• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Why hasnt anyone told me about this game!

I'm kinda sad to be born so late, that I never had the joy of Civ I & II. Got Civ3 as 11 or so.

CouldCiv 1/2 be played on XP/Vista/The next one?
And is it worth climbing down the Civ Ladder to enjoy 'em? (that would waste preciously Civ4 time!)

As the American Eagle clothing outlet says "Respect classics" ! XD

There is an excellent program called DOSBox which emulates the old DOS environment, you could try that... though actually I think I tried that with the original [civ1] and my units didn't blink in and out - civ 1's way of letting you know which unit you needed to move :/

No experience with [civ2], you have nothing to lose by trying with either game. I was born with Civ in my dad's computer and a gleam in my eye :rockon:

I'm kinda sad to be born so late, that I never had the joy of Civ I & II. Got Civ3 as 11 or so.

And is it worth climbing down the Civ Ladder to enjoy 'em? (that would waste preciously Civ4 time!)

stick with Civ 4. you would only be annoyed by the lack of depth in the older versions, compared with Civ 4. to be fair, all games should be judged in their own time. as I remember it in the original Civ, if you had 10 units in one space and they were attacked, all of them died if you lost one single attack. bet you wouldn't like to see that happen, eh?

In my experience, yes.

stick with Civ 4. you would only be annoyed by the lack of depth in the older versions, compared with Civ 4.

Well, I wouldn't be so quick to judge. The minimalism of civ1 and civ2 has its elegance.

Plus, combat is very much decided on a dice roll, and the AI will pretty much have it out for you all the time.

They have a kind of DeVo charm to them now, I'm sure, but I don't think you'll love their game mechanics.

Surprisingly besides being a total computer gaming whore in the late 80's & early 90's... i wasn't really interested in Civ I & II when they were making their rounds. Sure i saw them in Babbages etc. But i always had other games i wanted. (i was a flight sim junkie).

Eventually, I got Civ III and played it abit, but i always found myself saying "so what?". I build some cities, build some buildings and units etc. but the combat was so boring and alot of it was just too tedious for my tastes. im like where's the fun?

Civ IV comes and initially i feel the same way about it, but it's alittle better. I played it for abit and put it away. Then some months later im bored and try it again, and feel alittle better about it.. but put it away again. This goes on a few times, until one day i really start understanding the mechanics and city specialization and then im completely hooked on it.

i've litterally had dreams about moving workers around and planning out city sites.

no lie.

Top Bottom