Why would ANYONE play Suleiman?

First - Ottos are my default civ
Second - Passive specialty is horrible but the Janissaries are great.
Third - Soundtrack is stupendous.
Fourth - To avoid running into Ottos in game and having to listen to Suleiman the Magnificent sound like a 22 year old engineering student.

oo I like he soundtrack too..another reason Ottos are the best civ!

Janissiary upgraded to rifleman keeps its ability.

^this
+ You can upgrade it all the way to mech. inf. An army of instantly healing janissary>rifleman>infantry>mech inf. is truly incredible! This alone assures a domination victory after the medieval era if you use it well enough.

and I agree, the soundtrack is ridiculously relevant/good. :thumbsup: goes to whoever worked on it in 2k.

It's the worst passive, but you get fantastic unit in the janissary. And I think you keep that blood drinker ability when you upgrading them.

Bismark's is a better but not by much. Assuming you play on the harder levels, it's pretty much useless unless you get very lucky. Usually you don't even want to kill a barb camp because you just know that a nearby citystate is going to call asking to remove it at any time.

How many times did you move a ship next to a pirate ship? You get nothing for killing the barbarian ship, you convert it by moving next to it.

Wow, this is why I went 1/8 in converting barbarian ships in my game as the Ottomans! After I accidentally got the first one, i kept bombing and destroying the galleys with the 2 trireme's I then had.

Didn't matter though, cause I was well on my way to a domination victory with an army full of upgraded Janissaries.

^this
+ You can upgrade it all the way to mech. inf. An army of instantly healing janissary>rifleman>infantry>mech inf. is truly incredible! This alone assures a domination victory after the medieval era if you use it well enough.

and I agree, the soundtrack is ridiculously relevant/good. :thumbsup: goes to whoever worked on it in 2k.

I didn't know that. Can you do the same with Rome's legions to get mechs that are building roads?:scan:

With such a poor navy ai at present and the fact that their UA is only good on specific maps it is rather weak. On the other hand Jannissaries are always a serious threat in most of my games.

Balance is overrated. If multiplayers want a totally even playing-field it seems to me they should just turn barbarians and city states off and play as the same civ, or maybe 2 or 3 in the same "balance tier". I imagine it would be hard to balance three races in Starcraft and doing so with 18+ different civs would be near impossible.

I don't think they're all that underpowered. Janissaries are great, especially when upgraded to riflemen. As others have mentioned, they keep their heal when they kill an enemy. Their two unique units are both solid, which helps to make up for their weak ability. I do think they're on the weak side overall, though. But in the long run, it's all about maximizing your advantages.

Comparing the balance of Starcraft, with three completely unique races with different tech trees, units, upgrades, etc to a game where 95% of the things are the same, save one ability and two units/buildings, is pretty silly in my opinion. It's a lot easier to balance just a few unique traits!

Hopefully in a patch or two the civs will be a bit more balanced overall.

Janissaries kick ass, Sipahis are pretty good too and come in the same era making the Ottomans a Renaissance Era power civ. UA is pretty bad unless you're playing on a watery map with lots of barbs in which case it's average-good. They are the only other Ren Era power civ apart from France.

I suppose if you play as a Random Leader you're bound to draw Ottomans at some point.

What an insightful statement! :p

First - Ottos are my default civ
Second - Passive specialty is horrible but the Janissaries are great.
Third - Soundtrack is stupendous.
Fourth - To avoid running into Ottos in game and having to listen to Suleiman the Magnificent sound like a 22 year old engineering student.

Thats funny because Jannisaries were part of Byznantine empire then consumed by Ottomans later. Makes no sense to give them over as a unique character

Question: Does the American's unique ability mean that siege equipment has the standard vision range?

I didn't know that. Can you do the same with Rome's legions to get mechs that are building roads?:scan:

Don't know, Rome is going to be next one after I finish this Ottoman game. It wouldn't be that useful anyway though. I never need a lot of road construction after the classical age (at least nothing the workers can't handle), but the instant healing is always useful..Actually one can say that it's even overpowered a bit..

Played as him over the weekend. Janissaries and upgraded Riflemen/Infantry are really good if you beeline them, especially fighting against computers which over-extend themselves and leave damaged units out in the front lines.

Sipahi are just passable, and his trait is cute, but nothing special. It's not bad to get extra ships for controlling the water on the map, and I converted a pretty good number of ships, but it's still likely the worst civilization bonus in the game.

From my understanding, Legionnaires that get upgraded don't keep road building, because it's not tagged as an upgrade, whereas the healing ability of Janissaries, Immortals, and Jaguars are.

Top Bottom