Will DisableFileCaching = 1 and change it to 0 improve game speed and how it works?

Feanor777

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Will DisableFileCaching = 1 and change it to 0 improve game speed and how DisableFileCaching works?

If I DisablePAKMemoryMapping = 0 and change it to 1,and unpack Assets0(1,2,3).fpk with PakBuild to proper assets folder will that also speed up game?

My Comp. is Intel C2Duo 3Ghz,2x2Gb ddr2 800Mhz Dual Channel 4-4-4-12,GeForce 8600GTS 256mb,and I like Giant maps so what is best Civilization.ini tweaks to get faster game specialy in late game.I allready put everything to low in game option menu(Only I dont want to lower resolution from 1600x1050 because then everything looks ugly on my Samsung226CW).Any Tips?

Will DisableFileCaching = 1 and change it to 0 improve game speed and how DisableFileCaching works?
My memory is a bit fuzzy on that detail but I think that the option you mention only speeds up the startup time of the program. On startup, the program builds a "working set" of the files it needs, which takes a bit of time since game files can be at several locations (installation folder, CustomAssets, Mods folder) and can override each other. If caching is enabled, then the game will cache some of this information, so it doesn't need to initialize everything again when you start it next time. It's not what you want and it introduces incompatibilitiy risks when you switch your setup. (But as I said, I might misremember something, so feel free to try it.)

If I DisablePAKMemoryMapping = 0 and change it to 1,and unpack Assets0(1,2,3).fpk with PakBuild to proper assets folder will that also speed up game?
I don't know. Might be worth a try, but it could slow the game down as well - depends on internal design.

My Comp. is Intel C2Duo 3Ghz,2x2Gb ddr2 800Mhz Dual Channel 4-4-4-12,GeForce 8600GTS 256mb,and I like Giant maps so what is best Civilization.ini tweaks to get faster game specialy in late game.I allready put everything to low in game option menu(Only I dont want to lower resolution from 1600x1050 because then everything looks ugly on my Samsung226CW).Any Tips?
How big are the games you're trying to play? My machine is much weaker than yours and I play modded super-huge games without problems. But perhaps I'm just more patient. I'm a slow player, so three seconds inter-turn time (for example) don't bother me at all; these three seconds are just a tiny fraction of the time I spend with that turn.

How exactly is your game slow? Do you have jerky scrolling during your time? Or does the interturn take too long (how long *does* it take?)? How much does the speed it improve if you lower the resolution? Do you have the "watch friendly / enemy moves" options enabled, and if yes, how much does interturn speed improve if you switch them off?

Top Bottom