Why is Mutual Protection Pact easier than Military Alliance?

Mannerheimer

Chieftain
I was playing this game on emperor difficulty as the Greeks on Pangea map. Having the largest empire but not by much, with some civs having a stronger military according to the advisor (but not really when accounting for modernity of units). During the whole game I made sure to have an impeccable reputation in trade, war and ROP. While building up my cavalry some other civs had some wars, but made peace. When I was ready to go to war it was impossible to get any civ (all democracies) to join me against any other civ, even though I had techs that they valued at thousands of gold and hundreds of gold per turn. But, with nationalism, all of them would accept a mutual protection pact for free. So I ended up making MPP with everybody except the guy I wanted to invade and then tell him to remove his troops from my territory and he declared war.

Question: Is this a known game mechanic/exploit? Is this how you're supposed to make military alliances?

Thanks!

You need to declare war first. When you are at war with the target already, most nations will easily join you in a military alliance. It may cost a few gtp or sometimes more than just a few. But if you start with weakers and therefore cheaper nations first, the price for a military alliance will drop as the overall strength ratio will make the war much more feasible. This may also explain why AI is uneager to join into war against a nation not at war already. So that is a bit of a bug, but easily to avoid. Just declare war first.

Top Bottom