early free harbors are with the trade routes mechanics.

Kick ass/chew bubblegum. And it looks like I'm all out of bubblegum.

:agree:

I'm going to EXPLORE: the GAME even more than the map.
Will I do my usual Large/Marathon setup, or just get my feet wet with a standard/epic?

I remember my first GNK game as the Celts and grabbing the bonus production to Wonders, and then I realized how terrible that choice was when I figured out how quickly it became irrelevant haha. That game got scrapped pretty early. Although I'm a much better Civ player now, I still won't be surprised if I screw up pretty amazingly the first game or two.

:agree:

I'm going to EXPLORE: the GAME even more than the map.
Will I do my usual Large/Marathon setup, or just get my feet wet with a standard/epic?
I can't stand Marathon - I would enjoy it if the only thing they protracted was the tech tree, but it just seems like the pacing is exactly the same as the other games and you just end up hitting 'next turn' a whole hell of a lot more.

I couldn't decide what civ to play so I used a random number generator and got an 8 for Venice.

So I guess I'll be prioritizing Optics? I'm wondering if it's worth it to go liberty and get the GMoV instead of a settler. Tradition seems like such a no-brainer seeing as I only get to control one city, but completing liberty will give me another GMoV ... I think I'm just gonna wait and see how many CSs are around me before I choose.

Oh, and probably get a wonder that gives Great merchant points.

Assyria->Rush to Siege Towers->Take out Neighbor->use neighbor cities to fill out tech I skipped
I'll see what happens after that

NukeAJS - Strictly speaking, you can get two MoVs by finishing Liberty. Three if you count the one that you'll have gotten from Optics in that time. You have to give up a different Great Person for it, but four cities with Venice by the time liberty is finished ain't too shabby, IMHO.

I can't stand Marathon - I would enjoy it if the only thing they protracted was the tech tree, but it just seems like the pacing is exactly the same as the other games and you just end up hitting 'next turn' a whole hell of a lot more.

There's a mod called Extended Eras that makes science slower but build times the same, I think. I'm not sure if it will be broken by BNW and need to be updated, though.

Im doing an LP (youtube.com/user/ImmortalCommandoGame) as Poland and trying to build a massive trade and culture empire. Going to be against all new civs and France for sake of video

Top Bottom