Winter Vacation Ideas

Stevenpfo

Emperor
As the title suggests i'm trying to think of some Winter vacation ideas for next year. I have no idea when exactly. It will fall in between early October and early February I think. It will be three weeks long when it happens.

What i'm looking for is someplace at least half decent warm, half decent for drinking and having fun (I don't like clubs or that scene) and some place with a lot of other interesting things to check out (historical, museums, nature...). I also don't want to be trapped in one small place or one city.

Places that come to mind:

Europe:

Southern Spain (Seville, Cordoba and Granada)
Sicily (Palermo, Syracuse and ...?)
I don't think I want to go to Greece. If I did it would probably be Crete. I did enjoy Cyprus when I was there ... But that was mostly because I had a bunch of friends to share the experience with.
Obviously wanting to keep it Mediterranean here.

South America

Buenos Aires (It's warm? Bit of history. I don't know much about it)

Oceania

Australia (somewhere South East or East coast I guess)
New Zealand (Not sure)

I'm most interested in Europe to be honest. But i'm definitely open to any ideas anyone has. Anyone from Europe want to recommend anything there?

Besides Syracuse and Palermo, you're going to get a lot of smaller towns in Sicily. I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for.

(Although, it is an awesome place.) If I was in your position, I would be leaning towards Buenos Aires or Southern Spain.

did you consider Israel?
loads of places to see, and most not in harms way....

* Jerusalem
lovely city to visit, very beatiful.
* the Dead Sea
great place for some R&R, nice hikes too in a desert kind of terrain, and great weather.
* Eilat + jordan's Petra
Eilat has GREAT DIVING, comparable to australia's GBReef. its a holiday city, loads of cool stuff to do.
you can add a day trip to Petra (that is where Indy Jones was shot) a MUST DO.
* Tel Aviv
cultural capitol of israel, you can party hardy here. also has a lovely beach.
* the Galilee + Golan Heights
lovely mountain hikes and places.

i live in Israel, so if you decide to visit, let me know, ill go into further details...

Australia and New Zealand
those are WONDERFUL vacation places, but you will have to pick your destinations VERY carefully, as you cannot fit even a 1/4 of it in your time frame.
* it will take you 2 days travel EACH WAY, leaving you with just 2 weeks.
so, id do:
Sydney 1+ week (lots to do around, including hikes, etc)
hop on a plane and fly to
Aerlie Beach - where you can do 3 days in Fraser Island.
if youre into diving, id RECOMMEND you scoot over to CAIRNS.
the DIVING THERE IS THE BEST IMAGINABLE.
or you can do some sailing/diving at the WHITSUNDAY ISLANDS. (closer to fraser is, so will save you time)

you can check out some of my recent vacation pictures in my sig.

Japan, particularly the snow country (famed for its hot spring or onsen towns)

As the title suggests i'm trying to think of some Winter vacation ideas for next year. I have no idea when exactly. It will fall in between early October and early February I think. It will be three weeks long when it happens.

What i'm looking for is someplace at least half decent warm, half decent for drinking and having fun (I don't like clubs or that scene) and some place with a lot of other interesting things to check out (historical, museums, nature...). I also don't want to be trapped in one small place or one city.

Places that come to mind:

Europe:

Southern Spain (Seville, Cordoba and Granada)

I'm most interested in Europe to be honest. But i'm definitely open to any ideas anyone has. Anyone from Europe want to recommend anything there?

Southern Spain definitely.!
I've been a couple of times.
If you're interested in history, an absolute must.
Beautiful buildings, great castles
Great food, wine, cheap accomodation and travel
The sun, the sea, the senoritas

I could go on.
But from one Canuck to another. Just do it!:D

I'd like to also suggest another Mediterranean country: Croatia. It's simply amazing.

Spoiler :

And a map:
Spoiler :

As you can see, an amazing lot of islands, coasts, anything you want. :)

For a bigger place around there, you can go to Split. It's absolutely beautiful.

Spoiler :

I'd go to Brazil, I've always wanted to visit Brazil. It's a big country so there surely is a place that matches your interests.

Meh, if I wanted to ski I live a few hours from many ski resorts and hills in the Rockies.

Great ideas so far. I still am very interested in Spain. The thing that worries me the most, however, is the weather. Up to 17 degrees in some months and as low as 5 or so.

Meh, if I wanted to ski I live a few hours from many ski resorts and hills in the Rockies.

Great ideas so far. I still am very interested in Spain. The thing that worries me the most, however, is the weather. Up to 17 degrees in some months and as low as 5 or so.

Andalusia is very warm in the winter. I've been in Cordoba in January when it was over 25C. during the day and 14C. at night. The only place that gets cold is Granada because its in the mts. Still +5C. at night and +15C. during the day is not really cold is it? Not compared to where you come from.:lol:

Well, i'll be coming from Afghanistan which will have similar weather that time of year. I think. I was hoping for something similar or warmer :)

Generally temperatures in Andalucia now at winter are generally around 15ºC at day and 5-10º at night. So it is relatively nice for visiting monuments etc, but you are not going to beach (if you thought so), that for sure.

Generally temperatures in Andalucia now at winter are generally around 15ºC at day and 5-10º at night. So it is relatively nice for visiting monuments etc, but you are not going to beach (if you thought so), that for sure.

Is the water too cold at this time of year there? It's pretty much like stepping into freezing water at a "Canadian beach" even on the warmest days!

Is the water too cold at this time of year there? It's pretty much like stepping into freezing water at a "Canadian beach" even on the warmest days!
In fact water itself is not so cold here (aound 15º in winter), so you can have a quick dip. but it is very unpleasant when you get out of the water.

Mirc is right, for what you want, go to Croatia. Would be much cheaper than Spain and have fewer tourists to push through. Only chose Spain over Croatia is you are, like me, a foodie, in which case Spain would be sensationally good.

Top Bottom