Which films have you seen lately? Vol. 21: Now in CinemaScope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Letterboxd/JustWatch says A Very Long Engagement is streaming on Kanopy, which is free, but you need to access it through your library, somehow. I've never used it.
Kanopy cannot find my library or any libraries in Albuquerque. :(

"We are partnering with new libraries each week and hope yours will be one soon! We encourage you to reach out to your library directly and let them know of your interest in Kanopy."

EDIT: Apparently my library offer movies through Hoopla.com

Last edited:
Another excellent movie with Audrey Tautou is A Very Long Engagement, also directed by Jeunet. Check it out. WWI movie. Not sure where one can find it though. I'd like to see it again - it's been years.

edit: I can't find it anywhere to stream for free, but you can rent it on Amazon for $3.50. It's worth it. I think I'm going to watch it tonight. The movie goes well with a glass of red wine or two.

I've only had white (at a library party ,we get wild) but I'll see. :lol:

Letterboxd/JustWatch says A Very Long Engagement is streaming on Kanopy, which is free, but you need to access it through your library, somehow. I've never used it.

I have access thanks to being a grad student at my university. W00t! Glad that tuition money pays for something other than access to really pompous academic journals.

I have access thanks to being a grad student at my university. W00t! Glad that tuition money pays for something other than access to really pompous academic journals.
I kind of miss having access to pompous academic journals. :(

I kind of miss having access to pompous academic journals. :(

It is nice to have that access. I'm a library science major, but have been using acess to read about other things of interest -- history and science, urban planning, and the odd Very Serious Study of video games. Always amusing to see someone taking some element of Stardew Valley or The Sims and turning a quick-take into a full paper.

That is Ciri :)

So those apes are more inclusive; humans would never allow other types of human to exist, despite (eg) neanderthal and sapiens actually being able to interbreed, while (shown in the trailer) orangutans and chimps cannot (iirc only bonobos and chimps can interbreed).

So those apes are more inclusive; humans would never allow other types of human to exist, despite (eg) neanderthal and sapiens actually being able to interbreed, while (shown in the trailer) orangutans and chimps cannot (iirc only bonobos and chimps can interbreed).
My understanding is humans had devolved kinda like in the way they were in the original PotA with Heston, to a point where they were mute. Ciri here is an exception, as are the apes that help her. At least that is the way I took it from the trailer when I saw it in the theatre.

Now I have to wonder just what the story is going to be about. :)

I saw Baby Driver last night after strangely avoiding it for a long time. For some reason, the movie just did not pique my interest. But tried it finally, and I'm sure glad I did. Very much enjoyed this movie. The music is a big part of this movie, as classic songs (or alternates of same) play almost continuously throughout (due to Baby's hearing problem, which was an interesting conceit). The music integrates so well with the mood or theme of particular scenes. When the movie hits a point where Know How by Young MC starts blasting during a car chase scene, you should be really pumped up..that was awesome. The story itself is not wholly original, but well written/scripted, and there is just a uniqueness about the overall feel of this movie. Great performance by Foxx, Hamm and Spacey (who I guess may be part of the reason I'd avoided the movie, but actually did not make me feel uncomfortable at all watching him) Oh..and it has Lily James looking hotter than ever. :love:

Sweet and Lowdown, 1999. Sean Penn plays a rival to Django Reinhardt. Unfortunately, I liked All the King’s Men so much that Sean Pean is now indistinguishable from Willy Stark/Huey Long.

El Mariachi. 1992. Watched for Cinco de Mayo. A guitarist is confused for a gang-banger. Many homicides ensue.

Appears to be a fairly straightforward reaction to the realization that one is trapped in a nightmare of urban liberalism?

It's apparently centered around a conflict between an architect (Adam Driver) that want to rebuild a destroyed metropolis with something new and the city mayor that wants to preserve the status quo. It sounds like an analogy of Coppola's own career as a filmmaker. Perhaps a bit similar to Lars von Trier's The House That Jack Built, just more mainstream.

Desperado (1995) next?

Possibly -- a lot of films I watch with a friend of mine who likes introducing me to stuff that wouldn't be on my radar otherwise. We're also thinking about watching A Very Long Engagement with Audrey Tatou next.

Possibly -- a lot of films I watch with a friend of mine who likes introducing me to stuff that wouldn't be on my radar otherwise.
El Mariachi + (not on most people's radar) = Fallen Angels (1995) by Wong Kar Wai or Bellflower (2011) by Evan Glodell.

We're also thinking about watching A Very Long Engagement with Audrey Tatou next.
Amelie got all the attention back in the day, but I remember liking Engagement better. I've wanted to give it a rewatch ever since, but it's been very difficult to find.

Amelie got all the attention back in the day, but I remember liking Engagement better. I've wanted to give it a rewatch ever since, but it's been very difficult to find.
For free, yes, except for that library thingy. I did pay 3 bucks last week to watch it on Prime. I just really wanted to watch it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom