Will C2C be to much?

mcshame

Warlord
I'm a new Civ player and started with CIV V. Put 200+ hours into it.

I was eye balling CIV IV complete in a steam sale a was wondering if playing Civ IV modded with C2C will be too much of a learning curve to start without a base of CIV IV experience. I am really drawn by this concept and it seems CIV IV mods excel in this area compared to CIV V.

C2C is your game if you want tons and tons of content and deep, tactical gameplay. I would recommend getting comfortable with the basic Civ 4 mechanics before trying C2C. Even then, it's a learning curve.

If you play C2C and then go back to plain Civ 4, Civ 4 looks so sterile and pathetic. You'll wonder how such a tiny game could be released.

C2C is your game if you want tons and tons of content and deep, tactical gameplay. I would recommend getting comfortable with the basic Civ 4 mechanics before trying C2C. Even then, it's a learning curve.

If you play C2C and then go back to plain Civ 4, Civ 4 looks so sterile and pathetic. You'll wonder how such a tiny game could be released.

lol!

This is actually a really interesting question. Vanilla is probably a little easier to grasp the basic tenants of and most of them transfer to C2C seamlessly. I suppose it would not be truly necessary to play vanilla first but C2C might be a little less appreciated if you didn't get a true grasp of the difference. And there are some things we don't quite have right yet that vanilla did, imo, but we're getting there with those elements. Again, it would be hard to see this without understanding the difference.

As to whether it would be 'too much', it would be an interesting social experiment to ask that question of anyone who tried playing C2C without knowing vanilla first. I can't even guess at the answer but I can say that just like vanilla, the game grows more complex as it goes but has a truly simple start so it expands your understanding as you play into it. So I would wager it wouldn't be too overwhelming unless you're the type to try to understand every element of a game before playing it. If you enjoy the exploration into the structure of the game, you'd probably not have much more difficulty learning C2C inside and out as you would vanilla, particularly since the forum is here to ask questions at will.

lol!

This is actually a really interesting question. Vanilla is probably a little easier to grasp the basic tenants of and most of them transfer to C2C seamlessly. I suppose it would not be truly necessary to play vanilla first but C2C might be a little less appreciated if you didn't get a true grasp of the difference. And there are some things we don't quite have right yet that vanilla did, imo, but we're getting there with those elements. Again, it would be hard to see this without understanding the difference.

As to whether it would be 'too much', it would be an interesting social experiment to ask that question of anyone who tried playing C2C without knowing vanilla first. I can't even guess at the answer but I can say that just like vanilla, the game grows more complex as it goes but has a truly simple start so it expands your understanding as you play into it. So I would wager it wouldn't be too overwhelming unless you're the type to try to understand every element of a game before playing it. If you enjoy the exploration into the structure of the game, you'd probably not have much more difficulty learning C2C inside and out as you would vanilla, particularly since the forum is here to ask questions at will.

Shall we play a game?....

I'm game to be the social experiment. I just checked and realized I have 400 hours on Civ V and only started playing earlier this Spring. So I think it's safe to say I really love CIV. I'm into big games, this C2C is just what the doctor ordered.

Is the let's play the appropriate place to post my live play and questions and answers? Also, I was watching some old Quill videos and there seems to be recommended settings I should start with? Point me in the right direction and I'll get her started.

Game purchased, just need to install C2C!

Shall we play a game?....

I'm game to be the social experiment. I just checked and realized I have 400 hours on Civ V and only started playing earlier this Spring. So I think it's safe to say I really love CIV. I'm into big games, this C2C is just what the doctor ordered.

Is the let's play the appropriate place to post my live play and questions and answers? Also, I was watching some old Quill videos and there seems to be recommended settings I should start with? Point me in the right direction and I'll get her started.

Game purchased, just need to install C2C!

1) Make sure to install the 3.19 patch you can find on the forum here.

2) Don't use play now. The best thing would be to setup a custom game and go through the options, reading the hover information and select what you feel would suit your preferences. Be ready to test a few varieties in future games. The stickied 'favorite settings' and 'options' threads could be helpful in determining for yourself how you wish to play.

1) Make sure to install the 3.19 patch you can find on the forum here.

The version from Steam is 3.1.9.0 Build (128100), I'm assuming that's good.

Also, the C2C on the link is an Oct 2015 v36. I noticed alot of activity since then, is this the still the latest sable build?

Thanks

Also, the C2C on the link is an Oct 2015 v36. I noticed alot of activity since then, is this the still the latest sable build?

Thanks

Personally, I would get the latest SVN version. Developments will break the savegame at some point soon if you keep updating it but at least if you find a bug you can report a current issue. It's also easier to download imo.

Personally, I would get the latest SVN version. Developments will break the savegame at some point soon if you keep updating it but at least if you find a bug you can report a current issue. It's also easier to download imo.

k, my next quest it to find it in the forum....

EDIT: read C2C SVN Changelog, need to install tortoise...ok, think I'm on the right path

I think it isn't. The problem is that the in-game update doesn't do anything and I think that is what was done with the Steam version. You have to download and apply the patch yourself.

The only way to be sure is to try playing Civ IV as it comes from Steam and then select C2C. If it doesn't run then you will need to install the patch.

Wow, very impressed with the way you guys build the builds. It's being pulled now, lot's of questions but I'll save them so after it completes, I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I figured it out and C2C ran fine. Wow!! The tech tree and dependencies are unreal. I played a bit and them met some animals and nearly lost all my units. I think I didn't take enough civs for the huge map so will restart fresh and be a little more carefull, this whole animal thing is new to me. Also, going to role play the way you would expect the evolution of man would have been, or at least the way I think it would happen. May help with the tree selection.

How many civs do you recommend with the huge world? And should I add the more civilizations mod mod?

Also, the game really is beautiful, doesn't show it's age.

Default # of Civs for Huge is about right.

What Map did you select? Perfect Mongoose is a very good Non Earth map. Use Start Everywhere, Low sea level.

JosEPh

Default # of Civs for Huge is about right.

What Map did you select? Perfect Mongoose is a very good Non Earth map. Use Start Everywhere, Low sea level.

JosEPh

I took the standard recommendation map C2C_PerfectWorld2f, saw it on a thread.

If you plan to reach the TH era and beyond, I'd recommend using a smaller map size and only max 5 AI opponents.
Is it still that bad? I thought after some data leaks had been repaired a while back this wasn't so severe.

We may still have some data leakage issues.

Do you agree with this post

Willemb Sep 15 2016
To everyone whom has an issue with errorless crashes, the reason behind it is that the Civ 4 BTS Executable can only read up to 2GB of RAM Memory, once it hits that cap, it crashes due to memory overflow, but! There is a method how this can be delayed a LOT, I will outline the steps necessary for this right here:

Step 1: Go here: Moddb.com

Yes, i know this is a Warhammer Fantasy Mod for Medieval 2: Total War, but bear with me for a moment here.

Step 2: Download the Mod (yes I know its a Huge Filesize, and for a game you probably do not have, but it'll all make sense later)

Step 3: Open the Mod's .RAR with WinRAR (Due to the many files it'll take some time to load) and double click on the Map you see, it'll open up the Mod's Main Directory, now, take a look at the last map of the Mod, called "4GB_Patch(1)"

Step4: Extract that map to anywhere you like (Desktop in my case) (After extraction, you can delete the Mod's .RAR as we don't need it anymore)

Step 5: Locate the Map where you extracted it to, and open it, and run the 4GB_patch.exe, and wait until Windows Explorer pops up with the line "Select Executable..."

Step 6: Navigate via the windows explorer the executable opened up to your Sid Meiers Civilization 4 Beyond the Sword Folder, find the Beyond the Sword Executable, and click on it to run the Patch (It'll back up the Executable) once you have patched the executable, close the 4GB patcher and enjoy this mod.

NOTE:

This does not Fix the Crashes, rather, it doubles the Memory Civ4 BTS can use, it'll still instantly crash once it goes beyond 3.9 GB, but it most likely will never reach that much memory use (I can confirm this works, because I checked task manager and Civ4 was running close to 3GB without crashing)

Hope this helps, and enjoy

Do you agree with this post

Willemb Sep 15 2016
To everyone whom has an issue with errorless crashes, the reason behind it is that the Civ 4 BTS Executable can only read up to 2GB of RAM Memory, once it hits that cap, it crashes due to memory overflow, but! There is a method how this can be delayed a LOT, I will outline the steps necessary for this right here:

Step 1: Go here: Moddb.com

Yes, i know this is a Warhammer Fantasy Mod for Medieval 2: Total War, but bear with me for a moment here.

Step 2: Download the Mod (yes I know its a Huge Filesize, and for a game you probably do not have, but it'll all make sense later)

Step 3: Open the Mod's .RAR with WinRAR (Due to the many files it'll take some time to load) and double click on the Map you see, it'll open up the Mod's Main Directory, now, take a look at the last map of the Mod, called "4GB_Patch(1)"

Step4: Extract that map to anywhere you like (Desktop in my case) (After extraction, you can delete the Mod's .RAR as we don't need it anymore)

Step 5: Locate the Map where you extracted it to, and open it, and run the 4GB_patch.exe, and wait until Windows Explorer pops up with the line "Select Executable..."

Step 6: Navigate via the windows explorer the executable opened up to your Sid Meiers Civilization 4 Beyond the Sword Folder, find the Beyond the Sword Executable, and click on it to run the Patch (It'll back up the Executable) once you have patched the executable, close the 4GB patcher and enjoy this mod.

NOTE:

This does not Fix the Crashes, rather, it doubles the Memory Civ4 BTS can use, it'll still instantly crash once it goes beyond 3.9 GB, but it most likely will never reach that much memory use (I can confirm this works, because I checked task manager and Civ4 was running close to 3GB without crashing)

Hope this helps, and enjoy

What the "4GB patch" does is set the "large adress aware flag" to YES. However, the latest version of BTS already has this flag set to YES so this "4GB patch" does nothing and is pointless. Note that the original vanilla Civ 4 did not have this flag set (and thus could benefit from this patch) but Civ 4 BTS does.

The Civ 4 BTS exe has the "Large Address Aware" flag set so no patches needed to go beyond 2GB.

Is it still that bad? I thought after some data leaks had been repaired a while back this wasn't so severe.

We may still have some data leakage issues.

Oh I did not know that.
I wasn't able to play the game for a long time now, so I honestly don't know. Might have been fixed. If so, that would be awesome :goodjob:

Top Bottom