Who have never played Colonization?

You must all be young pups then! I got it for my first computer, a 386 when I was 12! :)

Goodness! I had no idea so many Civ "fans" hadn't played Colonization. It was a GREAT game. I can't wait to make my Master Sugar Planter and Rum Distiller economies again. :cool:

Having read more about the original Colonization i now know why i never heard about it, i was still in the military and spent more time drinking, roleplaying and chasing the girls than anything else. At least it wasn't down to an age related memory lapse :lol:

I have it right now, if you look hard enough you can find it for free online (although I had the original game back in the mid-90s, I got it when I was in 6th grade).

And ashamed you should be! It's not as if you're some random n00b ;) Obviously the game is pretty old, but if you predate civ2 it's hard to imagine you haven't played it. Col.exe is micromanaging goodness! Now there could be about 95% of the 38k CFC members who haven't played this game, so this thread has the potential to be the Largest. Thread. Ever. But entertain me, why haven't you played it?
It was before my time. :p I got my first computer in 1997, and started playing Civ2 (and HoMM2) that same year. :)

I feel ashamed to admit that I've never played Colonization. :blush:

I do look forward to play the new version however.

Am I the only one here who hasn't played the original Colonization? :)

I played it and loved it. You have a treat awaiting you, if, as seems clear, they have done away with some clunky features in the original game.

I still play the original "Colonization from time to time, despite the clunkiness. By the way, I do hope they keep at least some of the original music.

Colo was one of my favourite games its time and i played it for hours.

I really love to see a new version of it and i hope it will be as great as the old one was when it came out. I'm sure it's more than a civ4 mod only.

I'm just waiting for the next version of Alpha Centauri & Crossfire, which were also fantasic games with an awesome depth, theres a civ4 mod for it (Planetfall) but afaik it's not finished yet and can't reach SMAC at this time.

I've played it. A great game, though marred by micromanagement.

OK I am feeling old now, but this re-release has gotten me excited again for this game. I remeber playing Civ 1 when it first came out and Colonization was a great extension of the "just one more turn" from Sid. Just to let you know how much fun it is I still play it on an old DOS based machine I have. Some of the best games ever made are the older ones Railroad tycoon, Master of Orion, and of course Civ and Colonization. I just hope it is as good or close to the original. Then perhaps I can retire my DOS machine and get rid of those damn 5 1/4 discs. :)

gah now I really feel old. I can remember playing Colonization and Civ 1 and Simcity 1 and Railroad Tycoon for days when I was younger

gah now I really feel old. I can remember playing Colonization and Civ 1 and Simcity 1 and Railroad Tycoon for days when I was younger

Nah we were the pioneers. Can't believe how few people in here played this... Would have expected that there would be a lot more.

You not alone though, I also played all those games on my old old machines. Must be on my 2nd or 4rd pc or so. First "computer" had no HD a oh so tiny memory, 5,25 discs and a tiny black and green monitor. Also it cost way more then a grade A gaming machine does now :D That was only 22 years back or so... what were you guys doing? :)

Well i don't think i have, i remember years ago playing some game about colonizing the new world but i don't think it was it. I am excited about this though.

Maybe you played: Conquest of the New World? http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/conquest-of-the-new-world-deluxe-edition Was a decent game, but not nearly as good as Colonization though imo.

I remember reading reviews of Civ1 and Colonisation, but was extremely underwhelmed. I was big into Dune 2 at the time and thought it was the game to end all games, why take a step backwards into turnbased?

Eventually a friend prevailed on me to try Civ2 and i've never been longer than a month or so without some form of civ ever since.

Top Bottom