Will the AI make more cities?

salty mud

Deity
I'm currently playing a Vox Populi game and the AI seems slightly more enthusiastic at placing cities than before, but still not too many. There are still big gaps in the terrain around 1000AD that should be filled.

Is there a way to encourage the AI to place more cities? Why don't they place so many?

Regards

I may be blowing low-grade smoke here; but after passing 6000 hours in-game, IMHO it is that maybe I see a pattern .

Look thou unto the Oceans, as liquids are cyclical in motion and violent; TIDES ebb {up} and flow {down}, and AIs ride those tides across the map as terrain determines the strength of these flows and drainage .

During the first hundred or so turns, the AIs spew cities wildly to anchor themselves in the ebb tide, and backfill their economies during the flow tide; like Coral reefs . As AIs leave the Middle Ages, a new Lunar tide erupts, as bottom-feeders grown fat become sharks, trimmed back only by distance, techs, mods, terrain, and neighbors; while also looking hungrily at YOU as a meal .

The AIs are programed in their risk assessments on expansion; You get to decide what you can get away with !

There are still big gaps in the terrain around 1000AD that should be filled.
Is there a way to encourage the AI to place more cities? Why don't they place so many?
What difficulty level are you playing? On unmodded deity, one AI or another will plant until every tile is claimed. Kind of annoying IMHO.

I haven't seen this in ages. AI is pretty good at filling in every tile on Immortal/Deity though so you might try those difficulties if you want to see this behavior. As beetle said though...it's honestly annoying. I also means they try to plop crappy cities in the middle of your empire (since the human is only settling good land) and settle icy 1-tile islands.

Yeah, I've not tried VP but that really is unheard of for me... if I had a penny for all the crap cities I've seen the AI plant. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom