Why can't the "Left" appeal to the Extreme Left in the way the "Right" courts the Extreme Right?

See: the right's response to their "hilarious gag" by trafficking migrants to Martha's Vineyard (which responded with grace, while right-wingers claim it to be the ultimate gotcha of lib tears).

I'm afraid I can't parse this

The point is your criteria for someone being a "labor democrat" is evidently cultural affect and nothing else, certainly not actual background or support for pro-labor policies.

Similarly, the people in vocational and technical education programs who are benefitting from this debt cancellation are in "the top half of earners" because you imagine them to be your enemies and you evidently must identify your enemies as non-productive elites. Material reality never enters into the equation anywhere.
o g. they certainly are a part of the picture.

Your views on these matters will be valuable material for future historians seeking to demonstrate how all issues in 21st century America came to be viewed through the lens of culture-war axe-grinding with no reference to any material reality whatsoever.

See: the right's response to their "hilarious gag" by trafficking migrants to Martha's Vineyard (which responded with grace, while right-wingers claim it to be the ultimate gotcha of lib tears).

I'm afraid I can't parse this

A tweet will do it far faster than I can:

I think I need this explained like I'm 5
right winger do thing to own liberals

left wing handle fine

right winger pretend left wing not handle fine

right winger make victory post

right winger's "views on these matters will be valuable material for future historians seeking to demonstrate how all issues in 21st century America came to be viewed through the lens of culture-war axe-grinding with no reference to any material reality whatsoever."

So uh, anyone keyed into right-wing discourse on this can shed some insight on the "owning" that the right was trying to do on this? Like, what did they actually think would happen?

right winger do thing to own liberals

left wing handle fine

right winger pretend left wing not handle fine

right winger make victory post

right winger's "views on these matters will be valuable material for future historians seeking to demonstrate how all issues in 21st century America came to be viewed through the lens of culture-war axe-grinding with no reference to any material reality whatsoever."

It is a little disingenuous. There are some full lefties that do get triggered far too easily and have a victim complex against much of life.

Why people enjoy bullying them though is another matter.

So uh, anyone keyed into right-wing discourse on this can shed some insight on the "owning" that the right was trying to do on this? Like, what did they actually think would happen?
look, they're racist just like us! hypocrisy!

It is a little disingenuous. There are some full lefties that do get triggered far too easily and have a victim complex against much of life.

I see customer complaints through my work all the time and they are exclusively from right-wingers lamenting the "woke" scourge of diversity. Your point is less political and more... human. Every sect has snowflakes. My point is less micro and more macro: the acts of leaders representing right-wing interests intended to score points, real or metaphorical, against "the left." The subsequent response afterward proclaims a "look at these liberal tears" victory despite nothing of the sort being true, and this is good enough to agitate the base into fervor.

Fueled by pubbie tears.

Schadenfreude, getting back at SJWs and feminists who've "ruined gaming". I'm going to admit, that example is only a small slice of the pie that's more specific to Gamergaters and anti-SJWs.

The other is the concept, from what I seen when I used to watch SJW Pwned compilations, were using lefties and SJWs as lulcows to build up a "look at this ridiculous blue haired feminist loosing her mind, lul" straw-man.

They didn't do **** about the cost of tuition. They gave the top earning half of the country ten thousand dollars. Don't confuse the two. They didn't.

Sup, I have a pile of student debt well into the five figures and my current annual income is less then you'd make working full time at some states' minimum wage.

Schadenfreude, getting back at SJWs and feminists who've "ruined gaming". I'm going to admit, that example is only a small slice of the pie that's more specific to Gamergaters and anti-SJWs.

The other is the concept, from what I seen when I used to watch SJW Pwned compilations, were using lefties and SJWs as lulcows to build up a "look at this ridiculous blue haired feminist loosing her mind, lul" straw-man.

Ah yes, the "highlight a small number of people acting very angry and act like that's my entire opposition" compilation.

Economists at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School estimate that households with annual income below about $82,000 would receive the bulk — 74% — of the total forgiveness funds. These families fall in the bottom 60% of wage earners.

Those in the bottom half of earners would get about 55% of forgiveness dollars, according to a separate Penn Wharton analysis for CNBC.
The JPMorgan Chase Institute, in a separate study, found that a smaller share — 51% — of total debt forgiveness would flow to the bottom 60% of households. JPMorgan defines this group as having income below $76,000 a year.

It is obviously no solution, it does seem to be one of those targeted towards the middle things. Because there is an inefficiency and inequality around schooling, it's really hard to Band-Aid it without having some people feel like they left behind.

I think I answered my question as to where they were funding it from, it looks like inflation? So they're taxing through inflation.

It is obviously no solution, it does seem to be one of those targeted towards the middle things. Because there is an inefficiency and inequality around schooling, it's really hard to Band-Aid it without having some people feel like they left behind.

I think I answered my question as to where they were funding it from, it looks like inflation? So they're taxing through inflation.

They're not funding it from anywhere. The money was already spent on the loans. They weren't going to see most of the forgiven total paid back anyway.

This will be a fundamental difference in how we view 'taxation'. These people will get an increased ability to consume. That will come from someone else's ability to. That's who's being taxed.

You can't forgive a debt without writing down someone else's asset, either.

Last edited:
Isn't interest on debts a kind of printing money? Shouldn't the guys who really hate non-fiat currencies and money being created be mad jazzed for this?

This is so far outside my experience I have no idea of what I'm talking about.

The federal loans should be thought of as any federal money.

The loans put money into existence, paying them back removes them from existence. In this case, the interest is also removing the money since the recipient is the government.

So loans is spending and repayment is taxation.

How much inflation will we see from a reduction in taxes in the form of a reduction of monthly loan payments, who knows. Not a ton, it’s not that much money and it’s over many years.

Yeah, it's only inflationary in the sense that it isn't deflationary. It took me a bit to figure out, but these loans were backed by American bonds. It's not like private lenders were forced to take a haircut for issuing unprofitable loans. Technically it is American bond holders taking a hit on the asset side. On the purchasing power side, it's anybody who is poorer and therefore is seeing their dollars getting out competed.

Figuring out who pays isn't the same as criticizing. And of course the people who are being told to settle for the trickle-down effect will understandably be a little jealous. It's not like any of the truly rich are taking a haircut. Like I said, it's a classic middle class perk.

Sup, I have a pile of student debt well into the five figures and my current annual income is less then you'd make working full time at some states' minimum wage.
I wouldn't worry about trying to demonstrate how he's wrong - I did similarly (full disclosure: not earning as little as that) and he literally found it hilarious :)

Yeah, it's only inflationary in the sense that it isn't deflationary. It took me a bit to figure out, but these loans were backed by American bonds. It's not like private lenders were forced to take a haircut for issuing unprofitable loans. Technically it is American bond holders taking a hit on the asset side. On the purchasing power side, it's anybody who is poorer and therefore is seeing their dollars getting out competed.

Figuring out who pays isn't the same as criticizing. And of course the people who are being told to settle for the trickle-down effect will understandably be a little jealous. It's not like any of the truly rich are taking a haircut. Like I said, it's a classic middle class perk.
We would never argue deflation aka unemployment is income (aka, opposite of a tax). And would never argue reducing interest rates is a tax. So on those two axes it's very hard to justify inflation as a tax, and reducing future deflationary pressure as a tax.

Top Bottom