WHoward's Pick 'N' Mix Mods

1) I am looking for a unit that can plant wheat and plantation resources or a unit that do what the herdsmen do but with plants. This planter unit has not been created yet. The planter can sow wheat, sugar, cotton, cocoa, silk, citrus, banana, wine (that ones you can find in the game). If you can, you can add new resources like corn, tobacco, vanilla, coffee and so on.

2) The reason why I am looking for a planter is the Portuguese Overseas Empire. They have a unique building named "engenho". With that unique building, you can replace those resources with sugarcane, as well you can replace wine for cotton, if you find cotton is more suitable than wine, for instance. Since you have at least one improved copy of a luxury resource on your own lands, you can plant new copies.

3) Another idea is sending your planter to a cotton resource, for instance, if the resource is located outside of your territory. When your planter is on the cotton resource, you can press "get the seeds" button and the resource will disappear. As you cross safely the borders of a city you can actually control, you can plant a copy of that cotton on your city radius. If you find a plantation resource that is not suitable with grassland, you can transfer that plantation resource to a desert resource or even a plains resource for better benefits. You can plant in every type of land, except tundra or snow. Those places will receive the deers resource only.

4) JFD's Beligum allows the player to build plantations on resources that are located in neutral lands -- in that case, plantations on neutral lands provide two copies of that resource. I believe you can make this mod compatlbie with that mod, too.

5) You can have the planter as soon as you can build the granary.

Nothing I've written, but most of the required code would be in the Unit - Herdsman and Unit - Prospectors mods

Website is down now, is this server problem?

Attachments

• down.png
    down.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 248
Weird. Everything should auto-renew in December. I'll need to check when I'm home tonight (UK time)

Site should be back in a few hours … they sent an email to verify an email address to the address they were trying to verify … which was an inactive!

Site should be back in a few hours … they sent an email to verify an email address to the address they were trying to verify … which was an inactive!
Mr. Whoward69, my favorite modding tool for Civ 5 is your DDS converter. I think it would be amazing if there was one for Civ 6. Would it be possible to update your dds converter to have the correct icon sizes for Civ 6?

Just paid the renewal to my ISP, so my web site will be around until at least Dec 2021

The DDS converter is my custom creation, but the source code (in Java) is under my GitHub account

Do the following merge without conflicts using ModTools? UI - National Wonder Splash Screens, UI - Alternative National Wonder Splashes, UI - Project Splash Screens

Is there a reason it might not be compatible with VP?

From memory, can't see why those three wouldn't merge, as I play with all three enabled. (It may report conflicts, but the conflicting Lua files should be identical.)

Don't play with VP, so couldn't say.

190 of my own and 2 others (that colour religions and tenets)

Strange, I was having broken links through VPN, but switching back to normal flow there are none.

Sometimes I get the error when trying to download "You may NOT link directly to the images or mod packages (.civ5mod files) on this site. Please link to the associated mod page instead."

Am I triggering something when I switch VPN servers to cause this to happen?

Last edited:
You can't directly bookmark/link the .civ5mod files - you have to get to them from the associated .html file (it stops users of other forums making my mods look like their own)

EDIT: Never mind! I had loaded but not actually enable the mode. When it is active, there is a nice big “< Start Position >” in the middle top of the screen — it is hard to miss! Very nice!
I have been using the Rotate Start Positions mod for a while now. I really like it for preparing shared maps! Thanks very much @whoward69!

Might this mod mess with the Starting Bias for the AIs?

I ask because I just rolled a bog-standard Oval map, looking for me to start in the middle of the Pangea. I also hand picked the AI civs because I really want Portugal to be coastal, and set it up so that she is the only AI in the game with a coastal start bias.

I pick a start that is land-locked for myself. At turn 1 of course (per the known bug) I see four of AI starts — and Maria is land-locked, not anywhere near the coast. I fire up IGE, since I know starting bias is not guaranteed, so it could be the case that all the AI are land-locked. But that is not the case, two of the starting plots are on the coast.

Any ideas anyone?

Might this mod mess with the Starting Bias for the AIs?

No and Yes. The starting biases are applied as normal, but as soon as civs start rotating, they can rotate into positions that don't match their biases

Thanks @whoward69. Say there are four positions exposed. Do you and the three other civs actually rotate? Or do you swap with one of the three, each in turn, but each time leaving the other two civs where they spawned?

Or is it more complicated than that? For example, all eight civs could be rotating — even though the player only sees the same four starting plots.

Also, why sometimes four starting plots and sometimes five? I am sure RNG has a lot to do with things, but is it the case that four/five is an independent variable? Or are five positions shown if all five plots are relatively weak?

It's more complicated. The player will rotate through the starting locations in turn (1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1 …), but the other civs also rotate through the staring plots for each time the player performs a full rotation. For 4 civs (A, B, C, D) the starting position will be A, B, C, D after you've clicked rotate 12 times.

Number of starting locations is half the number of players in the game, with a minimum number - don't thing there's any RNG in there - you can always check the code ;)

Top Bottom