Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Coast

Votes: 43 46.2%
  • Plain

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Jungle

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters
Doesn't matter, just anywhere with lots of salt. :) I can't really get on board with the desert thing though. If you don't get desert folklore and/or Petra desert starts kind of stink and both of those are a crapshoot.

Well it makes sense to a degree, humans do love their salt. Sugar should also be OP, though.

My favorite start is desert floodplains and hills, combined with Morocco, Petra and desert folklore. :king:

To David, welcome to CFC. Salt is mentioned a lot because it is an insanely OP luxury resource. Unworked, it gives 3 food on grasslands (2 food on plains), along with +1 production and +1 gold. When salt is improved, it offers 4 food, 2 production and 2 gold (with some variation depending on terrain).

Does salt appear on grassland? I've only ever seen it plains, desert, and tundra. Grassland gets stone and marble instead for its production needs.

Salt can only appear on Plains, Desert, and Tundra tiles.

Coast or plains although the desert has it's charms with the proper pantheon.

Grassland with at least one nearby hill to settle on, with at least 2 stone and 1 cattle around, both of which are pretty common on grasslands. If I have 2 stone and a marble, it is already as good as a desert start for a religion. Also grasslands is more versatile, the Iron and Horse tiles get insanely good when improved, and every single luxury tile will be workable. Desert starts may be op in the right conditions, but I had my share of frustrating starts in flat desert with all the luxuries being those unworkable incenses and non-hill gold in the middle of the desert (2 gold unimproved, 3 gold improved, no food at all).

Also grassland is the best terrain to settle academies.

While definitely not the best starting position, I'd say Jungle is my favorite start, especially since I like playing as Brazil.

Are some Civs meant to be much more likely to have certain resources? Like, if I have a grasslands or avoid forest/jungle bias, does that make me more likely to have marble lying around (innate wonder bonus)?

Or, are plains Civs naturally better at expansion and empire maintenance because of circus-spam (horses)?

Or am I just imagining this? :confused:

Yup desert floodplains starts are the best.
1. You will get mining lux
2. Salt usually found on desert
3. Build a shrine and desert folklore is yours, AIs dont like it.
4. Rush petra.
5. Win.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

While definitely not the best starting position, I'd say Jungle is my favorite start, .

You may very well be alone in that :)

For me, definitely plains, for its inherent production potential. you will generally have some wheat and deer around for food.

Second choice is grassland, provided there are plenty stone or horses around to make up hammers.

oh and always coastal. crab ir whales with a lgthhouse are nice.

Another reason salt is so powerful is that it's a mining lux that gives food, so its improvable early and you're not shooting yourself in the foot growthwise by doing so. coupled with the fact that its often quite liberally dotted around you have potential for a lot of lux tradingearlier than you might otherwise. i daresay it might be preferable to have salt as a bonus resource like wheat or cows rather than a lux. Also, i have seen salt on grassland exactly once, around an otherwise plains city that had 6 (!) salt around it.

Every game I start at a plains river with salt is a blast.

I hope they don't nerve it.

Desert. I don't know why, but I simply love deserts in games (IRL I prefer cold places). I don't only mean all those flood plains, desert folklore, Petra, oasis, cool desert resources ETC... It sounds extremely silly, but desert terrains in Civ5 seem so "sunny" and "happy" for me, while tundra or even plains are so depressing :crazyeye:

I tend to favour starting areas with a good defense like mountain ranges or choke point thin bits of land, possibly with a river (also good for defense), hopefully with some other nice resources nearby, but defensive terrain is a priority for me. If the terrain is defensive enough I don`t have to worry about making military stuff as much and can go full on with social and economic speedy development.

I don`t see an option in your list. Rivers I guess.

desert folklore is pretty OP when you have a double river flood plains start.

I actually don't play with BNW or Gods and Kings :blush: I was going to get BNW world soon, because from what I understand it gives you a lot of what Gods and Kings gives you, but with just a few less features

I actually don't play with BNW or Gods and Kings :blush: I was going to get BNW world soon, because from what I understand it gives you a lot of what Gods and Kings gives you, but with just a few less features

I don't even remember how Vanilla Civ 5 worked. It's like talking about a different game, really.

Yeah, I know. I've seen videos and the expansions add so much into the game.

Completely off topic, but I think it was kind of funny how I said "BNW World" by accident, like its some kind of theme park.

Top Bottom