Why does the church load-up with people?

punkmonkeyed

Chieftain
I have noticed that after I beat the hell out of another Civ that the last few of their people wind up in the church. (I like to take out one nearby Civ for kicks sometimes before Revolution)
In a similar way, after I declare Revolution, the extra units get as a result get loaded into the church.

The question is this: Is there something I'm missing about the church and it's relationship to Europe? I figured that I couldn't sail back to Europe after Revolution was declared. What's the point of the church after Revolution anyway? Up until now I've been making weapons like crazy and stockpiling tools as fast as I could. Should I actually be making better use of my churches after Revolution has been declared or continue to do what I've been doing and put the lazy bastards to work?

What do you guys think? Anyone else notice this?

Welcome to the forum punkmonkeyed [party] :band: :popcorn: :beer:

Actually when I declare Independence my extra units appear in the schools, maybe because there is no room in the churches. :)

I choose 'Separation of Church and State' as one of my Constitution Freedoms because it converts immigration crosses into bells. That way my preachers can continue working and adding to my liberty bells and consequently they increase my combat bonuses.

Thanks for the welcome.
Yeah I also pick "separation of church and state", but mainly because it would rub me the wrong way to pick theocracy. Maybe I just don't fully understand what function the church serves (there's a shock), aside from drawing people from Europe. I'll have to go back and read the primer you guys posted about game concepts.

Follow up to my last post.
I've read all the materials that I could find, including Civilopedia, and I don't come away with a better understanding of what function the church serves.

Here's a simpler version of my earlier question:
After you begin a revolution do you leave people in the church to continue to make crosses (even though you can't bring people from Europe) and why?

I'd really love some better understanding of this. The game, in my experience, by default it seems, dumps people in the church. I would like to know if there is some benefit to leaving them in there. I'd like to hear what other experienced players have to say.
Thanks

Well, everything is quite simple -- before the Revolution churches create immigrants, after the revolution they create hummers or bells depending on your Constitution. With your choice (Separation of Church and State) -- Church and Cathedral will act like another additional City Hall. You need bells like crazy during the Revolution to have stronger units, more cultural defence, more production and perhaps some Father you still are missing. In original Colonization your bells could also persuade France to send you some military, but alas that was not implemented in the current remake...

Against the REF (and only against them) you get an additional combat bonus calculated as (Rebel Sentiment – 50%). So if your Rebel Sentiment is 70% you get a combat bonus of 20%, equivalent to two veteran promotions. If you can get your Rebel Sentiment up to 100% then your combat bonus is a whopping 50% and makes a huge difference in your battles with the REF.

Rebel Sentiment is solely based on Liberty bells per turn, so the more Liberty bells you produce the higher your Rebel Sentiment will be.

If you choose 'Separation of Church and State' as one of your Constitutional freedoms your preachers switch from cross production to liberty bell production so they are directly increasing your Rebel Sentiment and hence your combat bonus.

dalgo it is 50% out of Sentiment %, so 70% means 35% bonus ;)

I like Theocracy, it lets me get my last few SOTL out when I go for a full navy war.

I wish the rebel sentiment bonus was as dalgo said, it really should be, but I think in the last patch its just a flat sentiment\2

I wish the rebel sentiment bonus was as dalgo said, it really should be, but I think in the last patch its just a flat sentiment\2

I am playing the patched game and just to check I ran a test of the rebel sentiment combat bonus. I went back to a save from my last game, the REF had just landed and my RS was at 66%. My first attack was with a dragoon and the combat log clearly shows that he had a rebel sentiment bonus of 16%. That is 66% minus 50, as stated in the manual.

The added bonus vs. REF is any RS over the 50%. So if you have a 75% RS then the soldier will have a 25% bonus vs. REF. When you separate church from state, people in the church will give more RS. With theocracy, people in the church will build more.

Top Bottom