When you see people write Diety..

topresch

Warlord
..do you think of:

a) like a selection of foods to control intake for various reasons,

or

b) like a legislative body of various historical European states?

It may be my interest in history triggering, but I always instinctively think of b).

I just think some people might have trouble spelling "difficult" words. In this specific case it's easier if you know some Latin.

Atilla, Ghandi, Chicken Itza etc. Spelled wrong, yes, but usually you get the point.

Same thing as deity, its pretty easy to misspell that word but still its very easy to se that the person mean the same

I usually think something like: "Oh... ja. Den Fehler habe ich am Anfang auch oft gemacht."

'i before e, except after c'

Diety!

Not correct --> Glacier, caffeine. Could I have four candles please? I REALIZE that they don't know how to spell it correctly, but thought the adjectivisation (is that a word?) would be amusing. And I actually do think of Diets, i.e. legislative assemblies.

I thought the same.

'i' before 'e', except after 'c'. A lot of good that did me.

There's a few words I misspell all the time and unfortunately deity is one of them. I probably misspell it about 95% in my posts as diety. I really don't know why I have this problem.

Who ever even came up with that ridiculous 'I before E except after C' rule?

It applies to far fewer words than those that break the rule.

Praise the lord that I have spell check, or I'd be making the same mistake, too.

Me too, but I don’t credit a deity. People remember the rule because it rhymes.

It applies to far fewer words than those that break the rule.

Somebody tried to tell me that the rule is only for the long I (eye) sound. But it is not taught that way, and no one remembers that little caveat. Are there any English words word with “cie” where it’s a long I? (No, ceiling does not count, because it’s an “ee” sound there.)

Me too, but I don’t credit a deity. People remember the rule because it rhymes.

Somebody tried to tell me that the rule is only for the long I (eye) sound. But it is not taught that way, and no one remembers that little caveat. Are there any English words word with “cie” where it’s a long I? (No, ceiling does not count, because it’s an “ee” sound there.)

I was always taught "I before E except after C, except when pronounced A as in neighbor and weigh." That still doesn't explain "weird" though.

Top Bottom