Where are the fountain of youth and el dorado?

Anndrine

Chieftain
Hi everyone, I ve hot one question, I ve got civ 5 an late in the game i ve discover the tehnology who reveals the hole map... so all the natural wonders had been revealed... all but 2 el dorado and the fountain of youth... so my question is where are those 2? if all the map was revealed, all the other natural wonders were discovered... why those 2 are missing?

4/5 times I found El Dorado. Only once able to have it within my borders.
3/4 times Fountain of Youth. Ditto. That yesterday. With my Persian's second city. I steamrolled everything.

I think it shows up fairly often in the Isabella scenario where working it gives gold to return to Europe. (victory Points)

So these 2 don,t appear in every single game? they appear only sometimes yes sometimes not?

seems like I get mt. fuji every game. but maybe just my imagination (or perception would be more accurate word).

Fountain of Youth can appear on any random map, but it is extremely rare. (I've only found it one time)

I was playing as the Pacific Island civ on a tiny island map.

This should give some idea of rarity of Fountain of Youth:

Raleigh's Road to Riches Unlocked: Jul 18, 2011 8:15pm
El Dorado
The Explorer Unlocked: Feb 7, 2012 8:56pm
100 natural wonders
Dr. Heidegger's Experiment Unlocked: May 16, 2012 8:54pm
Fountain of Youth

If you look at the source code, it has the algorithms for placement (and conditions) for Natural Wonders.

Note that the type of maps you play *will* have an impact on which Natural Wonders you see.

Krakatoa requires a lot of ocean while Gibraltar and the Reef require some ocean, so maps with minimal ocean are not likely to have these. Fuji cannot be on the largest landmass, so it is rare in Pangaea games. Barringer Crater is normally near tundra or desert, while Old Faithful and the Mesa have to be near some hills. The "mythical" wonders (Fountain, Dorado, Potosi) can appear anywhere do (less restrictive conditions).

Play large archipelago a few times and the Fountain will be there 3/4.

Play anything and you get Eldorado by chance, I found my Eldorado at around turn 200 last game, on a little unoccupied continent.

All you need is a little bit of luck. :)

It seems (I've never actually counted) that I get El Dorado about every four or five games. The only reason I even think to notice is the cash reward you get if you are the first to find it, and the flip side being that whoever did is sitting on some cash right now and you AREN'T.

I'd be soooo happy if it was possible to turn of those most overpowered NW's, such as the Eldorado. At least Eldorado should only be found on islands or continents where the players don't have their start locations.

If you look at the source code, it has the algorithms for placement (and conditions) for Natural Wonders.

Note that the type of maps you play *will* have an impact on which Natural Wonders you see.

Krakatoa requires a lot of ocean while Gibraltar and the Reef require some ocean, so maps with minimal ocean are not likely to have these. Fuji cannot be on the largest landmass, so it is rare in Pangaea games. Barringer Crater is normally near tundra or desert, while Old Faithful and the Mesa have to be near some hills. The "mythical" wonders (Fountain, Dorado, Potosi) can appear anywhere do (less restrictive conditions).

Currently playing a Small Inner Sea map that has Krakatoa and the Reef. Probably the closest to being useful I have ever seen for Krakatoa.

Not to play Necromancer or anything, but...

I've played 10-15 games with random leaders, then played 19 more games going in alphabetical order by leader (made it to Haille Selasse), so 30-35 total games over the past couple of months, before finally getting a single map with fountain of youth. I'd totally forgotten that it was even in the game. All maps were Large, most were small continents, and a few were fractal.

As others said no wonder appears every game. If you really want to play a game with a certain wonder you can use the "Really Advanced Setup" mod and select the wonders that you want to appear in the game. Also if you want to increase chances for getting a certain wonder, you can try to play "Huge Size" games because the bigger the map, the more natural wonders the map has.

Top Bottom