Which is your favourite island city in the world:

Favourite island city

• Total voters

Bast

Protector of Cats
Malé, Maldives

Malé is the capital and most populous city in the Maldives. Over 100,000 people are crammed onto the small island. Since there is no surrounding countryside, all infrastructure has to be located in the city itself. Water is provided from desalinated ground water while electric power is generated in the city using diesel generators. Solid waste is transported to nearby islands, where it is used to fill in lagoons. The larger airport island nearby was built in this way.

Manhattan Island, New York

Manhattan is one of New York’s five boroughs and is what people most often think of when they picture New York. Manhattan is actually a city island and includes most of the best known attractions in New York. The word “Manhattan” comes from the Lenape who inhabited the area before the Europeans and is translated as “island of many hills”. In 1625 the Dutch built a Fort on Manhattan Island, which marked the birth of New York City. Today Manhattan is one of the most densely populated island cities in the world, with a 2008 population of 1,634,795 people living in a land area of 59.47 km² (22.96 square miles).

Venice, Italy

World famous for its canals, Venice is built on an archipelago of 117 islands which are connected by 455 bridges. In the old centre, the canals serve the function of roads, and almost every form of transport is on water or on foot.

The island city is slowly sinking however and during the high tides in autumn and winter, the Piazza San Marco, the lowest area of the island, becomes totally flooded with water. Over the last 1,000 years, it has sunk by around 7 centimeters (2.8 inches) for every century, while recent reports have stated that in the last century alone, the city of Venice has lowered by around 24 centimeters (9.4 inches). This may have more to do with the rising of the sea levels in the Adriatic than with Venice sinking into its own foundations. One proposed solution is to lift the city to a greater height above sea level by pumping water into the soil underneath the island city.

I love island cities!

Moderator Action: Please use edit function, instead of consecutive posting, especially one minute apart.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

What about Montreal?

Manhattan might as well not be on an island, it's right next to the mainland and connected by a bunch of bridges and tunnels.

Malé is pretty interesting, but I've only been to the airport.

Picked Venice but am also kind of partial to Stockholm, built on those thirteen granite islands right at the inlet to the Mälaren lake system.:)

Only three cities? :rolleyes:

Sark will be the New Manhattan! It shall be called Thunderfallhattan, because Thunderfall is the man!

Artist Rendering

This looks shopped. I can tell from the pixels, and seeing quite a few good shops in my time.

I liked Montreal. It's on an island.

Least favorite: Staten Island

Historically Paris might qualify.
Ile de la cité. I like it fine too.:)

Top Bottom