Windows 7

Tasunke

Crazy Horse
ok, so I pretty much only use Civ IV for FFH ... yet I am currently trying to figure out how to install Civ IV onto a computer running a Windows 7 OS.

Is Civ IV and its expansions simply not compatable with WIndows 7?

Yes, I'm running it on Win7 as well. Make sure you're installing it as an admin to resolve any potential security issues.

*Note: I do have the steam version of BtS, not sure if it would make a difference though.

I run FfH on windows 7 without issues. I have UAC disabled.

I had no problems running FfH on Windows 7, but modding it further was tricky. I eventually managed to give myself permissions to write to the Firaxis folder of Programs (x86), but still cannot seem to save edited versions of the excel file FfH Editor there, and when I save them elsewhere the macros won't refer back to my mod. (I hadn't really used the editor in a couple years, but since my recent versions had been crashing a lot and not merging properly I decided to start from scratch using it.) I only discovered how to disable the UAC after making a lot of changes to that file, and since turning it off requires restarting the computer which would cause me to loose all that unsaved work (not the xml, but the ability to keep moding from where I was as easily) I have not done it yet. I also noticed that it does not seem to be keeping my changes to the .ini files

what is the UAC and how can I disable it?

Here you go: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/30/how-to-disable-and-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7/

It's 'User Account Control'. Essentially, Windows assumes you have no idea what you're doing, and that you shouldn't be messing with anything in Program Files. To be honest, that's pretty much true for the majority of people. :lol:

sometimes i wish, there is be something in windows like root user in linux - full control over PC, no question

(( full control as long as you don't screw the system up and cause kernel panic ... :D ))

gaah. Wouldn't u be so smug if there wasn't such a thing as google :p

well, I downloaded the patch, but it would not install, im gonna check to see if I have UAC or not.

Edit: hmm, while it seems that there "might" be a UAC at work, there is no evidence of one by name ... very devious ...

Edit/Edit: Okay, so I found the "UAC" which has varying degrees of annoyance. At least I assumed it was the UAC ... and then lo and behold, when I opted to turn it off, it said "do you want to disable the UAC" actually referring to it by name xD ... so you were right.

It's 'User Account Control'. Essentially, Windows assumes you have no idea what you're doing, and that you shouldn't be messing with anything in Program Files. To be honest, that's pretty much true for the majority of people. :lol:

Not quite. Windows assumes that software developers have no idea what they're doing, and that they shouldn't be messing about in Program Files except when installing/uninstalling stuff, because it's an absolutely enormous security risk. Windows is absolutely correct in this assumption.* UAC is a good thing, and if you don't know what it is (as in the case of Tasunke here) then chances are it's a terrible idea to disable it.

* Granted, you could argue that Windows also caused the problem by permitting (and even making use of) bad practices back in the Windows 95 and earlier days, but you can't really fault them now that they've fixed the problem.

well, I downloaded the patch, but it would not install, im gonna check to see if I have UAC or not.

Edit: hmm, while it seems that there "might" be a UAC at work, there is no evidence of one by name ... very devious ...

If you're on Windows 7 and you haven't already disabled UAC, then you definitely have UAC, no "might" about it. As far as I'm aware, it's still referred to as UAC in Windows 7, they've just given you a lot more granularity of control in how it interferes with you, so you can turn it down to non-annoying levels without totally disabling it, if you so choose. In any case, there's nothing devious about it.

Be sure CivIV installs to the right directory in WIN 7-I think it wants to install to "C:/Windows/Program Files/Firaxis Games....." which isn't correct, as is the case for VISTA. (Did a LOT of digging on it...) I had similar issues and only by installing it to the following did it work. (had to change the path on install)

username/AppData/Roaming/(Firaxis etc...)

So my whole path looks like " Zarsynn/AppData/Roaming/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Fall From Heaven II

Now it works fine. I think you only need the main Civ IV there-- once in the registry, it knows where to install the expansions and mods. The BOLD is the important part. Don't ask me why.
-Z

i'd also suggest to install into a different folder, not into program files. i have a separate games folder on my d drive (c is a ssd) on win7, all works well.

well, I disabled the UAC, and the game plays fine ... so far as Civ IV, BTS, and Colonization ... but I cant install the patch!!!

I've downloaded the 3.19 patch 3 times, twice from this site and once through the automated "searching for updates" function in-game. It starts up normal ... but then when I click install it searches for some kind of program to install which apparantly isn't there .. so it just hangs and searches for a long time until it stops responding altogether.

What is it I need to install? I think its that certain components of DirectX are missing, or maybe it needs some files from an earlier version? something like that?

The BtS patches include DirectX 9.0c in them (that's why they're so big). The step you described is just the step where it's updating DirectX - naturally it has to see what you've got, otherwise it would overwrite newer versions of DirectX! It's supposed to do that and yes it does take a really long time. Just let it do its stuff.

i'd also suggest to install into a different folder, not into program files. i have a separate games folder on my d drive (c is a ssd) on win7, all works well.

I did similar when I was having difficulty with playing FFH on Windows 7.

The easiest fix seems to be just installing Civ 4 off the root, rather than in the "Program Files" folder.

I have installed all programs I use in Windows 7 Pro 32-bit into a non-system drive with the path <Drive Letter>:\Win 7 Program Files\<Rest of regular installation path>, since I still have Windows XP Pro SP3 installed on my computer. I haven't had problems with Windows 7 and I rarely use XP SP3 now. I think that Windows 7 is the best Microsoft software I have ever used, and I think it is even an excellent product in its own right, certainly in the 32-bit Home Premium version (which my dad has) and the 32-bit Pro version (which I have). I must say I've been very pleasantly surprised, as we all know those Microsoft jokes that have been circulating since the dawn of time. :p

I would tend to favour installing in a slightly edited path in a non-system directory or drive too. I haven't had any trouble installing or updating FFH2 (or RifE which I installed the other day) over the time I've had Windows 7. (I'm sure everyone knows, according to file version Windows 7 is actually Windows 6.1, so Vista programs and drivers have little trouble running in the new operating system. ;))

I am really looking forward to the new base FFH2 patch, which should refine and improve the post H AI out of sight. That said I think that even with the teething problems, the new AI up til now did many things right. :)

To those who enjoy a good turn-based fantasy strategy game, I would also highly recommend (in no particular order or heirarchy ;)):

• The excellent open source game Battle for Wesnoth. Edited 15 January 2010 - I have changed my mind. I would not recommend Battle for Wesnoth. See this post.
  • The VCMI Project, a free engine re-write of Heroes of Might and Magic III: SoD for owners of H3:SoD or H3 Complete which will eventually support many mods based on H3:SoD and the unofficial WoG expansion for SoD/H3C.
  • And for those who prefer H2 there is the fheroes2, a free engine re-write for owners of H2.

Hopefully both VCMI and fheroes2 will eventually be fully compatible with the H2 and H3 games available to buy for $US9.99 each at Good Old Games, which is a great site in its own right.

So, lots of turn-based strategy game love, no matter what mix you're looking for. :) It's good that there there are now several excellent choices available to PC gamers who love their turn-based fantasy.

Now I'll finally end my waffle. ;) To all, have a great 2010!

Best regards,
Steven.

well, I disabled the UAC, and the game plays fine ... so far as Civ IV, BTS, and Colonization ... but I cant install the patch!!!

I've downloaded the 3.19 patch 3 times, twice from this site and once through the automated "searching for updates" function in-game. It starts up normal ... but then when I click install it searches for some kind of program to install which apparantly isn't there .. so it just hangs and searches for a long time until it stops responding altogether.

What is it I need to install? I think its that certain components of DirectX are missing, or maybe it needs some files from an earlier version? something like that?

Think I read somewhere that it's best to patch to 3.17 before 3.19, maybe give that a try?

Top Bottom