What would you use as a 2nd UU

Well it seems someone has already done the code for leader specific units here, which is awesome \o/

Francisca (throwing axe) would go in place of the crusader i suppose.

There seem to be quite a few new leaders around so additional units can be added there.

I dont really like the idea of a UU being an air unit simply because they would be pretty weak. I personally wouldnt want one. This does obviously make balancing the units difficult but it is difficult anyway. Noone ever will agree exactly what is best :)

Some thoughts on the Russian units before i go home:
T34 (replaces tank)
:strength: 28 :move: 2 :hammers: 150
+25% vs armoured
no movement penalty over terrain

makes it a bit cheaper, crapper but better over terrain than the panzer.

Typhoon (replaces attack sub)
can carry 1 missile

Perhaps Civ5 should have Leader based UU not civ, so if a civ has 3 different leaders then each one has different UU and maybe different UB... unit what was known in his/her era.

Edit : I think George washington had never seen Navy Seals :)

That's a pretty damn nice idea :goodjob:

for the Aztecs

Leader Izcoatl (imp,org) - jaguar warrior - raplace warrior - +1 movement (+25% cost) (civ3 jaguar :p)

Leader Moctezuma (agr,spi) - eagle warrior - replace swordman - actual jaguar warrior stats.

Streltsy, replacing the Musketman, could be an option for the Russians. They probably suit Peter best as a unique unit although they were formally liquidated in the latter years of his reign. As they often worked as law-keepers and firefighters in their community, I suggest a city defence bonus combined perhaps with some bonus for running either Hereditary Rule or Serfdom - maybe extra health or happiness.

Perhaps Civ5 should have Leader based UU not civ, so if a civ has 3 different leaders then each one has different UU

That is what I am intending. I am thinking of making a mod for this when I have some spare time shortly (or attempting to anyways :))

The list of potential new units is above, any thoughts are welcome

I don't think 1 UU per leader is ballanced.
1. imagine boidicas UU it would need not to be melle if it was ballanced it whould take ages to ballance.
2. BTS concentrates on the use of gunpowder and of all 20 ish civs theres only 4UUs which are after the gunpwder,What makes it worse is the advanced start makes it so easy to skip preats,phalanx (it falls into its own trap) so the AI don't gets "its powerful era" so this kinda lets the side down. maybe a UU pre-gunpowder and post gunpowder.

Well tbh it is the minority of people that play advanced starts. If a UU happens to fall in the ancient era then obviously your going to miss it out.

Secondly 1 UU per leader would be much easier to balance than 1 pre & 1 post gunpowder UU.

I don't really like the idea of leader specific UUs. Nor do I think that civs need to have the same number of UUs in order for the game to be balanced... For instance would it be unbalanced for america to have 3 even 4 late game UUs that are not individually overpowered if Rome has 1 early arriving uber overpowered UU?

anyway some more ideas for UUs that I had today.

Native America

Tracker - replaces scout

as scout but free visibility and mobility promos. (you know you can never sneak up on an injun.)

War Party (or something) - replaces horse archer

as horse archer plus free visibility promo.

America

Super carrier - replaces carrier

as carrier except has extra 1 or 2 slots for fighters/jets and comes with free medic 1 promo. but can't be built with oil only uranium will do.

India

Mystic - replaces missionary (any religion)

as missionary but 75% hammer cost. (all that self denial makes them low maintenance :lol: )

Arabia

Scholar - replaces missionary (any religion)

as missionary but delivers 1 beaker in addition to gold to the shrine city if successfully settled. (possibly a bit overpowered and difficult to code)

(alternative) as missionary but 1 extra move.

Spain

Inquisitor - available in addition to missionary (any religion)

special ability - %chance of removing 1 non-state religion from a city (foreign or domestic) if successful there is an additional chance the city will lose some pop!

(also a bit difficult to code i imagine but fun!)

Egypt

Mamluk handgunners - replaces musketman

as musketman but available earlier with guilds.

1. Greece
Companion Cavalry (replaces Horse Archer)
+25% vs. Mounted and Melee Units

2. Egypt
Mamluk (replaces Musketman)
+1 strength

3. Vikings
Longboat (replaces Galley)
- Can enter ocean after discovery of Compass

4. Carthage
Sacred Band Infantry (replaces Swordsmen)
+25% vs. Archery and Melee Units

5. England
English Longbowman (replaces Longbowman)
+2 first strikes

6. India
Indian War Elephant (replaces War Elephant)
Starts with Formation
Requires 50 hammers to build (instead of 60)

7. Byzantines
Varangian Guard (replaces Maceman)
+1 strength
Starts with Shock

8. Russia
Russian Conscript (replaces Infantry)
19 strength instead of 20
Requires 120 hammers instead of 140

Spain:
Tercios Replaces musketeer- +50% to experience gainning

Japan:
Ninja. Replaces spy. +25% time of building, -35% mission costs

Germany:
Zeppelin: That should be their UU, and only theirs. There has already been discussed the idiocy of making zeppelins a common unit (air bombing too early, historically unaccurate, etc).

France

Dragoon- Replaces curaisser.
Starts with drill I promotion.

United states
American bunissesman- Replaces executive
Corporation expansion missions costs -60% less, +1 extra movement, -50% production cost.

Greece

Greek Fire galley
Replaces galley
Can bomb coastatal cities

Arabia
Cleric- Replaces priest
100% chances of expanding a religion. Can expand their religion even on theocratic civs.

Russia
Russian warhead
Replaces nuclear missile
-40% building cost, half the manteinance costs.

the Germanic war band is kind of dumb since axes already slaughter swords, the minuteman can beat grenadiers (maybe a cheap rifleman instead of a hyper powered one is more realistic and better for game balance), and the "British longbowman" should be called something less confusing, like Yeoman.

France:

Courier: replaces explorer, +1 visibility range, can improve tiles (but twice as slow as worker) and built with growth

Top Bottom