Who is the strongest leader for a cultural victory?!?

Which leader is best for a cultural victory?

• Saladin

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Qin Shi Huang

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Hathepshut

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Ramesses II

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Zara Yakob

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Louis XIV

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Pericles

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Huayna Capac

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • Gandhi

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Other

Votes: 15 15.5%

• Total voters
I voted for the Incan. Quechas help you carve out all the empire you need (extra capitals) very early. Then ride financial to victory. And industrious and culture granaries are not half bad either. Honestly, I think HC is far and away the best for ANY victory you could name. Any such poll ought to be "who is the strongest non-Incan leader for ....?"
"

Either of the Caesars.

Use Praetorians on a Pangea map to decimate your neighbors and then expand peacefully. You'll have an easy time achieving cultural victory after you have destroyed or subjugated all of the AI civs.

Either of the Caesars.

Use Praetorians on a Pangea map to decimate your neighbors and then expand peacefully. You'll have an easy time achieving cultural victory after you have destroyed or subjugated all of the AI civs.

I thought that was domination. :)

hc. in my first cultural victory i rushed with quechuas and got 2 capitals which both had founded a religion iirc.

Owning the early game puts you so far ahead, you can pick your victory. The earlier you do it the better, which is why I like the Inca even better than Rome.

That's why I don't really like the romans and incas as it makes the game too easy imo. I somehow prefer not to rush early as the game is in the bag once I did so.
Ofcourse i'm talking about max monarch difficulty here, because the higher the difficulty the harder you need to eliminate other civs quickly for your own expansion...imo :)

I voted Pericles as he was the one I had the nicest cultural victory with. Creative allows cheap theatres/libraries to get em asap. And Phi to pump out those GA's. I actually was a pretty lousy player when I won that cultural vic with thim, but it still went smooth.
Allthough I can imagine HC being a great leader for cultural win. Maybe a good idea to try:)

Other leaders I won a cultural vic with are Louis and Ramses. Well both are obviously also good for cultural victories.

Best for a conventional culture victory (2 commerce cities and a GP farm): Elizabeth

Best for a Marathon Sushi culture victory: Capac

BTW - Marathon Sushi culture victory > conventional culture victory

Only drawback is that it only work on marathon ;). On marathon yes HC get's the nod. On all other speeds lizzy is better...

The list is a lie ;)

No Liz, it has to be a joke ;)

Maybe the OP is an anti-ginger fascist...

Liz. but three commerce cities and one GP farm.

Augustus as well but not just for the Prats. With an isolated start they are measning less. I like the industrious for the wonders and the UB for more GAs.

If i have Liz or another Philo leader and see marble, I give serious thought to a cultural victory. Marble grabs the best culture wonders...especially the grand daddy of them all....Sistine Chapel.

I have only won one culture victory, and it was with Alex (Isolated start, so I spammed wonders), so I'm not the greatest authority on this matter, but I'm tied between Ramsess and Huayna, both for obvious reasons.

Liz is probably the best for a conventional strategy. With unrestricted Leaders, Elizabeth of China with their +25% culture Theatre would probably be best, but Elizabeth of Ethiopia is great too. Build Stonehenge and never tech Calendar. +25% in all cities from the start would be good.

For the Corp-Fueled win, It's gotta be a PHI leader who can get out the GPs and found the corps. Elizabeth works again, with FIN for a CE to tech with, but Gandhi and SPI works well, especially with the +2 Happiness Jail.

Capac also works anywhere, but I left him out because while he's great at everything, but as well-rounded and great as he is, most leaders do SOMETHING better than HC does it, even if not everything. (Case in point: Toku's Gunpowder units, but an overall crappy leader with no economic support except in Vanilla)

Liz is probably the best for a conventional strategy. With unrestricted Leaders, Elizabeth of China with their +25% culture Theatre would probably be best, but Elizabeth of Ethiopia is great too. Build Stonehenge and never tech Calendar. +25% in all cities from the start would be good.

)

Why not tech calender? In the long run the extra happiness/health from calender resources means more population to run artists. Obsolete buildings still produce culture. And monuments built double to 2 :culture: per turn after 1000 years but stonehenge ones do not.

Why not tech calender? In the long run the extra happiness/health from calender resources means more population to run artists. Obsolete buildings still produce culture. And monuments built double to 2 :culture: per turn after 1000 years but stonehenge ones do not.

Not to mention that in BTS, it obsoletes @ astro, not calendar, and IIRC Zara/Ethiopia aren't Vanilla civs...

where is mansa musa?

mansa musa is the best cultural leader in higher difficulties

diplomatic flexibility
early commerce boost with mint (unlike liz)
cheap temples
skimisher > raging barbs

I said Liz or Mansa on page 1 ;)

Spiritual also saves a few turns of anarchy (switching to slavery, adopting a religion, organised religion, caste, pacifism, mercantilism/free market and free speech).

In isolation: Ramases. Founding religions becomes key and this guy is great at that; you can normally nab Judaism through direct research and with the UB you can easily bulb Theo, use the Oracle on CoL, and then pick up one more with whichever you can bulb (and with a bit of luck you stand a decent shot at founding up to 6 of 7 religions). Half price religious buildings trump creative bonuses (I want my cheap temples in 6 or 9 cities so I can get up cathedrals ASAP). Wonder spam is also huge as getting one of the Aesthetics wonders in each of your two secondary cities is huge. You also get a bonus from being able to flip strategically from pacifism to OR to FR and from Rep to US to PS as the case warrants.

Not isolated: HC. Quecha, early religion, wonder spam, bonus culture on a must have building, and oh yes he's financial too. When the AI can effectively push for culture with him regularly he has got to have something going for him.

Top Bottom