Which religion do you found first?

Which Religion do you usually found first?

• Buddhism

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 40 28.6%
  • Judaism

Votes: 19 13.6%
  • Christianity

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • Confucianism

Votes: 39 27.9%
  • Daoism

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Islam

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • I found none of the religions/Don't Know/NA

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have "Choose your religion" on, and pick Judaism or Buddhism because their icons are the easiest to see :)

The tech will be CoL mostly, or Philosophy--otherwise I usually won't found one.

And me thinking I was following the masses by never founding a religion myself. :mischief:

Heh....it gets worse. My brother players the game strictly to smack down 'heathen, commie Chinese, the pansy French, and the evil Muslims.' (clearly not my point of view or labels, just putting it out there) He gets some truly perverse thrill from rolling tanks into Beijing. And of course he doesn't play anyone but America.

He visited for the Holidays and actually got a bit pissed once he saw I was playing Napoleon.
Ha ha ha! :lol:

I've heard religion doesn't play such a big role in CIV. Is this correct? Also, when I play I usually don't specifically research techs to found religions. Is this bad?

I always pick Choose your own religion and choose judaism because of the icon and the cool music or hinduism because of the hilarious orgasm-like sound of their missionaries when they spread the religion to a city. :lol:

Hinduism if I start with Mysticism, since the AIs tend to go for Buddhism. More often than not, I "accidentally" found Confucianism and Taoism by using the Oracle for Code of Laws, then a GS for Philosophy...

I've heard religion doesn't play such a big role in CIV. Is this correct? Also, when I play I usually don't specifically research techs to found religions. Is this bad?

Religion plays a big role in diplomacy in CIV until Civs get Liberalism which allows Free Religion civic. The shared religion bonus can help get a civ friendly to you-or if you have different religions it can cause tensions and wars.

Not researching religious techs is not necessarily bad. If you want to have a religion spread to you from an AI Civ or you can conquer a Holy city to acquire the religion is OK. But not having at least one religion (self researched or acquired) makes it very difficult to win a Cultural victory.

In cultural games, I'll found Buddhism if it's possible (Mysticism as a starting tech, obviously) because stupa production gets doubled by the same resource as Confucian academies and Taoist pagodas, and those two come from the most powerful techs of the seven. The game makes it so Hinduism is only a good investment need 4+ religions for a cultural (and then only if you can get marble!) or "hoard religions for peace" diplomatic victory.

If I'm not planning cultural or diplomatic from the first turn, I find netting Confucianism from prioritizing CoL comes early enough to provide the temples my people need.

i go for christianity. probubly because that is my religion and also because of the civic that comes with it. theocracy

I like to go for hinduism right away until I feel confident that I'll get at least one religion in my civ from somewhere. If I don't get Hinduism AND it looks like none of my land-mates have any religion, THEN I bee line for Judaism. If that fails, my third move is using Stonehinge's early Great Prophet or The Oracle to get Theology. If none of these moves work or are just not practical in my current game, I then bee line for optics/astronomy to make contact with the civilized world.

I used to get hindu and missionaries to make my neighbors hindu too. The problem with that is that it only works well for close neighbors who are usually the first to go anyway. Now I just use free religion and let religions spread as the y want to. If i found one, that's great. Missionaries make great early spies. Plus, a shrine helps the ol' economy in the mid to end game.

I usually go for hinduism, since the the computer always gets to buddhism before me (I always tech for scouts as my first tech, leaving me behind in the research race).

But in ~70%+ of my games (Always on noble), some other civ gets hinduism first, in which case I go for monotheim, which I usually always get. So I voted monotheism!

And no that we are at it, I usually try to get as many religion foundings as possible, since I find the great buildings the prophets can make (Cant remember the name) extremely important... Its an immense increase in gold one gets IMHO.

I like Judaism because it tends to spread on it's own rather efficiently. So I don't have to focus on spreading it.

if you found a religon early and connect your citys early too that religion will spread the most, i vote for hinduism because my AIs always go for budism and i think hinduism gives more happyness or something, i need to look at the religions stats again...

I'm still the only one to found Taoism first. Hmm. I play with choose your own religion on so I can get the religion I want. I do prefer any of the Asian religions/philosphies, at least if I have a choice. I like all of the music that goes with the religions.
I still say they should add Zoroastrianism. And the future World Peace Religion also (Baha'i).

worldbuilder preety obvious

Actually nope, that was the 2nd time I did that. It's not that hard on a standard map if you are the only civ that start with mysticism and in a good enough location

On the rare case that I found a religion its usually confusionism or taoism

Top Bottom