What'cha Cookin' Tonight II

Another think I'd definitely try is to walk into a diner and have a cup of coffee :coffee:, only to have it refilled by a waitress walking around with a pot of it to offer around (this would be impossible here).
Depending on your tastes, but if you are used to italian coffee you may well find the standard US diner stuff undrinkable.

Hey, I adjusted to English coffee (and miss scones so much), I can do it. The trick is to remember that while the ingredients are the same, it's such a different process the results are necessarily very different. And well, not every bartender is committed to buying the good stuff, so I expect the same everywhere.

I had a mackerel that was not at all fresh, and I thought I would try to pressure cook it with chilli to make it edible. It actually tastes OK, but it smells just like cattle feed. I am not sure I can face it.
Spoiler You do not really want to see what it looks like, but it is better than it smells :

I'm the same way about chicken and eggs, they just don't work together for me... other than using eggwash to batter the chicken :yumyum:

may I propose Oyakodon? I was never a fan of chicken and egg, but that dish convinced me. cooking with dog has a decent, easy recipe.

If you are visiting USA from Europe, I would say that fast food is an absolute must-have.

we have virtually all the relevant fast food chains over here (even a five guys..), and the food is, imho, partically indistinguishable all over the world. I've eaten at McD in Germany, Korea and Latin America and they were all completely standardized (only McD in India was slightly different, for obvious reasons).

personally I think they're all complete garbage, with one or two exceptions. since no one asked I'll make my own list of US fast food restaurants. I've never had In-n-Out nor Whitecastle, I'd try those when I get the chance.

legitimately-good-tier
Popeyes
Krispy Kreme

acceptable-tier
Five Guys (it's ******* expensive tho, like I could get an actual restaurant meal for those prices..)

pigfood-tier
MacDonalds
Taco Bell

hot-garbaggio-tier
KFC
Burker King
Starbucks
Dunkin' Donuts (the worst donuts on the freaking globe)

I'd-rather-eat-a-bullet-tier
Subway

I am surprised you rate Popeyes and KFC so differently. They really seem much of a muchness to me, though I have not eaten either for a long time.

I am surprised you rate Popeyes and KFC so differently. They really seem much of a muchness to me, though I have not eaten either for a long time.

I still remember exactly why:

KFCs chicken is too greasy for my tastes. The spice mixture is boring. The quality of the chicken is absolutely disgusting. I only went to KFC three or four times in my entire life and on two occasions I was served something that looked like a fried fetus (this happens not-so-rarely. Is it quality control that screwed up? or are the people paid so little that they don't care? who knows). Popeyes chicken is bad quality, but still better, relatively speaking. Popeyes also had okay sauces, nothing special, and a pretty nice bun. I think it's the bun and the meat quality which makes the biggest difference for me. I also prefer Popeyes' breading.

KFC are cool insofar as they make their mistreatment of lifestock public. I thought that was a big balls move. I'm absolutely positive that other fast food chains have similiarly disgusting living conditions for their chicken.

I still remember exactly why:

KFCs chicken is too greasy for my tastes. The spice mixture is boring. The quality of the chicken is absolutely disgusting. I only went to KFC three or four times in my entire life and on two occasions I was served something that looked like a fried fetus (this happens not-so-rarely. Is it quality control that screwed up? or are the people paid so little that they don't care? who knows). Popeyes chicken is bad quality, but still better, relatively speaking. Popeyes also had okay sauces, nothing special, and a pretty nice bun. I think it's the bun and the meat quality which makes the biggest difference for me. I also prefer Popeyes' breading.

KFC are cool insofar as they make their mistreatment of lifestock public. I thought that was a big balls move. I'm absolutely positive that other fast food chains have similiarly disgusting living conditions for their chicken.
This. There is no comparison between Popeye's (or Church's FTM) and KFC. Popeye's and Church's are decent fast-food. KFC is disgusting.

If you are visiting USA from Europe, I would say that fast food is an absolute must-have. At least 2 or 3 if not 4 or 5 fast food restaurants depending on length of your stay, because its such a big part of our culture here. Fast food is is interesting, because its terrible, but so, so good. If you come to US and don't eat some fast food, even if its just a layover in the airport on the way to Canada or Mexico... you haven't really experienced American culture. Fast food is our jam. I'd rank top 10 must-haves for lunch (unless otherwise indicated), in terms of really having American fast food as the following. If you come to America and have at least two of these, then you've properly sampled American fast food.

1. Mc Donalds (breakfast AND lunch)
2. Burger King (or Wendy's)
3. (For breakfast only) - Denny's - "Sit down, Diner" dining, but really, still fast food, or IHOP (same) or Waffle House (same)
4. Church's (mock "Soul food"), Popeyes, (same) or KFC (nowhere near as good but basically same)
5. Taco Bell (mock "Tex-Mexican" food)
6. Any Chinese restaurant... literally any... a caveat.. there's certainly some 5 star Chinese restaurants that don't apply, and are easy to distinguish from the standard, Chinese restaurant in America
7. Long John Silver's and Red Lobster deserve a mention as the quintessential fast food seafood places, with the latter being a sit down/fast food hybrid, and the former being pure fast food
8. Starbucks (breakfast, mostly drinks)
9. Dunkin Donuts (breakfast)
10. Any pizza or Italian-pizzeria restaurant... literally any. Again there's certainly some 5 star Italian restaurants that don't apply, and are easy to distinguish from the standard, pizzeria restaurant in America
Church's in the US must be different than in Canada. Here it's pretty low tier. The biscuits can be used as ranged weapons and the chicken itself leaves a lingering aftertaste that's unpleasant.

A pigs heart. Some of the cheapest meat you can get, really lean (actually this particular bit was too trimmed for me) and roasted whole is so juicy.
Spoiler Before and after cooking :

Didn't want to go shopping, so I made spaghetti Frankensteinese, yet again reaffirming one of my cooking aphorisms. Use enough onion and bear's garlic and everything can taste good, as long as it's not supposed to be sweet.

Does anyone have suggestions for cooking instructions & ideas for a novice, particularly for foods that don't cost very much? :) Since buying ready-cooked meals from the supermarket has become very boring.

Does anyone have suggestions for cooking instructions & ideas for a novice, particularly for foods that don't cost very much? :) Since buying ready-cooked meals from the supermarket has become very boring.
Stew:

Cheapest meat. The standard for me is chicken thighs at £1.65/Kg, but I am getting well into offal as above, as I can get that about as cheap ATM. It does not matter if it is a big lump, cook it whole and it will fall most likely apart, or be easy to cut up, once cooked.

Cheap vegetables. Onions are great and cheap (give them a quick fry, everyone thing else gets added raw). Mushrooms, any marrow / squash thing, any roots, whatever you can get really, but not really brassicas. If you are into carbs you can add potatoes or grains such as pearl barley or corn.

Some liquid. Water will do, I would add a stock cube or 2 if that is all I have. If you have any wine that has been open too long that is great, I collect the water when steaming vegetables for this.

Some flavourings. Whatever you like. Any herbs you have would probably help, I use a lot of the cheap dried mixed herbs. Some sort of garlic, I am into the powdered stuff if you can get it cheap. Probably something peppery such as black pepper, chillis and/or chilli sauce. Some soy sauce, fish sauce, worcestershire sauce, whatever you have. Everything is optional.

If you have onions give them a quick fry. Then add the liquid, and everyone thing else goes in raw or out of a packet. Bring to the boil and let it simmer for as long as you can, 2 hours would be OK, 4 would be better. Make sure you have enough liquid to stop it burning, that is the only thing you can do wrong. If it does burn, pour what is not stuck to the pan into something else, it can be the most delicious ever, but it is always a hassle cleaning the pan. You can massively reduce these times if you have a pressure cooker. A slow cooker make it effortless, and you can do it over 24 hours if you want. Serve with anything, bread is great but if you use enough potatoes it may well be a meal complete meal.

Hands on preparation time about 10 minutes. I would usually end up with quite a bit, and freeze some as well as eat it for the next few days.

Last edited:

I'm totally validating Egon's discovery that we're the World's most predictable country, but heh, there it goes: pasta.

Get some different formats, use the simplest, most basic recipes, and you'll be set for a looong time. :)

Let's teach you proper scrambled eggs.

1 medium onion
3-4 eggs
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of cooking oil
1-2 slices of white bread, or any bread at hand
1/2 teaspoon of fresh or dried bear's garlic
pinch of salt, pepper or other spices according to taste
Optional: ham or bacon according to taste, and/or shredded cheese

Chop the onion into small pieces, put the butter and oil (I use sunflower oil) in the pan and on low heat. If you want to add bacon, the best thing is to cook it first and use the bacon grease in lieu of butter. Once the butter melts and heats up, add onion and stir-fry until the onion starts catching golden color along the edges. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a cup, add salt, bear's garlic and other herbs and spices. You can use a pinch of pepper, or any other herb or spice you like. Blend it together with a fork and once the onion is ready, turn up the heat and pour the mixture in and keep stirring. If you have some cubed ham or any other pre-cooked meat you want to use, this is the time to add it. The trickiest part is when to turn off the stove and serve. The eggs should still be juicy, they'll solidify a bit as they cool down for eating.

Put on the plate, add cheese if you want, bread, serve and devour.

Question: would peanut oil be okay instead of sunflower?

Question: would peanut oil be okay instead of sunflower?

I never used peanut oil but if it's good for cooking, sure. This isn't a strict recipe, more like a base for your own customization.

The only thing you need to watch is temperature when frying onions.

I let the cucumbers in the garden grow too large, so now I have vines that have mostly stopped producing fruit. Oh well. I picked seven mature cukes and need to eat them.

Here is the basic recipe.
  • 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
  • 2 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 tsp sugar (optional)
  • 1-1/2 cups sour cream or plain yogurt
  • fresh dill
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
  • S&P to taste
Slice the onions. If possible, pour over the vinegar and some salt, sugar if desired and chill. You can add dill or celery seed as well. Pickling the onions in advance is not strictly necessary, but it brings out their sweetness, making the sugar unnecessary. Blend the dill with the dairy and chill. To serve, combine and mix well. Crack some pepper over the top.

Make as far ahead as possible, so that the flavors can mingle. In a pinch, buttermilk or even milk will work, though it is a different salad with milk. With buttermilk you get some of the sour cream flavor. Mother would serve this with a chunky broccoli and cauliflower salad and cold cut sandwiches during the summer.

J

One of the cukes was too mature for slicing (seeds get hard and inedible). That made if perfect for tzatziki, so something curry-ish

Butter Chicken, my personal take.

• 1 Tbsp oil
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 1 onion diced
• 1-2 tsp freshly grated ginger
• 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
• meat of one chicken, or 1 1/2 lb boneless breastmeat, cubed
• 1 can tomato sauce
• 1/2 can tomato paste
• 1 Tbsp prepared curry mix
• 1 tsp each powdered chipotle, cumin
• 1/2 tsp each dry mustard, allspice, coriander
• dried chiltepin or cayenne to taste
• S&P to taste
• 1 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk

Sauté onion in oil til slightly caramelized.
Add butter, ginger, garlic and cook one additional minute
Add chicken, tomato sauce and paste, and all spices.
Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently, til chicken is cooked through.
Add the yogurt/buttermilk and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve over rice.

Buttermilk provides the flavor of sour cream without the fat. Be careful not to burn the garlic and ginger. For curry mix, I prefer tandoori masala, but use what you have. If you want to do it right, use whole spices and toast them in a dry skillet, then grind. Add an ounce of boiling water and stir to form a slurry. This will help the spices bloom. Add with the tomato sauce.

J

It's too damn hot today...so the only thing I'll be cooking are some boiled potatoes with leftover sour cream dip. Maybe I'll fry some calamari rings I have in freezer. And that'll be it for hot food. Rest of the food for today will be watermelon and sweet cherries, I have excess of both.

Top Bottom