Why do you game? Multi

Why are you here?

• Total voters

Strider

In Retrospect
Pretty simple. What brings you here to the demogame (and preferably kept you here)?

The multiple choice version.

Thank you for making this a public poll, Strider. I prefer these.

In the last demogame, I was always busy trying to make this, well, not a HOF worthy game, but still a well played game. I think that might have been wrong.

The option that I would have voted for isn't included in this poll: Playing [civ4].

I have no interest in the role playing, government simulation, or legal aspects of the demogame. The fact is that I enjoy talking about a game of civ almost as much as I enjoy playing a game of civ. I'm not looking for a "HOF worthy" game, nor do I think it is even possible with a large voting group. But I did enjoy the strategy debates. For example, Dutchfire and I had a very good discussion in the last game about whether to make peace with France or not. It was a civil and intelligent debate with good points made on both sides. I also enjoyed the slavery debate, even though it ended far too quickly IMO. Whether my ideas were implemented made no difference to me; it was the discussion of the strategy.

The previous format, the one that everybody seems to hate so much, actually worked well for me. I was able to ignore the "superfluous" aspects and focus on playing civ. Obviously, not everyone considers the other aspects superfluous (and rightly so), and they were able to participate in that arena without my interference. It was a split that worked well, I thought.

What I disliked the most about the last game was the inordinate amounts of spam. That, combined with the petty bickering and the various demands for apologies, just made reading the threads too tiresome. The mods, for whatever reason, decided to take a hands-off approach to the forum. That is most certainly their right, of course. But except for extreme circumstances, many of the problems were allowed to continue unchecked. Who knows, maybe the role playing and legal folks prefer that format. The mods certainly need to consider their target audience. But for me, it was less than fun.

My 2¢ ... YMMV

Come to think of it, i also agree with Conroe

The option that I would have voted for isn't included in this poll: Playing [civ4].

There is an Other option in the poll.

With "Other", is that I like the Narrative Approach to a demogame, that we combined create a sort of "history", both through in-game, decisions, politics, laws and roleplay - for this to work out, we need a dedicated game historian.

The best demogames I have read through, managed this "narrative" style, giving a common understanding of the game narrative history.

Playing civ 4 is quite obvious =p
However there is, and I am sure this caused problems in the past, with roleplaying interfering with the better moves. One possible (but not exactly fair) compromise is that the strategy discussion takes place within the context of the direction the roleplayers set.

I agree with Conroe. I do like the government simulation to a degree and some aspects of the roleplay, but most of all I enjoy playing a group game of [civ4].

Top Bottom