[GS] Which Civ is the best choice for your first game at Deity?

Leathaface

Emperor
I thought Korea before GS due to the immensely powerful Seowon but now i'm thinking Canada due to the AI not being able to declare Surprise Wars on you.

Sumeria, Australia, or Nubia because you win. Korea can still die to a rush.

Canada's the safest, as @Leathaface pointed out, as the overall game experience on Deity seems not to have changed from R&F to GS. The AI is still only a treat to beat you in the early Warrior rush. Canada's not immune to a rush by a player, but should be immune to attack by the AI until after it's too late.

Canada gets no other material bonuses to game play, though, so you need to actually be able to win the game in sub-T300 time without relying on civ bonuses to get you there.

Canada would be a horrible civ to start... simply due to their VERY bad tundra bias (and unlike Russia, no tundra yields to compensate).
If you don't mind rerolling until you can walk out of the tundra into decent terrain then OK. (I would suggest to move until you have tundra in 3rd ring for hockey rink later but make the bulk of your capitol grassland)

I would say go for Hungary if you want to try the new civs... solid bonus that help every victory condition (+50% to districts and buildings... overpowered troops that can be levied in times of defense... or you can choose aggression if you wish) but otherwise, very bland in flavor. More importantly, you play them normally as you would play a typical RnF civ.

You look at it the wrong way, you don't need peace or science, you need a strong early army. The best way to succeed at diety is early war. Winning diety peacefully is harder than through conquest.

Kupe or Nubia would be excellent picks I think.

I tried Canada, horsehockey isolated tundra start, was a struggle.

I had the easiest diety game ever recently with shaka on a huge map, I don't think I've ever crushed diety AIs this bad before. It's pretty ridiculous in GS with the new cuirassier since not only is it beeline-able so they come out faster, it allows you to make all your troops into 4/5 promotion armies and just keep rolling rather than the awkward back-and-forth switching between light and heavy cavalry. 4 promotions cuirassier corps(79 CS) was really disgusting, the AI was doing literally 1 damage to them and they were 1 shotting everything and just punching through walls without rams. And with the new pillaging, you can just faith/gold buy more and more of them.

Worth a try, but I did get warrior rushed early so you do need to be used to dealing with that crap.

Last edited:
I do find it ironic that people want to play at the hardest level but then ask what's the easiest civ.

They want a challenge, but it doesn't mean they're necessarily masochists. ;)

I would say Nubia, the Aztec, America or France. Anything to help against the early game AI rush. Even a civ with no bonuses can win a science victory before T300.

Still playing my first game as canada,Immortal, huge standard speed...

tundra start totally isolated by mountain range, room for about 5 cities...

I really would NOT suggest Canada as first civ to try... neither any easy nor a fun game ;-(

I do have 2 DVP when all have 0, but I,m behind pretty much everywhere else...

anyways... enjoy ;-)

I am having an easy time with the Ottomans. Unique governor combined with Victor lets me warmonger as I please. Unit production & combat bonuses are the icing on the cake. The civ is not as cheesy as say Nubia or Hungary, but I am yet to not easily dominate any of the games I started with.

Last edited:
I would still go Aztec deffo.
Winning diety peacefully is harder than through conquest.
I was surprised with yesterday’s game, deity Sweden. I played on a small island and only managed to squeeze in 6 cities including one purely on desert. I titled and did what Sweden does best and won a CV at T254.
I did nothing special, not a shot fired. I even forgot about open air museums for a while.

Winning diety peacefully is harder than through conquest.

This is only true if you bar wars entirely.

If you do war, you can intercept anybody outracing you and domination is marginally harder or equal to alternative victories, aside religious which requires undue concessions to get (excepting Arabia).

Hungary if you can find some CS before they die :p

This is only true if you bar wars entirely.

If you do war, you can intercept anybody outracing you and domination is marginally harder or equal to alternative victories, aside religious which requires undue concessions to get (excepting Arabia).

I didn't say domination. It's a lot easier to just take other people's cities and achieve whatever victory you want from there. Once you have the biggest empire in the world you'll be #1 in everything very quickly and victory at this point is just a formality.

Last edited:
Aztec is the easy button Civ imho. Everything synergizes for an early snowball. The Eagle warriors chew through the early deity rush and will award you with a bunch of free workers you can use to improve yields and bang out early districts. Once you get that kick start you can pretty much coast to any victory.

I would think Canada isn't bad. They get more diplo favor than everyone else which can be used to buy virtually anything. Going for culture victory enhances this further. And they can build National Parks without faith. Obviously, no surprise wars helps a ton. Tundra bias can be bad but just restart if you start off bad.

I am still on my first game of GS as Canada, and while not on Diety, I've virtually never had anyone mad at me, and been in no wars with another civ. My first city isn't in a bad place, and I expanded just fine away from tundra.

They get more diplo favor than everyone else which can be used to buy virtually anything.

Not really. It seems pretty awful to me. 100 tourism/turn for a single favor. Competitions and emergencies don't always show.

Being able to build parks is good, but also comes so late.

Top Bottom