Which Films have you seen lately? Number K'. Someone was spreading lies about Joseph 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deja Vu (2006) was good fun, and the last Tony Scott-Denzel Washington movie I hadn't seen yet.

Watched Age of Innocence last night, a movie in which nothing much happened to some characters I didn't care about. Beautifully made but not something I'd rewatch.
Love that movie. Very much about the characters though. Winona Ryder was subtly so great in that movie - just the way she portrayed a very sympathetic character and the subtexts of her situation. It was a movie I appreciated more on subsequent viewings.

Love that movie. Very much about the characters though. Winona Ryder was subtly so great in that movie - just the way she portrayed a very sympathetic character and the subtexts of her situation. It was a movie I appreciated more on subsequent viewings.
Winona Ryder was good, I didn't like the husband at all though.

Winona Ryder was good, I didn't like the husband at all though.
DDL's character? It's been a while since my first viewing, but I recall just loving Rider's character and not liking his character partly for that reason. Likewise, I was not very sympathetic to the affair on first viewing, as I missed some of the context. I'd not read the book and just missed certain things on first viewing. The second time around, I caught on to more of the subtext, plus I was more familiar with Wharton's work like Ethan Fromme and House of Mirth (both of which have pretty good movie adaptations - EF with Liam Neeson and Patricia Arquette and Mirth with the great Gillian Anderson - check em out). Wharton was almost Hardy-esque in her dissection and criticism of societal norms of the time. Her stories tend to be pretty grim though.

DDL's character? It's been a while since my first viewing, but I recall just loving Rider's character and not liking his character partly for that reason. Likewise, I was not very sympathetic to the affair on first viewing, as I missed some of the context. I'd not read the book and just missed certain things on first viewing. The second time around, I caught on to more of the subtext, plus I was more familiar with Wharton's work like Ethan Fromme and House of Mirth (both of which have pretty good movie adaptations - EF with Liam Neeson and Patricia Arquette and Mirth with the great Gillian Anderson - check em out). Wharton was almost Hardy-esque in her dissection and criticism of societal norms of the time. Her stories tend to be pretty grim though.
I did enjoy the narrator's dissections of the hypocrisy of that society in a very dry manner (and I presume that was Wharton's words). I didn't particularly like Michelle Pfeffier's character although I can see she was caught in a trap that was hard to navigate. DDL's character became a little more sympathetic at the end of the movie but for much of it wasn't. I think I might have enjoyed the book (never read any Wharton) more than the film which was very slow.

The Super Mario Bros. - Pretty fun and nostalgic movie. Bright and colorful, lots of video game references, and the voice acting was generally really good.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - "It's a Marvel movie" I thought. "It'll be a fun, frivolous, action spectacle" LOL nope. It's depressing and angry, yet heartfelt and wholesome. And just in case you weren't already invested it'll kick you in the emotional balls with a little bit of animal torture and genocide. In my opinion the best Marvel movie since Infinity War, but the tone was way different from what I was expecting.

Barbie - The message of this movie is muddled by some unrealistic depictions of the real world and a somewhat contradictory ending. But the acting, production design, and humor were great and overall I had fun with the movie.

William Friedkin, 1935-2023 :salute:

I've been dying to watch To Live and Die In L.A. the last few years, but it's not streaming anywhere.

Last edited:
I watched The Untouchables. It was very difficult to root for revenuers, even if one of them was Sean O'Connery.

Pretty good, actually. Raise the dragon ^^
Though it did become crap when the english started to lose. Seems Scotland simply can't be held down - unless it tries to have a colony in the Americas and defaults.

Last edited:
I've decided to take a stroll through some Pre-Code Hollywood films. That would be the period after "talkies" came to town, 1929, until The Hays Code took effect in 1934. By the late 1960s, New Hollywood was pretty much blowing its nose with the Hays Code - Bonnie & Clyde (1967) is widely considered to be the film that dumped The Hays Code's body in an alley - and the MPAA replaced it with its rating system that we all know and loathe today.

First up, Design For Living (1934) starring Miriam Hopkins, Frederic March and Gary Cooper. March and Cooper are friends who meet Hopkins on a train. Both of them fall in love with her and she with them. She decides a girl can have her cake and eat it too, and sleeps with both of them. If you're interested in some 'golden oldies', this one passes the Six Laughs Test and runs a pleasant 90 minutes. I went into this thinking that Cooper would be my guy, but I came out of it more of a March man. (And is it me, or does Frederick March look a little bit like Gene Kelly?)

......they're reveneuers. It's self explanatory. They're harassing, arresting, and looting people for making and distributing booze. Proud to own bootleggers with arrest records in my family line. :lol:

The Day After Tomorrow (2004). I needed something brainless, and this was just the ticket. As big, dumb disaster movies go, this is one of the better ones. Not quite as good as The Core (2003), but better than Armageddon (1998), which I always thought was a little overrated.

Samuel Jackson, Juliette Lewis and Eli Roth reflect on the shocking, provocative career of Quentin Tarantino, from his underdog beginnings and mainstream breakthrough to blockbuster revenge epics like Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained.

The Day After Tomorrow (2004). I needed something brainless, and this was just the ticket. As big, dumb disaster movies go, this is one of the better ones. Not quite as good as The Core (2003), but better than Armageddon (1998), which I always thought was a little overrated.
One of my all-time favs!

I watched John Wick last night and loved it.

The Poseidon Adventure (from 1972) is easily my favorite disaster movie.
That dining hall scene (christmas tree climbing) is still spectacular even now :)

I agree with Armageddon being overrated..would even say only the star actors saved this from being recognized as boring soap.
The Core was.................nope this time i will not make enemies here :lol:

The Poseidon Adventure (from 1972) is easily my favorite disaster movie.
That dining hall scene (christmas tree climbing) is still spectacular even now :)
Yes, it was spectacular.

I agree with Armageddon being overrated..would even say only the star actors saved this from being recognized as boring soap.
The Core was.................nope this time i will not make enemies here :lol:
C'mon, Negative Review Witch ;), we wanna know

Armageddon had the only bad Buscemi performance I've ever seen. Actually, I think I recall it being panned by critics pretty badly though I think it made money. Mildly entertaining, but hokey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom