Who has been to the D-day landing beaches in Normandy ?

Been to D-day beaches ?

• Total voters
Possible trip idea for a future time.

The closest I've been is the beach in Ireland where they shot the Saving Private Ryan opening scene / landings.

I don't think I have ever consciously gone to a battlefield on a visit.

I haven't been to France at all. And don't know when or if I might. But if I do I'll go there.

definetely intend to one day, ive been to some of the first world war battlefields the somme, around ypres and i can't remember the names but a battlefield the canadians fought at, and beaumont hamel, where the newfoundland regiment was almost wiped out in its first engagement, some chilling places but the graveyards were much more chilling, especially the german ones, obviously the belgian and french authorities treated the allies graveyards much differently, the german ones are small and dark, the allied ones are much grander

The vote of this poll will be screwed because it is likely to attract more votes for "have been there", because those people are more likely to find the subject interesting.

I would like to, but I admit I probably never will. That would entail leaving America for a vacation, and I just don't ever see that happening.

Went there for the anniversary in 2004 - 60 years since the great invasion (and for me, of course, the 6 Airborne landings)

I've never been to France at all. However, I have visited a few Revolutionary War and Civil War battlefields, and Pearl Harbor and Midway among other WWII sites in the Pacific. Naval battle sites tend to all look the same, though.

You mean, a bit wet? :mischief:

I've never been to America, but I went to see the Somme river in France. They kept the trenches at one place, as well

I have. But then again, I'm Belgian and I didn't go there because of D-Day, just because the rocky beach there is unlike the sandy dunes here.

Otherwise, went to a lot of WO I memorial sites with school (Ypres).

I went there when I was far too young to remember it. Hopefully I'll be able to go back.

Can't say I'm really all that interested in battlefield sites. The only WWII battle site I saw in Europe was Remagen in (then) West Germany. I saw several WWI memorials there, the most moving of which was Marshal Foch's tomb at Les Invalides in Paris.

Top Bottom