Wild Mana for FFH 2

Sephi, any ETA for the next patch? I'm very interested by your work on the religion AI. I also tend to think that I'll add some (if not all) of your AI tweaks into my own mod (and in Orbis, I think).
no ETA. If you want a better AI for Orbis, I suggest you start by teaching the AI how to tech (in AI_choosetech gameutils.py). Unless there are plans to totally change the techtree of your mod in the future. Feel free to use any of my code, but it is designed for FFH2, not Orbis :p

One thing I'm still not sure about: does your tweaks enhance the AI naval abilities?
Well, they research the naval technologies, so they are little bit better in naval warfare. Haven't worked on that area yet though.

While I have patched to 2.2, I've noticed a few problems.

1. As the Svartalfar, whenever one of my units acquires a promotion, the mouse-over popup that lists all their promotions, their strength, movement, action, etc. is broken. Seems to be a repeating list of Ancient Forest promotions.

2. You'll see it in the same screenshot- I conquered a Spirit Node's Guardian Monk (Using like 13 warriors, ugh) and managed to get the spellbook, which I gave to this adept. At first, everything was working fine, but then randomly she lost the ability to cast most of her spells (but still has the promotions) and the only icons she has available are Autocast ones which aren't working.

I went to edit some of her promotions on and off but it didn't re-enable anything for some reason.

3. What is up with Varn Gosam? He's consistently 300 points ahead of me and several technologies in every game. :( Noble difficulty.

4. How do we access Creation and Force mana? I can't seem to build any nodes with them even with the prerequisite technologies.

1. Add it to the first post so I don't forget to take care of it in a later patch
2. normal Amurite Worldspell effect
3. Malakim get +1 :commerce: from Desert, in combination with a floodplain start pretty powerfull.
4. They only show up as Wild Mana (since they are quite powerful like Ice Mana)

no ETA. If you want a better AI for Orbis, I suggest you start by teaching the AI how to tech (in AI_choosetech gameutils.py). Unless there are plans to totally change the techtree of your mod in the future. Feel free to use any of my code, but it is designed for FFH2, not Orbis :p
Yeah, I already did that, following Turinturimbar's modmod. Was hard to replace it in the Orbis' context rather than in FFH's, though. I will check your GameUtils :)

As a side note, do you think it would be a good idea to merge in Better BTS AI? I guess it would, even if I would eventually need your AI to enhance AI spell-using :lol:

As a side note, do you think it would be a good idea to merge in Better BTS AI? I guess it would, even if I would eventually need your AI to enhance AI spell-using :lol:

There is a good reason Better BTS AI isn't part of FFH2, basically slows things down without doing much (some of it is part of 3.19 now anyway I think :lol:). The only thing where it actually makes things better is naval warfare and in that case I would suggest to take a look at Skyres Mod.

Just wanted to give a small feedback. I tried a few games, quite impressive. Had to quit playing deity to say the least, and lost on immortal, too.
I've won a game with king+flexible, means deity after some turns, but that was partly due to erebuscontinents and massive magic use.

One thing which bothered me was Hyborem, i kind of beelined him in a king game and got crushed twice, the AI builds really huge stacks.
This is not only to their advantage, it seems they have only a single huge stack, makes them quite unflexible if some birds provide recon.
Is the "one unmovable unit blocks the whole stack" still in play?

Anyhow, very impressive work, i think i'll stay with wildmana!
(besides, i love regenerate map :D )

p.s.
please disable "this city will shrink" warnings for hyborem, floods the whole area, and no, my demonic citizens are perfectly contempt :D

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to add assaultgroups and reinforcementgroups to make the Stacks of doom even more scary. If a unit is immobile (blinding light, etc.) it will leave the group, so the other units will move on.

You can disable the "this city will shrink" alerts in the BUG Menu I think.

[to_xp]Gekko;8330362 said:
still on the topic of Svartalfar's religious behaviour, another great reason to go FoL before switching to CoE: PRIESTS OF LEAVES!! they should definitely get some built asap and keep them safe to bloom their lands after they go with Esus. ;)

What does asap mean? After hunting? After Hidden path? After sorcery? after taxation? :crazyeye:

eh, I'm not the AI expert, but I envision it as "as soon as they can build them ( priesthood+temple of leaves, in cities that don't have something really really vital to build immediately" does that do anything for you? :lol:

edit: hey, I'm curious to know one thing. what are those weird results that you sometimes get from the conquest AI behaviour? :D

[to_xp]Gekko;8334827 said:
eh, I'm not the AI expert, but I envision it as "as soon as they can build them ( priesthood+temple of leaves, in cities that don't have something really really vital to build immediately" does that do anything for you? :lol:
well, it's a good starting point probably :)

[to_xp]Gekko;8334827 said:
edit: hey, I'm curious to know one thing. what are those weird results that you sometimes get from the conquest AI behaviour? :D
Well, mostly gone in next version. The Defense was sometimes a bit suboptimal.

Just Autoplayed a duel map Sheaim vs. Amurites on a donut map. Amurites took a lead and looked like the winner when Sheaim rushed them with pyre zombies. Amurites quickly lost cities but managed to research bowyers. Weren't able to build firebows in time though since they had build training yards instead of archery ranges and swordsman were no match for pyre zombies.

A bit weird though, at the end the whole map was Hell terrain and the AC was only at 20 :crazyeye: Maybe the Sheaim should raze more cities?

not really. they should raze crappy and distant cities like anyone else, but don't forget that they can build planar gates in cities they keep . ;)

"Lots of AI Improvements related to Religion. Flavour Values also have a much bigger impact on AI religion Behavior."

this sounds awesome. it also means that if AV has not been founded it and there's still someone without a religion, instead of adopting the same old RoK or FoL that everyone has, they're going to found AV for the pretty heroes I guess. should make the game a hell of a lot more fun.

will civs also value greatly techs that giv them religion-specific civics, aside from the heroes? like hidden paths for guardian of nature for example, or infernal pact for sacrifice the weak?

[to_xp]Gekko;8337755 said:
this sounds awesome. it also means that if AV has not been founded it and there's still someone without a religion, instead of adopting the same old RoK or FoL that everyone has, they're going to found AV for the pretty heroes I guess. should make the game a hell of a lot more fun.
Depends on the leader personality. Don't expect to see Ethne go AV just because the Bannor and Malakim already follow Order/Emyprean. The Hippus leaders for example though will gladly follow any religion that still offers powerful heroes.

[to_xp]Gekko;8337755 said:
will civs also value greatly techs that giv them religion-specific civics, aside from the heroes? like hidden paths for guardian of nature for example, or infernal pact for sacrifice the weak?
Yes, of course :D

any idea where to move the "Production disabled" etc. messages from the worldspells? Right now are displayed on top of the scores which isn't good at all. I am thinking of moving them below the "field of view".

If you create a DDS image which is a semi-transparent red X, you could quite easily modify the City Screen to display that big 'ole X across your production selection area. Then also display it on the main screen somewhere obvious but out of the way. Or since Techs are also disabled at that time you could just overlay it in that location and it'd stand out pretty well for people.

Though a more creative solution would be a non-transparent block of ice over the same two locations :)

What does asap mean? After hunting? After Hidden path? After sorcery? after taxation? :crazyeye:

After hunting (obviously), before taxation and sorcery I'd say. But that is just what my hungover-intuition told me, so...

:coffee:

Top Bottom