Will there be a second expansion?

Will there be a second full expansion?

• Yes

Votes: 485 77.2%
  • No

Votes: 143 22.8%

• Total voters
I would enjoy more civs, just because I tend to play every civ like when g&k came out or any dlc came out. Finished a game with all the new civs in g&k at least once, which was about 40+ hours at least?

Want more female leaders tho. :|

I think they should more female leaders too but I would like to see russia's either pyotr alexeyevich romanov or Ivan IV Vasilyevich as leader otherwise yes more female leaders.

i for one would love to see corporations return but with more depth added for example you would earn just as much gold investing in corporations founded in your teritory or foreign territories but investing in the ladder would not benefit homeland corporationd wich in turn would give off some negative effects such as unemployment and happiness. corporations should also be customizable much like religion and maybe even tie it all in with espionage somehow. also the futre tech tree should be expanded on a bit such as cloning like bts or quantum entaglement wich could allow teleportation of units between cities with the respected building. some techs could also be added to one of the "now" tech trees such as advertisement wich i guess woul follow mass media. im sure the devs could come up with a bunch more ideas and sell it as an expansion and they could name it "utopia of greed" although that sounds more like an achievent that would come along with the expansion.

I'd like to see something like "Evolution & Revolution" which would add these kinds of features:
-Active environment, whereby every so often (you could change the rate in the advance pregame settings) the world around you will change. Plains will flood and become grasslands, forrests will encroach if they go unkept for too long, oil wells will dry and lose 1 oil rescource from it's stock, wheat will sprout in the ancient floodplains ect. Just some neat environmental changes so the world isn't quite as static.
-Environmental health, and pollution from big industry that changes how the environmental fluctuations I mentioned earlier effect the earth (usually in negative ways, such as the tundra freezing over into snow, the river drying, or the hills eroding to barren desert) this would also add some usefulness to the recycling center and some new buildings/ tile improvements
-Famine, Plague, and Pestilence. Famine reduces the food yeild from nearby tiles, plague reduces unit healing, and pestilence reduces tile gold yeild. These effects slowly build over time independantly in diferent cities, starting out with having no effect and eventually crippling a cities infrastructure. They can be counter acted by new health buildings/ techs, low expansion, access to certain rescources, or even new city state types.
- revolt. If an empires happiness is too low for top long, you will recieve a warning that "one of your cities is planning a revolt". When it does revolt (a few turns after the warning) the city furthest from your capitol (your capitol can never revolt) will either A. become a new civ (one that was not in the game you where playing), starting with all your techs, a few new units (and 50% of the units in that cities borders), and a certain amount of free gold. This civ will then act as any other civ and will start hostile to you. Or B. the city will join a diferent empire with the nearest capitol, becoming one of their cities.
-New civs, a few implementing the new environment and revolt systems.
-New techs and buildings, mostly those pertaining to environmentalism and maintaining order.
-new Scientific and environmental city states

Recently I opened up for myself a mod that adds Elictricity in the Industrial and later eras. Suddenly I thought it would be cool addition to the original game if such thing will be added. Like food to maintain citizens elictricity is needed to maintain later ara buildings (or bildings in general). Use Coal, Hydro, Solar, and Nuclear PP's to generate it. Build high-voltage direct current electric lines to redistribute it between cities of your empire. Hell, you can even add Natural Gas as a resource for building power stations. And I really, really doubt that developers will add this.

I also would really really like to see expantion of modern and later eras, more detailed view. More attention to politics, espionage and economy.
More detailed space programms and more attention to space race overall would be really nice too.

And my personal fav: I would like to see at least one more Civilizations expantion. Exactly: African DLC (a lot like Polynesia) with couple or three more civs, one or two new resources and maybe one new feature. Want them to make playing desert and arid regions more rewarding and interesting.

So I suppose there will be at least two DLC's one minor and one major, later in the year.

I'd like to see something like "Evolution & Revolution" which would add these kinds of features:
-Active environment, whereby every so often (you could change the rate in the advance pregame settings) the world around you will change. Plains will flood and become grasslands, forrests will encroach if they go unkept for too long, oil wells will dry and lose 1 oil rescource from it's stock, wheat will sprout in the ancient floodplains ect. Just some neat environmental changes so the world isn't quite as static.
-Environmental health, and pollution from big industry that changes how the environmental fluctuations I mentioned earlier effect the earth (usually in negative ways, such as the tundra freezing over into snow, the river drying, or the hills eroding to barren desert) this would also add some usefulness to the recycling center and some new buildings/ tile improvements
-Famine, Plague, and Pestilence. Famine reduces the food yeild from nearby tiles, plague reduces unit healing, and pestilence reduces tile gold yeild. These effects slowly build over time independantly in diferent cities, starting out with having no effect and eventually crippling a cities infrastructure. They can be counter acted by new health buildings/ techs, low expansion, access to certain rescources, or even new city state types.
- revolt. If an empires happiness is too low for top long, you will recieve a warning that "one of your cities is planning a revolt". When it does revolt (a few turns after the warning) the city furthest from your capitol (your capitol can never revolt) will either A. become a new civ (one that was not in the game you where playing), starting with all your techs, a few new units (and 50% of the units in that cities borders), and a certain amount of free gold. This civ will then act as any other civ and will start hostile to you. Or B. the city will join a diferent empire with the nearest capitol, becoming one of their cities.
-New civs, a few implementing the new environment and revolt systems.
-New techs and buildings, mostly those pertaining to environmentalism and maintaining order.
-new Scientific and environmental city states

I love it. All of it. as for environmental, maybe add volcanoes and/or earthquakes (may be hard to balance, but would be fun as an option). I would also like to see (a feature from Civ IV) a chance for mined hills to produce a strategic resource at some point in the future.
I aplaud the return of a health/unhealthy system also. This needs to be worked in in some fashion. (Jungle tiles are too powerful right now - but if they had like a -.5 health penalty or something ...)
I would also like to see a new victory condition (re-work Diplomatic victory, and add an economic victory, possibly with the return of coorporations.).

A few new civs would also be nice, but what I really want is aditional leaders for existing civs, with alternate UAs. (yeah, I know, it's not going to happen, we've been having this "discussion" for years)

Of course, I am one of the minority who DO NOT believe there will be a second expansion, so take this with a grain of salt. Or a shot of whiskey.

I would like an cultural diversity expansion, like the mod. They should for instance make the Asian civs common units like the archers or spearmen look Asian and while the European units look European like the settlers are now. They should create more resources like tea, rice, buffaloes and Coffey that is only found on their appropriate continent.

This alone would not be enough for a diversity expansion but if they created alternative leaders for the existing civs and added one or two unique unit/buildings to each civ that would make the expansion a success. The more different each civ feels the more fun it is to replay the game over and over. I love civ 4 mod Fall from heaven, where all civs got a really different feeling.

Another expansion could be a economy expansion perhaps called Traders and slavers adding real international trade lanes like in total war that can be blocked on the map and are calculated not just from city size and distance but from the different resources around the trading cities. Think east India companies. Also adding big companies in the late game like earlier games.

The expansion could also ad different social groups in the cities like slaves, merchants, priesthood and nobles. Slave population would give the standard food or production but maybe less gold, while the "better" population would give extra culture/faith/gold on the hex they are placed.

There is allot that can be done to improve the game, without making it slower.

Well I like to play Civ Nights, the mod expansion someone built. Just buy that mod alone you can see how much further the game can go. It has a nicer feal to the world than G&K Vanilla.

An expansion would be great. There are something I believe is overlooked in CiV. Diplomacy. I would like to see a deeper diplomacy. As of now, being friends with an AI civ (DoF) only gives you one real advantages (unless playing Sweden). RA.

There are also a few minor advantages like positive diplo. mod. on their friends and a little less likely to attack you.

I often find myself thinking when an AI asks me to be their friend "Ok, who will I anger if I say yes?". Hmm, so now I have to go see the diplo. screen before I answer (which I can't because then I have to press no and wait a long time).

I can be friends with as many civs as I like as long as I don't DoF with anyone, because then someone who doesn't like them starts to dislike me just because. Since RA is the only benefit I get from DoF I might as well ask myself "do I want a RA with that civ?" rather than being friends.

I would like to see the whole concept expanded in an expansion. Possibly with modifiers like Sweden's or as some suggested International trade routes. A great many possibilities.

I'm a bit tired as of typing this so there are errors (would be surprised otherwise).

Satellites should lift the fog of war to a certain extent. Have it be an ability under espionage to be able to see within a 5-7 tile radius for a certain number of turns at the cost of a % of your treasury.

I'm really surprised to see so many people expecting that there will be a second expansion (even taking into account that one or two people must have read the poll as 'would you like a second full expansion?'). Personally I think they're done with CiV and are moving onto the next full instalment in the franchise. I wouldn't be too surprised if more DLC Civs appeared at some point, but I wouldn't expect it either.

I believe we will see a second expansion. The game is rated highly, and sells a good number of units. This is a game industry (which is based on $, or is that :c5gold:/PT) after all, and they are in the business of making (1) a good product and (2) money.

I expect more DLC as well, especially because this has the cheapest overhead from a marketing standpoint...although I'm not sure what % of [civ5] players purchase DLC. I know I have but I have a good amount of friends that only buy the expansions. So I guess I would like more DLC, and I would not be surprised if it showed up.

As to the expansion, I would expect what most veterans have mentioned.

Expansion to Diplomacy (UN), Espionage and further improvement to AI in trades, combat, and building strategies.

I was so impressed by [GandK] that I have 100% faith (I held back a joke there) that if they do make another expansion it will be a particular caliber and not disappoint.

As far as my list here's what I think would really add to the game and make it better:

(1) Expand diplomacy, expand the United Nations, etc.
(2) Expand espionage
(3) more resources: Tea & Coffee are huge (would they be luxury resources), Rice should be in there (similar to wheat in its purpose).
(4) additional civs. I'm not too picky here.
(5) multiple leaders (a la [civ4]'s style)
(6) I think there needs to be a revamp to the economy. I understand there is a Tech called Currency...but it doesn't seem to impact the "GPT" mechanic. You should be able to leverage Gold to Fiat...Central Banks, Corporations, etc. Should be introduced into the game as "money making machines". I'm not too sure which direction to take this, but I think it is clearly missing from the late game.

Either way it should be stated I will buy it no matter what direction it goes in.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I was thinking about it on the way back from work yesterday...
I always found it strange how the world is populated by these spread out cities yet sometimes there is a huge land mass with practically no-one living on it?

Villages/settlements

In a general sense, these would be small proto-cities. Keep in mind I have never played other civs, or read this whole thread.

-You could either build them with builders, or some sort of half-priced settler. The possibilities are quite large with what you could do with them.
-They could have limited borders, or semi-borders, that would apply some sort of influence.
-They could be built either within existing borders (supporting bigger cities/working far away resources/etc) or in neutral/unclaimed territory
-They could slowly grow in size, with some sort of time scale, and each time it reaches a certain mark, it would give you an option (grow border/produce militia/contribute food or pop to closest city). Perhaps they could reach a 1 ring border around it with time. Perhaps they could claim nearby resources.
-Eventually, they could grow into actual cities, but they could just as well stay small
-They could be taken over/incorporated into other civs if certain prerequisites were/were not met (ie, they were outside civ's borders and hadn't grown/established cultural boundaries/etc)
-Continuing the previous point, they could be also be claimed by other civs if they moved troops to position themselves on/around village for a certain number of turns.
-They could be placed along long trade routes to give some sort of bonus to it

None of these ideas are set in stone, and im sure other people could come up with more uses. I just generally think the civ landscape would look better if there were a little more 'human stuff' in between cities...

thoughts?

I'm really surprised to see so many people expecting that there will be a second expansion (even taking into account that one or two people must have read the poll as 'would you like a second full expansion?'). Personally I think they're done with CiV and are moving onto the next full instalment in the franchise. I wouldn't be too surprised if more DLC Civs appeared at some point, but I wouldn't expect it either.

I think they will make a second expansion. They have a very popular game here. Surely there is still room for CiV game development, more things they can add and try out. From there they can take what they have learned into developing the next installment. I realize it has been very quiet, but that's the usual from Firaxis and 2K.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I was thinking about it on the way back from work yesterday...
I always found it strange how the world is populated by these spread out cities yet sometimes there is a huge land mass with practically no-one living on it?

Villages/settlements

In a general sense, these would be small proto-cities. Keep in mind I have never played other civs, or read this whole thread.

-You could either build them with builders, or some sort of half-priced settler. The possibilities are quite large with what you could do with them.
-They could have limited borders, or semi-borders, that would apply some sort of influence.
-They could be built either within existing borders (supporting bigger cities/working far away resources/etc) or in neutral/unclaimed territory
-They could slowly grow in size, with some sort of time scale, and each time it reaches a certain mark, it would give you an option (grow border/produce militia/contribute food or pop to closest city). Perhaps they could reach a 1 ring border around it with time. Perhaps they could claim nearby resources.
-Eventually, they could grow into actual cities, but they could just as well stay small
-They could be taken over/incorporated into other civs if certain prerequisites were/were not met (ie, they were outside civ's borders and hadn't grown/established cultural boundaries/etc)
-Continuing the previous point, they could be also be claimed by other civs if they moved troops to position themselves on/around village for a certain number of turns.
-They could be placed along long trade routes to give some sort of bonus to it

None of these ideas are set in stone, and im sure other people could come up with more uses. I just generally think the civ landscape would look better if there were a little more 'human stuff' in between cities...

thoughts?

I like your ideas, unfortunately civ has never had in-between; it's a either a city or nothing. Civ III had colonies but all they could do was grab resources outside your borders.

The mechanic you describe would fit well into Civ V, I think, especially since happiness can constrain your growth so much. Proto-cities would allow you to expand when happiness is tight, yet you wouldn't reap the full rewards of that expansion.

Go to Steam, Library, Civ V, Properties, click on Betas tab. You will see a private beta that requires a password. What does the beta relate to? Your guess is as good as any.

Go to Steam, Library, Civ V, Properties, click on Betas tab. You will see a private beta that requires a password. What does the beta relate to? Your guess is as good as any.

Thanks, wasn't aware there was any other place to see betas than in the Steam - Settings tab.

Anyway, i'm aware we have some beta-testers on this board that should have some info they might be allowed to disclose, any info would be great really.

I believe many (most? all?) private betas come with NDA obligations, so don't count on any beta participants violating those restrictions (presumably they like participating in the betas and don't want to jeopardize that).

Top Bottom