Will there always be lag?

The way I see it Civ 4 BTS has 2 problems. First is overall lagginess (happens usually with mods and late games) and the second is stupid AI/"some other stuff" that can cause severely long wait time between turns (can only be fix via modes).

If you got some extra unused ram you might be able to reduce the lag by "cheating" a little bit :p. Take a look at this guide which I wrote some time ago. It basically eliminates the hard rive as any bottleneck for the game :D

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=414845

Enjoy

The way I see it Civ 4 BTS has 2 problems. First is overall lagginess (happens usually with mods and late games) and the second is stupid AI/"some other stuff" that can cause severely long wait time between turns (can only be fix via modes).

If you got some extra unused ram you might be able to reduce the lag by "cheating" a little bit :p. Take a look at this guide which I wrote some time ago. It basically eliminates the hard rive as any bottleneck for the game :D

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=414845

Enjoy

Does this somewhat bypass the 4 Gb limit or something? I've never done a ramdisk before.

Using a ramdisk will not circumvent the 4GB limit,
however this game was never meant to be using 4 GB of actual memory (computers back then didnt have THAT much memory) ; instead the game spends a lot of time seeking data right off the hard drive as needed (a really bad thing unless you got a fast Solid State Drive).

Using Ramdisk will effectively neutralize the hardrive as a bootleneck and this will drastically reduce loading time (and during my giant earth map in rise from mankind 2.91 made the map a hell of a lot more responsive). Ramdisk will however not help you with CPU eating stuff (such as AI having a field day with wayyy to many units), that belongs to the code.

I admit it has been a while since I played CIV IV and I dont know what performance seeking mods are now available, but setting up the ramdisk was actually really easy. I know it sounds intimidating, but its straight forward and the drive can be disable and removed with one button. The only bad thing is that it requires a lot of memory (preferably more than 6 GB of total system memory) to implement effectively. Today it is not as big of an issue as you would think it is because memory is cheap!!! I got myself 16 GB just to experiment with (even though 8GB is plenty for this purpose). Before I started modding skyrim, I used to load the whole game into my ramdiskt :D

:goodjob:

Top Bottom