Why Civ V is more complex than Civ IV

Stefanskantine

Angry Partisan
This is in response to the numerous polls and suggestions that Civ V is "dumbed down" or less complex than Civ IV. I do not mean to suggest that Civ V is perfect in its current state (it needs obvious bug fixes and ai improvements, probably a little building rebalancing also). What I do suggest, is that Civ V is certainly more complex in its basic mechanics than Civ IV. To wit:

Building maintenance- Civ IV had no building maintenance costs. This made the decision of what buildings to build, and where to build them far simpler, a step backwards in complexity from even Civ I and II. In IV you could spam every building everywhere in your empire, without regards to min/maxing or whether it would be worth it or not. Try that in Civ V, you will bankrupt your empire.

Combat- Stack combat was a gross oversimplification. Build some melee or gunpowder units, a bunch of seige, group together and click go-to button next to enemy capital. Not exactly rocket science. Now, in Civ V, one unit per tile is infinitely more complex. So complex, in fact, that the ai has not mastered it (one of the actually legitimate criticisms of Civ V). However, I appreciate the more rewarding and complex new mechanic, and look forward to vastly more exciting and complex multiplayer action, and single player games after ai improvements.

Government- In Civilization 4, your choice of civics had zero long term repercussions. You could easily change Civics after a short period of anarchy, even that easily mitigated by golden ages or religious trait. While admittedly slightly less simple than the likes of Civ 2 (where you could run democracy, then pop into monarchy for a couple turns to declare and fight a war, then pop back into democracy) even Civ IV’s civics system is very simplistic. By contrast, in Civ V, you have to consider several things when adopting a social policy- the short term versus long term benefits not only of the current policy choice, but of all other policies farther down the tree. You really have to plan ahead with a grand strategy, making social policies in Civ V much more complex for the player than its predecessors.

Expansion- Prior civ games had no effective check on expansion. Founding an additional city was nearly always advisable, bigger was always better. In Civ V there is a very real cost to reckless expansionism. There are benefits too, and therin lies the essence of complexity. A larger empire will generate more hammers and gold, but it will be difficult to keep happy. Founding a city to gain an additional resource may help with happiness or military power, but detract from your ability to accumulate social policies. There are all kinds of tradeoffs, and the optimal strategy may very depending on your situation and what victory condition you are aiming at.

Happiness- Civ IV had the easiest and most simplistic happiness system in the series. Not only did your cities only have localized happiness, but they didn't even experience revolt or civil disorder, merely an unproductive citizen. You could effectively ignore all of those angry faces in Civ 4, until you got around to dealing with them. With Civ V global happiness, you ignore happiness at your peril. Reduced empire wide growth, lack of golden age accumulation, loss of rationalism science bonus, penalty to combat, etc. (I am aware of the existence "ignore happiness" strats, but these are mainly for specialized late game situations. Further, I believe they are something akin to an exploit which will be fixed by increasing the "very unhappy" penalty in future patches).

Well said, especially the bit about expansion, I don't think people realize how important that is.

This is in response to the numerous fallacious polls and suggestions that Civ V is "dumbed down" or less complex than Civ IV. This should be obvious to anyone who has played both games and thought about them extensively. I do not mean to suggest that Civ V is perfect in its current state (it needs obvious bug fixes and ai improvements, probably a little building rebalancing also). What I do suggest, is that Civ V is certainly and incontravertably more complex in its basic mechanics than Civ IV. To wit:

Building maintenance- Civ IV had no building maintenance costs. This made the decision of what buildings to build, and where to build them far simpler, a step backwards in complexity from even Civ I and II. In IV you could spam every building everywhere in your empire, without regards to min/maxing or whether it would be worth it or not. Try that in Civ V, you will bankrupt your empire.

Combat- Stack combat was a gross oversimplification. Build some melee or gunpowder units, a bunch of seige, group together and click go-to button next to enemy capital. Not exactly rocket science. Now, in Civ V, one unit per tile is infinitely more complex. So complex, in fact, that the ai has not mastered it (one of the actually legitimate criticisms of Civ V). However, I appreciate the more rewarding and complex new mechanic, and look forward to vastly more exciting and complex multiplayer action, and single player games after ai improvements.

Government- In Civilization 4, your choice of civics had zero long term repercussions. You could easily change Civics after a short period of anarchy, even that easily mitigated by golden ages or religious trait. While admittedly slightly less simple than the likes of Civ 2 (where you could run democracy, then pop into monarchy for a couple turns to declare and fight a war, then pop back into democracy) even Civ IV’s civics system is very simplistic. By contrast, in Civ V, you have to consider several things when adopting a social policy- the short term versus long term benefits not only of the current policy choice, but of all other policies farther down the tree. You really have to plan ahead with a grand strategy, making social policies in Civ V much more complex for the player than its predecessors.

Expansion- Prior civ games had no effective check on expansion. Founding an additional city was nearly always advisable, bigger was always better. In Civ V there is a very real cost to reckless expansionism. There are benefits too, and therin lies the essence of complexity. A larger empire will generate more hammers and gold, but it will be difficult to keep happy. Founding a city to gain an additional resource may help with happiness or military power, but detract from your ability to accumulate social policies. There are all kinds of tradeoffs, and the optimal strategy may very depending on your situation and what victory condition you are aiming at.

Happiness- Civ IV had the easiest and most simplistic happiness system in the series. Not only did your cities only have localized happiness, but they didn't even experience revolt or civil disorder, merely an unproductive citizen. You could effectively ignore all of those angry faces in Civ 4, until you got around to dealing with them. With Civ V global happiness, you ignore happiness at your peril. Reduced empire wide growth, lack of golden age accumulation, loss of rationalism science bonus, penalty to combat, etc. (I am aware of the existence "ignore happiness" strats, but these are mainly for specialized late game situations. Further, I believe they are something akin to an exploit which will be fixed by increasing the "very unhappy" penalty in future patches).

This is in response to the numerous fallacious polls and suggestions that Civ V is "dumbed down" or less complex than Civ IV. This should be obvious to anyone who has played both games and thought about them extensively.

You start with calling things that contradict your own opinion "fallacious" and obviously wrong, then insult everyone who doesn't share your opinion by claiming that this can only be the result of not having thought enough about the game, and then expect that people actually read on?

I'm actually interested in other people's opinions, even if they don't match my own, but after this start, I decided that it was too unlikely that the rest of it was actually worth reading.

I suggest a bit more respect for opinions differing from your own.

This is slightly offtopic but some of those things are flawed. Maybe they didn`t make it so on purpose, it just came out that way.

Building maintenance - can`t destroy buildings after you`ve built them. Build a wall in 2000 BC and you pay for it right up to 2050 AD. Want to switch city specialization? No, the game won`t let you.

Expansion - See happiness

Happiness - This is a failure. Maybe this system is complex, i just don`t see it. It`s as simple as it gets and unbalanced to the core. You would have way too much happiness in a Duel map and way too exhausting unhappiness in a Huge map. They didn`t balance happiness at all. In a Huge map you have the same ammount of luxuries as in a Duel map. However the number of cities and population varies alot, thus making those two map sized too extreme. They did not work on this at all. If they wanted to balance this they should of given a certain number of luxury types per map size. For example 4 different luxuries in a duel map, 25 different luxuries in a Huge map.

1UPT is the one thing they did right in this game. The whole SOD thing in CIV made me quit the game from time-to-time.

Happiness - This is a failure. Maybe this system is complex, i just don`t see it. It`s as simple as it gets and unbalanced to the core. You would have way too much happiness in a Duel map and way too exhausting unhappiness in a Huge map. They didn`t balance happiness at all. In a Huge map you have the same ammount of luxuries as in a Duel map. However the number of cities and population varies alot, thus making those two map sized too extreme. They did not work on this at all. If they wanted to balance this they should of given a certain number of luxury types per map size. For example 4 different luxuries in a duel map, 25 different luxuries in a Huge map.

I'd say it's pretty balanced, because to claim those additional luxuries you need to expand and build more cities, which increases population, you need buildings in those cities roads to the cities, it all costs gold and happiness, not to mention that expansion kills the rate that your empire gets social policies.

I'd say it's pretty balanced, because to claim those additional luxuries you need to expand and build more cities, which increases population, you need buildings in those cities roads to the cities, it all costs gold and happiness, not to mention that expansion kills the rate that your empire gets social policies.

I see you didn`t get my point. It`s much too easy to expand in a small map and much too hard to expand in a large map. See this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388595 .

To me, Civ V got the "easy to learn, hard to master" edge over Civ IV. It's interesting how Civ V seems to be growing more and more complex the more time I spend with it. The only argument I could see that would say that Civ IV was more complex was that Civ IV had hundreds of tactics, units, techs, and strategies that DIDN'T work, so you had to go through the complexities in order to figure out what did. But I'm not sure that "complex" is the right word for that... "complicated" is.
Also, Civ IV had two good expansion packs and several years of development to make it what it is today. If you look at what that game was two weeks after it released, and what this game is, I think this is a much better foundation... angry people just complain louder these days.

You start with calling things that contradict your own opinion "fallacious" and obviously wrong, then insult everyone who doesn't share your opinion by claiming that this can only be the result of not having thought enough about the game, and then expect that people actually read on?

I'm actually interested in other people's opinions, even if they don't match my own, but after this start, I decided that it was too unlikely that the rest of it was actually worth reading.

I suggest a bit more respect for opinions differing from your own.

Absolutely. I'm tilting very strongly away from Civ5, but I'm still interested in why some people defend it so passionately, and I don't want to attack them for that. If it weren't for the contemptuous attitude of the OP and their dismissal of other people's sensibilities, I would have just scrolled past this. But. Grrr.

I prefer flexibility to complexity. Civ IV was much more flexible in the choices you could make than Civ V, and therefore better.

I'm sorry, but the entire proposition that Civ5 is more complex than Civ4 is laughable. It is far less complex in design and presentation. That may be a GOOD thing, but to pretend that Civ5 is more complex is an exercise in deliberate foolishness.

This is perfectly stated.

Civ IV is complicated
Civ V is complex

To me, Civ V got the "easy to learn, hard to master" edge over Civ IV. It's interesting how Civ V seems to be growing more and more complex the more time I spend with it. The only argument I could see that would say that Civ IV was more complex was that Civ IV had hundreds of tactics, units, techs, and strategies that DIDN'T work, so you had to go through the complexities in order to figure out what did. But I'm not sure that "complex" is the right word for that... "complicated" is.
Also, Civ IV had two good expansion packs and several years of development to make it what it is today. If you look at what that game was two weeks after it released, and what this game is, I think this is a much better foundation... angry people just complain louder these days.

I'm sorry, but the entire proposition that Civ5 is more complex than Civ4 is laughable. It is far less complex in design and presentation. That may be a GOOD thing, but to pretend that Civ5 is more complex is an exercise in deliberate foolishness.

a game can be VERY complex, even if it has less stuff on the surface. You'd think that IV having religion, espionage, corporations, would automatically make it more complex. But not necessarily, since many of those things aren't well implemented, or balanced, or they're redundant.

It's like saying that chess is more complex than Go, because it has more pieces. But they are both complex games, just different.

Care to elaborate?

With Civ 5 you have to plan your cities ahead. Use any benefits you can find and use them to your advantage. Ally with citystates for luxury resourses, keep that happiness up. You have to be cold and calculating, and not be in a rush. You have to put terrain, and important resources, you see in your pocket just like the Duke of Wellington did, remember where you see good places to build cities. Come back to and build there when you can, and only build a city in a good spot, at the right time. You have to see your empire come to life in your head. Try to get the Great Library first, and gain a free tech that will take alot of turns to research. This game takes alot more thinking than Civ 4 did.

I can get into my experience with combat later. The only fights I have been in were just with brutes. Soon though, I should be starting a war, or may choose to join one.

This is likely going to be trying to shine light in the eyes of those who refuse to see, but...

Entire game concepts are missing - religion, corporations, vassals, colonies - fewer Civs, leaders, traits, limited units, resources mined not connected, policies are static versus flexible civics, pinched diplomacy that does... nothing that can be discerned.

To make the statement that Civ5 is complex is simply to argue into the wind - all evidence is to the contrary.

This is likely going to be trying to shine light in the eyes of those who refuse to see, but...

Entire game concepts are missing - religion, corporations, vassals, colonies - fewer Civs, leaders, traits, limited units, resources mined not connected, policies are static versus flexible civics, pinched diplomacy that does... nothing that can be discerned.

To make the statement that Civ5 is complex is simply to argue into the wind - all evidence is to the contrary.

look up three posts above yours... a game doesn't have to have more "stuff" to be a complex game.

I enjoy playing the game, but you have to be blind or completely sold out to ignore the flaws in this game... they are everywhere.

I tend to agree that CIV 5 new direction has awesome potential, but there's SO MANY exploits that all your complexity fanfest here dont mean nothing... i suggest you to read Sulla review.

It will give you the perspective you need to realize how flawed it is.

On a personnal note, I dont want a new CIV IV like many of the complainers here, I want a good CIV V which has yet to come out. Patching this out correctly will have to takes at least months... if its even possible and if 2k dont go bankrupt over their stupid business model. i.e. exploiting their best franchise fanbase.

O.K. you're entitled to your opinion, but I think most of your reasons are absurd.

Um...it isn't simpler. There were a ton of buildings, and you had to choose them carefully. Rather then get slapped with an absurd cost for the building, the punishment for making useless stuff was the time wasted. If you spent 20 turns building a market in a city that had no gold production, you it could hurt you. Enough mistakes like that could cost you a lot. It wasn't simpler in 4.

Combat- Stack combat was a gross oversimplification. Build some melee or gunpowder units, a bunch of seige, group together and click go-to button next to enemy capital. Not exactly rocket science.

As opposed to 5, where you just buy 4 horsemen, point them at cities, and watch the opponents crumble.
At least in 4, you had to have a lot of strategy leading up to wars-am I at a tech lead? Do I have enough units? If I wait, will they get super-defenders?

Expansion- Prior civ games had no effective check on expansion. Founding an additional city was nearly always advisable, bigger was always better.

You try to get 20 cities by 1000 BC (I guess if you didn't build workers or non-military units, you could do it) and see if that's an advisable strategy:rolleyes:

Happiness- Civ IV had the easiest and most simplistic happiness system in the series. Not only did your cities only have localized happiness, but they didn't even experience revolt or civil disorder, merely an unproductive citizen. You could effectively ignore all of those angry faces in Civ 4, until you got around to dealing with them.

We all know that building a theatre in Paris makes the people in Lyons on another island happy:crazyeye:

Seriously, I preferred the old system, as it was more realistic.

I agree with the OP regarding the building maintenance. In Civ IV, I plop every last building down and no they don't take 20 turns, maybe under 5 turns in the later years. So you waste hardly nothing and can plop every building in your list down. In Civ V, no matter what year your in, you have to carefully choose what buildings to build and when. Huge improvement in this department.

I must agree with the OP too.
On CIV 4 was so easy to start a war, take out a whole continent and as you move forward, the easier was becoming to grow.
Now the moment you pass your initial cities, if you are not carefull you can find yourself without army due to lack of money or worst. Like losing battles because you get -80% hit from negative happines.

Social policies are way too complex, and I believe are the best substitute for Religion/Civics/Corps.

I feel sorry for the people who complain about Religion because probably haven't manage to win on CIV 4 without one. Never bothered about it, and never had issues.

Btw WHAT Religion was offering and is so important? Extra couple happiness per city AFTER you build buildings? Extra money? Was the easiest way to take the AI on your side and win the game? But those things were making the game easier not more challenging.

Cops dumbed down CIV 4, because if you had no Alu were we go. Now when you went in Immortal/Deity without Alu you are pretty much in a challenging position.

Yes the AI isn't good atm, but ain't that difficult to fix. How many times the AI in CIV 4 had more units than the ones you initially crushed on first-second city? How many times did a manoeuvre and kicked you out of his country? It has happened numerous times on CIV 5 and is down to AI. Washington, Monty and the Siam guy, are really brutal, effective and "intelligent". Yes the rest of AI is pretty stupid.

Top Bottom