Who has been to the D-day landing beaches in Normandy ?

Been to D-day beaches ?

• Total voters
I'd love to go there, but I doubt I'll ever have the money or time.

I'd really love to go there... though it will be many years before I am actually able too.

I visited Juno two years ago. They have a museum just up the hill. Does anyone know if the stakes on the beach are from the landing docks?

About 9 or so years ago, on my first trip to the Netherlands as an adult, some of the family caught wind that I was interested in WWII, so they offered to drive my Mom an I to Normandy for two nights and three days. We visited the Pegasus Bridge, Juno beach, Omaha beach, Arromanche(sp), Caen (stayed here both nights), Point du Hoc, the Canadian cemetary, and the US cemetary at Omaha. And any Museum I could stop by on the way.

I loved the experience. It really topped off all I saw in that trip, including another trip we took to Arnhem to see the Bridge Too Far. I'd love to take another trip to Normandy at some point, to see what has changed and what has not. I have lots of pics from that trip to compare to.

I went a couple years ago. Really great historical sites all along the coast there. They've maintained some of the old fortifications, which are interesting to walk through. There's also a great cinematic theater giving a 360 degree visual/audio presentation linking footage from D-Day to the present which is just awesome and I always suggest everyone visit it, it's worth the price and time completely.

I went to the cemetery there and decided to walk to the ocean, mostly just to say I'd touched the Channel (it's wet). On my run back up the beach I got flown over by a group of old WWII-era prop planes. It was a bit eerie to be running up the D-Day beach with that noise around me.

My dad was a doctor on an LST off Omaha Beach.

I have not been Europe, but I intend to visiting many important places. I have been to Pearl Harbour.

My Grandfather was part of the landings, which is why I think he came here to Australia, to forget about the horrors of war.

Nope. Missed a school trip there once though.

Can't say I've seen any battlefields.

For those who have been there, are the rows of Rommel's Asparagus still there?

Top Bottom