What's your favorite board game to play?

What's your favorite board game to play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some good ones:
Scythe
Dune: Imperium
Agricola
Citadels
Wingspan
Game of Thrones: Boardgame
and Chess, of course.

Baffled that there are people who like Monopoly. Sure, I'll play it when that's the only option on table (pun intended), but it is mostly luck-based, horribly drawn-out slog.

You've never played any other games that use money?

Careers
Payday
Stock Ticker
Billionaire
Life
Beat the Clock (not a board game, but it does use money)
Mad Magazine (the object of the game is to lose all your money)
Gambler
A slew of other Parker Brothers games?
Mayfair rail games
Many games have “money” but in monopoly central to the game is an actual money system.

Baffled that there are people who like Monopoly. Sure, I'll play it when that's the only option on table (pun intended), but it is mostly luck-based, horribly drawn-out slog.
Monopoly doesn't have to be a long, drawn-out slog. As an adult, I don't play to win so much as to have a winner soon, by trading to give players color sets.

It is still mostly luck-based, but that just gives me something to blame for my losses. In one memorable game, I was doing very well when I rolled doubles to land on Park Place which had two houses on it. Immediately my son bought another house for Boardwalk. I rolled double ones and landed on it. Then I did not roll doubles, but I rolled an 8 to land on Chance, where I drew Advance Token to Boardwalk, which now had a hotel on it. I was now in very sad financial shape, but I was still in the game, until I hit Boardwalk a third time on that very next trip around the board. It makes a great memory.

Monopoly should take about an hour. Strict rules, and if you really want to speed it up, people should GG when it's clear.

This is weird, but perhaps monopoly, it's fun, and I like board-game to be long.

I'm pretty good at splendor, but the game is finish when I about to start or when my deck is about to be powerful, like everything is too fast.

Chess is love and hate relationship, it's fun when you can pull a unique and clever game either winning or losing, but when the game quite stale and boring, that's when the game start to become tiring and tedious.

Catan especially online catan is too random due to the dice rolls, you can say that about monopoly as well but in monopoly you can always use your bargaining strategy to win the game especially if there is more than 2 players. I was quite good at monopoly to the point that, during one game of three peoples the other two just refuse to do any trade with me they just trade with each other, which pretty much pissed me off greatly and that's the last time I play the game with them. I mean, they can't really justify what's my good or bad offer, they just refuse any trade offer all together and I think that's pathetic lol.

When I realized you're supposed to auction off any Monopoly property the roller lands on but does not purchase, it went from neverending to fun and much faster. Since the properties disappear so fast, there is pressure enough to mortgage and trade. The fun is in the trades more than it is in wining.

My favorite, it's been years, is probably Settlers of Catan. I want to like Axis and Allies, but I really don't.

When I realized you're supposed to auction off any Monopoly property the roller lands on but does not purchase, it went from neverending to fun and much faster. Since the properties disappear so fast, there is pressure enough to mortgage and trade. The fun is in the trades more than it is in wining.
:lol: I also learned this in ps1 later on pc, but when we play it "traditionally" we don't play it like that, while I think that's a more strategic and interesting way of playing it especially if you customize the gameplay with little starting money, to bid strategically with correct price becomes crucial.

My favorite, it's been years, is probably Settlers of Catan. I want to like Axis and Allies, but I really don't.

The computer version I played was like that. Some of those auctions had me yelling 4-letter words at my AI opponents. Some of the pretzel twists I had to go through to get that one property I needed for a monopoly... :shake:

Auctions and trades weren't really part of it when I played with humans. With the computer game you pretty much have to, even if you keep saying no, the other players will.

I've been playing Clue/Cluedo on Steam. Just myself and 5 AI characters. No idea how to get other humans in on it.

I agree with your take on monopoly, the auctioning is crucial. Making sure the game is played in an austerity environment, i.e. no double money for landing on go, no free parking redistribution of taxes also really helps. Strict rules are best!

Now some other games can benefit from house rules. In Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ikusa you are not allowed to place more ronin on a tile than you already have loyal soldiers. One time we missed that rule and it was mayhem. So fun. We were ambushing each other with ronin everywhere and it made the game faster and more exciting and added some strategy.

Now some other games can benefit from house rules.

After some friends and I had been playing Eurorails for awhile, I realized something.

The game is too easy, as the official rules go. To win, you had to have your rail line connecting to all but one of the major cities. Taxes were low, and there were no monetary penalties for bridge washouts.

So I suggested some changes, which we incorporated as house rules: You had to have rail lines connecting ALL the major cities, so you could no longer choose to ignore either Madrid or Stockholm (most people ignored at least one because of the distance and expense to build to them). Taxes were increased. Any player who drew a derailment card had additional expenses, which we called an Environmental Cleanup Fee (real-life derailments cause a lot of environmental problems and someone has to pay for them...).

The first time the guy who taught us this game played with these new house rules, he lost. He's not used to losing games, and he grouched and complained about it. I'd won, and finally asked him, "How often do I win when I'm playing against you either in this or Civilization? Hardly ever, right?"

He conceded that was true. So I told him, "Could you just stop complaining and let me enjoy it?"

I've been playing The Quacks of Quedlinburg with my family, sometimes Chinatown as well. Although my dad prefers Monopoly over Chinatown because he wins at Monopoly while Chinatown requires a bit more skill. Quacks is luck, but the good sorta luck, not the sorta luck like in Monopoly where the dice mean everything. Sometimes Catan, sometimes 7 Wonders Duel. Not Carcassonne or Pandemic – my dad just didn't take to Carcarsonne (he said, 'what's the point?' and I said, 'what's the point of anything?') and he would rather be competitive than co-operative. Which speaks a couple books about his personality.

To me, Monopoly feels like getting run over by a train in slow motion. You know it's going to end at some point, but when that point is might be next turn or forever. But you keep trying your best to extend the game for whatever reason so you live that much longer. Then it all ends and you've wasted your time.

When I started buying board games beyond Catan, my dad wanted an economic game, but he's getting pretty old. But maybe Power Grid will do the trick... or maybe not. He's also the sort of person to ask to play before getting taught how to play, then complain he doesn't know how to play. Oh well...

I've been playing The Quacks of Quedlinburg with my family, sometimes Chinatown as well. Although my dad prefers Monopoly over Chinatown because he wins at Monopoly while Chinatown requires a bit more skill. Quacks is luck, but the good sorta luck, not the sorta luck like in Monopoly where the dice mean everything. Sometimes Catan, sometimes 7 Wonders Duel. Not Carcassonne or Pandemic – my dad just didn't take to Carcarsonne (he said, 'what's the point?' and I said, 'what's the point of anything?') and he would rather be competitive than co-operative. Which speaks a couple books about his personality.

To me, Monopoly feels like getting run over by a train in slow motion. You know it's going to end at some point, but when that point is might be next turn or forever. But you keep trying your best to extend the game for whatever reason so you live that much longer. Then it all ends and you've wasted your time.

When I started buying board games beyond Catan, my dad wanted an economic game, but he's getting pretty old. But maybe Power Grid will do the trick... or maybe not. He's also the sort of person to ask to play before getting taught how to play, then complain he doesn't know how to play. Oh well...
Powergrid is 1 of my favourites although I'm not very good at it. Just don't play it with anyone prone to analysis paralysis or you'll never finish a game.

Does blackjack count? If not Risk or Backgammon. (1,000!!!)

Last edited:
Chess & Dominion (technically a card game)

Both online almost exclusively (have played about 7,000 games of Dominion online and like 10 IRL :()

Does blackjack count? If not Risk or Backgammon. (1,000!!!)
Blackjack is a card game played on a tabletop (or on a computer now). I wouldn't call it a board game.

Top Bottom