What's your favorite board game to play?

What's your favorite board game to play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

QarQing

Chieftain
Q:

What's your favorite board game to play?​

A: Mine is Chess because, it's fun and interesting to play. I am pretty good at it. What's your favorite board game? Explain why in the comments

Moderator Action: Edited thread title to reflect the topic. Please note the "Comings and Goings....." stickied thread. Cheers - lymond

Last edited:
La Bataille de la Moskova

There aren't a lot of choices in the poll, so out of the four of them, I like Sorry! and Snakes and Ladders.

I don't know how to play chess, and so help me, I'm hopeless at checkers. That's one game my grandmother always won when we played.

There aren't a lot of choices in the poll, so out of the four of them, I like Sorry! and Snakes and Ladders.

I don't know how to play chess, and so help me, I'm hopeless at checkers. That's one game my grandmother always won when we played.
Cool! Follow me and I will explain you the rules through private chat! Sounds good?

Of those listed Chess although I can't think far enough ahead to be good at it.
Overall Inis or Powergrid.
Yeah but I like chess cause it's interesting and hard but I love it for that. I mean, easy is not always fun!

Last edited:
Of those, definitely chess, which is why I voted checkers. Checkmate! Now king me :king:

Of those, I'm not interested in any.

Overall, Spirit Island is my favourite board game.

griddy.gif

Triple sink score

I'm wondering why nobody has mentioned the Civilization board game? :crazyeye:

The Avalon Hill version, of course, that predates everything else.

Other board games I like:

Scrabble
Clue
Careers
Monopoly
Risk
Diplomacy
Dune
Darkover
Parcheesi
Any Mayfair rail game, Eurorails in particular
Crokinole

And these are just off the top of my head.

I'm wondering why nobody has mentioned the Civilization board game? :crazyeye:

The Avalon Hill version, of course, that predates everything else.

Other board games I like:

Scrabble
Clue
Careers
Monopoly
Risk
Diplomacy
Dune
Darkover
Parcheesi
Any Mayfair rail game, Eurorails in particular
Crokinole

And these are just off the top of my head.
Of the ones you listed, if I would pick a favorite, it would be Scrabble!

Of the ones you listed, if I would pick a favorite, it would be Scrabble!

Scrabble can be cutthroat, or it can be fun. I've done both, and have discovered that I prefer playing it for style over decimating my opponent (though that's fun as well, if circumstances present themselves).

If you take a look at the rules, they don't actually forbid non-English words, just proper nouns and words that require punctuation such as hyphens and apostrophes.

So just for the heck of it, we accumulated a batch of dictionaries and language guides - not to look up words to play, but to prove the words we used were legitimate words. We ended up with a game that used English, French, German, Latin, Swedish, Klingon, Romulan, and Vulcan. Greek letters are also very useful to know.

Most of the words we used were English, of course, since that's the language we think in. But the others were handy for using up letters when no obvious English word was possible.

Scrabble can be cutthroat, or it can be fun. I've done both, and have discovered that I prefer playing it for style over decimating my opponent (though that's fun as well, if circumstances present themselves).

If you take a look at the rules, they don't actually forbid non-English words, just proper nouns and words that require punctuation such as hyphens and apostrophes.

So just for the heck of it, we accumulated a batch of dictionaries and language guides - not to look up words to play, but to prove the words we used were legitimate words. We ended up with a game that used English, French, German, Latin, Swedish, Klingon, Romulan, and Vulcan. Greek letters are also very useful to know.

Most of the words we used were English, of course, since that's the language we think in. But the others were handy for using up letters when no obvious English word was possible.
Scrabble point value:
1p: A, E, I, L, N, O, R, S, T, U
2p: D, G
3p: B, C, M, B
4pt: F, H, V, W, Y
5pt: K
8pt: J, X
10pt: Q, Z

Scrabble best synergy tiles with each letter are:
A-I (Crucial, Hail, etc.)
B-M (Submit, Comb, etc.)
C-R (Architect, Crest, etc.)
D-N (Band, Wednesday, etc.)
E-A (Aeroplane, Bead, etc.)
F-L (Calf, Flutter, etc.)
G-N (Bang, Sign, etc.)
H-S (Sharp, Touchstone, etc.)
I-O (Coin, Judicious, etc.)
J-A (Jaguar, Ajar, etc.)
K-N (Bank, Know, etc.)
L-F (Flutter, Calf, etc.)
M-B (Submit, Comb, etc.)
N-G (Bang, Sign, etc.)
O-U (Continuous, Count, etc.)
P-R (Price, Corp, etc.)
Q-U (Bouquet, Quest, etc.)
R-C (Architect, Crash, etc.)
S-T (Stick, Bats, etc.)
T-C (Conduct, Bankruptcy, etc.)
U-Q (Quest, Bouquet, etc.)
V-C (Covet, Vocal, etc.)
W-A (Watt, Awesome, etc.)
X-T (Next, Atxondo, etc.)
Y-A (Yawn, Day, etc.)
Z-T (Waltz, Aztec, etc.)

Although I've never played the physical copy of the game (which I do own by the way) my favorite board game is the Vassal module of 'Vietnam 1965 - 1975' 2nd edition by GMT games.

Top Bottom