Which real life civs won which victory conditions

Rome might be the forerunner in a cultural victory, actually. India and China don't have much influence on the West (certainly not the Dominant status they'd need), but the West and all its civs live in the shadow of Rome.

Yeah, rome did leave a mark. Their legions appear as the guys who crucified jesus in most jesus movies.

Rome might be the forerunner in a cultural victory, actually. India and China don't have much influence on the West (certainly not the Dominant status they'd need), but the West and all its civs live in the shadow of Rome.
Yes, but the east was always under the shadows of India and China. Many nations there were either Chinese vassals, allies, or territories. The same could be said of India.

For the record, there is a higher Chinese-speaking population worldwide than all other languages. Second is Spanish, with third being English. As for the whole Native "Indians", that was moreso misconception than cultural exposure. If we called the Russians "Brazilians", that wouldn't give tourism to Brazil. As for importance in the European mindset, that faded over time, as globalization became more and more prominent.

That's Chinese speakers primarily in China
If you look at the population Outside England, (also outside Australia, Canada, and US) There are probably more English speakers than there are Chinese speakers outside of China.

Many civs might be able to claim a 'local' cultural victory (dominating their neighbors/continent). But I doubt any could claim a Global cultural victory

That's Chinese speakers primarily in China
If you look at the population Outside England, (also outside Australia, Canada, and US) There are probably more English speakers than there are Chinese speakers outside of China.

Many civs might be able to claim a 'local' cultural victory (dominating their neighbors/continent). But I doubt any could claim a Global cultural victory

China and its great firewall prevent external influences, thats why its language is so preserved.

Nobody has claimed the Cultural Victory - simple as that. If this thread has taught us anything, it's that we all have differing opinions and if that is the case - how can their be a dominant World culture? If there was, we would all recognise it as such. The great thing about our planet is that we all have wonderfully diverse cultures which have influenced and been influenced by other cultures.

Just a side note on the comments above - China has at LEAST 8 languages within it's borders so it's not really right to speak of Chinese as a single language. There are multiple cultures, people and language within the borders of that country and seeing as it is one of the biggest countries in the World (landmass) it is equivalent to Europe in culture as there are people in China as diverse from each other as somebody from France and somebody from Turkey.

At this point, babylon could be influential since its ancient tower of Babel divided everyone's language because god didnt like having all these people building a tower to heaven so he divided the babylonian language that people used to speak during those times. People ended up speaking their own language and then werent able to continue to communicate with each other like they used to when they were building the tower of Babel. Theres even a great work of art about it which shows everyone walking out of the tower of Babel in civV.

I would say China and USA are running for cultural victory... you know ingame when you get enough influence over another civ they pop up saying "now our citizens are buying your blue jeans and listen to your pop music" most of the things have label "made in china" and i dare to say 90% of the music we all listen comes from the USA not to mention the movies
Those are actually the only ones i would consider close to a victory.

I would say China and USA are running for cultural victory... you know ingame when you get enough influence over another civ they pop up saying "now our citizens are buying your blue jeans and listen to your pop music" most of the things have label "made in china" and i dare to say 90% of the music we all listen comes from the USA not to mention the movies
Those are actually the only ones i would consider close to a victory.

Well yeah maybe since it has that great firewall which is difficult to influence.

China and its great firewall prevent external influences, thats why its language is so preserved.

I am struggling to understand this post. Are you saying that Mandarin will lose their tonal or writing in Latin if there were no great firewall?

Note : Chinese, Japanese and Korean used to write from right to left. While this is still in case for vertical writing. It was no longer in case for horizontal writing like it was used to. Horizontal writing used to be regarded as vertical right-to-left writing system with a letter per row, nowaday it is writing left-to-right like most language with Latin alphabets

I am struggling to understand this post. Are you saying that Mandarin will lose their tonal or writing in Latin if there were no great firewall?

Note : Chinese, Japanese and Korean used to write from right to left. While this is still in case for vertical writing. It was no longer in case for horizontal writing like it was used to. Horizontal writing used to be regarded as vertical right-to-left writing system with a letter per row, nowaday it is writing left-to-right like most language with Latin alphabets

No, not really, but the great firewall did have its uses.
great firewall

Meh, countries dominate nowadays with their economies, which isn't an option in Civ5. Look at modern Germany, their army may be good but they don't need it to control Europe and the world. They have the 4th largest economy and they practically dominate the EU and eurozone. The US has easily achieved 'economic' domination as well alongside China.

Money talks.

Meh, countries dominate nowadays with their economies, which isn't an option in Civ5. Look at modern Germany, their army may be good but they don't need it to control Europe and the world. They have the 4th largest economy and they practically dominate the EU and eurozone. The US has easily achieved 'economic' domination as well alongside China.

Money talks.

That was the one thing I liked about Civilization: Revolution. Although it was an arcade version of Civ it had Economic Victory which was achieved by, first amassing 20,000gold and then building the World Bank.

More Victory Conditions is a good thing.

That was the one thing I liked about Civilization: Revolution. Although it was an arcade version of Civ it had Economic Victory which was achieved by, first amassing 20,000gold and then building the World Bank.

More Victory Conditions is a good thing.

Is that similar to dipV or is dipV also another victory itself?

Is that similar to dipV or is dipV also another victory itself?

No Diplomatic Victory in Civ:Rev. CultureVic was, amass 20 GreatPeople/Wonders and then build United Nations, I guess that's sort of similar to DipV. DomV is same as Civ V, capture all Capitals. Then the aforementioned Financial Victory.

Science Victory was interesting. You not only had to build the SpaceShip, but then wait for it to reach Alpha Centuri. The time it took depended on the amount of Boosters you built, and you could get away with only building one of each SS part, just had a weaker SS. Here's the kicker, and one thing I miss, you could also build an anti-SpaceShip which would destroy other nations SS to prevent a Science Victory.

No Diplomatic Victory in Civ:Rev. CultureVic was, amass 20 GreatPeople/Wonders and then build United Nations, I guess that's sort of similar to DipV. DomV is same as Civ V, capture all Capitals. Then the aforementioned Financial Victory.

Science Victory was interesting. You not only had to build the SpaceShip, but then wait for it to reach Alpha Centuri. The time it took depended on the amount of Boosters you built, and you could get away with only building one of each SS part, just had a weaker SS. Here's the kicker, and one thing I miss, you could also build an anti-SpaceShip which would destroy other nations SS to prevent a Science Victory.

Thats sort of like civiv, where you get to sabotage ss parts before theyre launched.

Top Bottom