Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Before Christ

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • After Christ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most theologians generally agree Jesus would've been born in 2 BCE, meaning he was executed in 31 CE. Of course, this presupposes there was a person named Jesus in Judea.

Most theologians generally agree Jesus would've been born in 2 BCE, meaning he was executed in 31 CE. Of course, this presupposes there was a person named Jesus in Judea.

Are you sure? I was under the impression that if any date is most commonly accepted it's 4 BCE, because that's when Herod the Great died. This obviously assumes that Matthew is correct in dating Jesus' birth to shortly before Herod's death, although I don't know why one would assume that.

Also I want to add the question, there was the year zero?

No, there wasn't. This is because the year 1 CE isn't "one year since Jesus' birth", it's "the first year of Jesus' life". So, assuming the traditional chronology is correct (which it isn't), Jesus was born on 25 December 1 BCE, and circumcised on 1 January 1 CE (the years are dated from his circumcision, not his birth). So that year was the first year of the incarnation. Right now it is 2022 years and four months and a bit since then, so that means we are four and a bit months into the 2023rd year of the incarnation, or 2023.

Are you sure? I was under the impression that if any date is most commonly accepted it's 4 BCE, because that's when Herod the Great died. This obviously assumes that Matthew is correct in dating Jesus' birth to shortly before Herod's death, although I don't know why one would assume that.

No, there wasn't. This is because the year 1 CE isn't "one year since Jesus' birth", it's "the first year of Jesus' life". So, assuming the traditional chronology is correct (which it isn't), Jesus was born on 25 December 1 BCE, and circumcised on 1 January 1 CE (the years are dated from his circumcision, not his birth). So that year was the first year of the incarnation. Right now it is 2022 years and four months and a bit since then, so that means we are four and a bit months into the 2023rd year of the incarnation, or 2023.
We're discussing a person who may or may not have actually existed. Outside if the Bible, there are only a very few passing mentions in ancient literature so it's hard to pin down the mundane details of the man's life. Heck,the Bible only covers the first 12 years and the last three years of Jesus' life.

We're discussing a person who may or may not have actually existed. Outside if the Bible, there are only a very few passing mentions in ancient literature so it's hard to pin down the mundane details of the man's life. Heck,the Bible only covers the first 12 years and the last three years of Jesus' life.
3 historians at the time speak about Jesus Christ and isn't at the Bible.
Some of they are Flávio Josefo, Tácito and Suetônio.

I don't think there's any serious scholarly doubt that he existed. The Christian evidence is enough to tell us at least that, without needing any outside evidence. I don't think that Tacitus and Suetonius count as independent evidence for Jesus' existence, because they're clearly reliant upon Christian belief - that is, they mention Jesus only in the context of talking about Christians, so they assume he existed simply because Christians followed him. Josephus is more interesting because he mentions Jesus outside a Christian context, so I think he does count as an independent, non-Christian witness to Jesus' existence - though what he actually said about him is harder to ascertain.

minor prophet in Islam
Not a minor prophet, even because there is no hierarchy under the prophets in Islam.
But, indeed he is just a prophet, not a divine person as believed in Christianity.

Not a minor prophet, even because there is no hierarchy under the prophets in Islam.
But, indeed he is just a prophet, not a divine person as believed in Christianity.
Uhm, Mohammed? No Muslim says "blessed be his name" after Jesus' name unlike Mohammad, who is Allah's prophet.

Uhm, Mohammed? No Muslim says "blessed be his name" after Jesus' name unlike Mohammad, who is Allah's prophet.
What are you talking about? All of the prophets are 'Allah's' prophets'; whose else would they be?

And Muslims don't say 'blessed be his name', they say 'blessings and peace be upon him', and they say that for all Prophets, though the phrasing is different for the Prophet Muhammad and other Prophets.

And I fail to see how this has any relevance to this discussion.

I was including ancient texts that mentioned Jesus. And al-salam alikam (peace unto you) is like goodbye in English and is even said to non-Muslims. Here's my context: Allah, may his name be blessed, is the one true God, and Mohammed is his prophet, a tenet if Islam.

I was including ancient texts that mentioned Jesus. And al-salam alikam (peace unto you) is like goodbye in English and is even said to non-Muslims. Here's my context: Allah, may his name be blessed, is the one true God, and Mohammed is his prophet, a tenet if Islam.
Considering Islam came six centuries after Jesus, I am still not sure how that is relevant. As for the salam greeting, that is not spoken to non-Muslims, it is used as both a greeting and a goodbye and I never mentioned it! I mentioned علیہ السلام, which is not علیکم السلام. And Muslims don't ever say 'blessed be his name' after 'Allah', I don't know where you're getting that from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom