Why nuclear subs can't dive under the ice ?

No, you're not.

I mean if it was an enormous block of ice it'd make sense since subs don't have infinite depth reach and icebergs are 90% underwater (or if it's an actual continent just covered in ice obviously), but for just thin ice flakes then yeah of course you should be able to go under it. Perhaps you should add two different kinds of sea ice in Civ 6: "thin ice" which subs can go under, and "thick ice" which subs can't go under. Maybe?

I think "ice" in civ 6 is meant to be more like Antarctica, where it's totally unpassable by all. Otherwise you can often see the water by the ice caps as having icebergs in them, but they're still passable by all ships.

Subs going under ice was a saving grace in Civ V. This is downright stupid.

How the heck was that the one feature that saved the game? In the hundreds of hours playing, I can only think of a few times it even was super useful (typically maps with not normal water route around a continent). I guess you were nuking everyone all the time?

I have found that map generation in Civ VI does tend to block circumnavigation due to ice blockage at the poles. It would be nice if you can at least either go under it or have an icebreaker that allows you to traverse. Being limited to one side or the other is not too fun.

I totally agree. This is one of the reasons I'm so eager for the SDK to be released so I can create proper maps myself :)

for the same reason sub's cant dive under Antarctic.
Modern nuclear-powered submarines can (and frequently do) travel beneath polar ice caps. Why wouldn't they? Unlike older subs they don't need to surface to vent diesel exhaust or recharge batteries, they can stay down for months at a time if required. At the end of the day if you have no need to surface you have no need to worry about the ice above you.

I do take your point that you can't travel under Antartica itself but, as I'm sure you know, this isn't ice related. It's because Antartica is an actual continent that happens to have a lot of ice on it by co-incidence of latitude. You can certainly travel under the massive ice-pack that surrounds the land portion though. At least until it all melts anyway.

Modern nuclear-powered submarines can (and frequently do) travel beneath polar ice caps. Why wouldn't they? Unlike older subs they don't need to surface to vent diesel exhaust or recharge batteries, they can stay down for months at a time if required. At the end of the day if you have no need to surface you have no need to worry about the ice above you.

I do take your point that you can't travel under Antartica itself but, as I'm sure you know, this isn't ice related. It's because Antartica is an actual continent that happens to have a lot of ice on it by co-incidence of latitude. You can certainly travel under the massive ice-pack that surrounds the land portion though. At least until it all melts anyway.

Has the patch fixed this issue ? Thx

This. You should be able to pass under the ice. But Civ games seem to veer from reality more and more with each passing version.

This. You should be able to pass under the ice. But Civ games seem to veer from reality more and more with each passing version.

Agreed, just like when nuclear subs attack other subs with missiles, that's Hollywood stuff, ridiculous.

Even the US' first nuclear sub (the "Nautilus") could go as deep as 700 ft.
http://www.submarinemuseum.org/nautilus/nautilusFaqs.shtml

And I don't really mind that solid ice tiles are now impassable (if they're meant to represent ice covered land, not "floating" ice).

However: If that's what the game is trying to portray here, I think that they should make the "broken ice"-tiles impassable - at least to earlier ships that wouldn't stand a chance of navigating an ice-field. Good luck trying to navigate a trireme-like ship through that kind of sea in real life.. :D

Getting slightly OT here: I also think it's a bad idea to grant pre-caravel units the ability to enter ocean tiles once cartography is discovered. Heck, you don't even have to move them into friendly territory to "unlock" that ability (like you had to do to give land-units the embarkation-promotion in Civ V).

S.

Unlike Civ5 subs are not automaticly detected when entering enemy tiles, so you can use them as spotters for the 3 range/2 sight battleships. That for me more than makes up for the ice thingie.

Top Bottom