Which is better.. BTS for civ IV or BNW for civ V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_CatSnack

Warlord
Just wondering what impacted you more upon release, the Civ IV expansion BTS or the Civ V BNW, in terms of it completing and polishing the game?

It's not even out yet. Make this thread in another month.

OMG.. LOL!!
Epic Reply Ptoss

My bad, I thought it was already out in America..

BTS for Civ4... it isn't even close. I don't even plan on getting BNW, but maybe after a year when the price has dropped and I have forgotten how bad Civ5 is I will get it. I haven't even managed to finish one of my G&K games because everytime I start it doesn't take long before I realize I'm not having as much fun as my Civ4 games. I've read about the changes in BNW, but none of them sound like they would change my opinion of Civ5. Of course this is the Civ5 forum, so most will probably disagree with me. I imagine you would get different results if you posted in the Civ4 forums.

Age of Wonders 3 is the 4X TBS game I'm looking forward to the most right now...

Honestly I think it would come down to a debate of how much you liked - or disliked - the changes made in CiV; I've trieds playing Civ IV recently only to realize that stacking and non-tactical combat were the bane of my Civ experience in old games and I wondered how in the world I ever enjoyed it at all.

Also, a lot of people have said that Civ V vanilla was a buggy mess on release - I bought it at a midnight release the day of and I've always found such complaints mind boggling. The game has always played wonderfully for me; multiplayer wasn't perfect, but it did work.

Some see 1upt as a bane of the civ experience while others see it as a boon.

It's either or most of the time. I see the detriment of 1upt with the AI problems and micro management, but I just can't go back to stacks.

BTS for Civ4... it isn't even close. I don't even plan on getting BNW, but maybe after a year when the price has dropped and I have forgotten how bad Civ5 is I will get it. I haven't even managed to finish one of my G&K games because everytime I start it doesn't take long before I realize I'm not having as much fun as my Civ4 games. I've read about the changes in BNW, but none of them sound like they would change my opinion of Civ5. Of course this is the Civ5 forum, so most will probably disagree with me. I imagine you would get different results if you posted in the Civ4 forums.

Age of Wonders 3 is the 4X TBS game I'm looking forward to the most right now...

This type of reply is all you're going to get. It doesn't matter what Civ 5 is or isn't, in any parallel universe... nostalgia is powerful.

Civ4 and Civ5 are different games. Very different. Comparing their expansion packs is apples and oranges and seems entirely pointless.

It's either or most of the time. I see the detriment of 1upt with the AI problems and micro management, but I just can't go back to stacks.
I was always a fan of the Panzer General series, so when I heard they were going to a similar combat model I was ecstatic - I thought this and hexes should have happened looooong ago. I just don't understand the draw of 1upt OR the 'fight to the death' combat mechanic - in Civ V, each unit is more important, has a presence and you actually care about them. It's mind boggling that anyone would still prefer it over a true tactical combat system.

I know it. I am at the same spot.

I know that Civ4 is technically better, but it's just not as fun as G&K. If BNW continues the trend ( and if we get the last bugs wrung out of the game ) then I think Civ5:BNW will be the most entertaining Civ game by a country mile, even if it's not "the best" in a more rigorous sense.

I always said this :

civ4>civ5 singleplayer
civ5>civ4 multiplayer

There is good chance that civ5 will be even better for mp especially after all these fixes some days ago(and it's nice!)

But i doubt that this version of civ will be deeper and stronger in term of sp strategies and AI behaviors than civ4 BTS.

It will probably turn like this :

civ4>civ5 singleplayer
civ5>>>civ4 multiplayer

Gods & Kings already surpassed Beyond the Sword in my mind.

So I'm going to say that Brave New World will only solidify that lead. I'll find out in 4 hours. :D

Moderator Action: Can we please enjoy the release of BNW without starting a comparison between Civ4 and Civ5 in this forum too? This thread is closed, please do not open another one like it until BNW has been released to everyone.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The only way to get out of having the thread locked due to the inevitable bickering and hate wrt stacks vs 1upt is to reframe the question slightly (as I think the OP actually tried to frame it this way already):

Is BNW going to 'expand' Civ 5 more, or less, than BTS 'expanded' Civ 4? you can also replace 'expand' with 'increase(d) your enjoyment of', or something similarly positive.

basically, don't compare the two games to each other, just compare the xpacs impact on each game individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom