World of Orbis (and LENA)

Kalina

Just lurking...
My World of Orbis

Those two maps or rather two versions of one map are my, unofficial vision of Orbis world. It is huge, flat map with all 24 civilizations available in Orbis 1.00. I tried my best to make this map balanced but I'd appreciate all feedback.
Map should work with current (1.00 with quickfix) version of Orbis

There are three continents on map. Most civilizations start on main one, with Mechanos, Grigori and Dao starting on smaller one and Lanun on islands in west. Last continent is new world, separated by ocean and settled by barbarians (they have 5 cities there so Acheron will probably spawn in New World).

Most resources can be found on all continents but some are specific to continents or regions. Tea and Corn can be found only in New World, Rice and Silk only in smaller continent and Wheat only in Old World. In addition, Duskwood is placed only in elven lands of Old World and Patrian Artifacts are specific to eastern part of larger continent.

I did my best to place Unique Features where they should be, but I lacked lore about some of them so please let me know if some are placed wrong. Those important to two or more civilizations (like Letum Frigus to Amurites and Illians) are placed between them so they have equal chance to reach or control them.
Leaders also were chosen to fit lore (so Valledia for Amurites, as she is Queen and Dain is only an advisor) but same thing here - I lacked knowledge in some cases and I would really appreciate your help.
There are lots of rivers on this map, as they are very important in Orbis, but placing rivers in WB is not very easy, so please let me know if some of them are placed wrong or just look weird (flow to mountains, etc).

There are two versions of this map - Ancient and Classical start. In Ancient start, all civilizations start with appropriate technologies, warrior and scout. Elven civilizations start with scouts instead.
In Classical start, most civilizations begin with archer, worker and hunter (or unique replacements). Some civilizations start with different units instead of hunter to enchant their flavor:
Amurites and Sheaim start with Adept.
Hippus start with Horseman.
Elohim start with Monk.
Malakim start with Hunter, but he has Sentry 1 promotion as if he was promoted from Lightbringer.

I can't post WBSaves on forum, so files are zipped. Just unzip them to your PrivateMaps folder in Orbis folder. It's location is usually \Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Orbis\PrivateMaps

Original Post
Spoiler :

Few months ago I tried to modify OzzyKP's excellent map (and OzzyKP himself made a version for Orbis here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=341290) to include all new Orbis (and LENA) civs but decided that required changes (especially with two new civ coming in 0.30) and I can as well make a new map. I tried to gather info from various threads in Lore subforum so all civs are placed in lore-fiting places. I didn't find much info about new civs so I had to improvise ;> I still have lots of questions, but I managed to create (a very) rough sketch of new map. Orbis and LENA versions are little different because I had to find space for two more civilizations.

Some explanations, please correct any mistakes and false assumptions ;)

Scions: Near centre of continent, were I thought capital of Old Patria was.
Palatinate: "an isolated outpost of old patrian empire". I decided they went as far west as they could, but maybe they should be closer to Scions ?
Grigori: From scenarios we know that Grigori and Bannor were separated by sea so I decided they sailed off main continent to find religion free land. They did ;>
Mechanos and Dao: On small, separate continent. Those two are agnostic (Dao are also agnostis, right ?) and are on opposite ends of tradition-advance axis, along with some conflict about technology and magic (Arcanum-like conflict ?).
Tlacatl: Jungle obviously, but I don't have more info about them so their placement is pretty much random (just near Clan, as orcs are said to live in jungle also)
Ngomele and Bashala: Near each other. Ngomele fought a war with Sheaim so are next to them, Bashala and Orcs helped them so those two are also near.
New World: With Orbis putting more emphasis on Renaissance I thought it might be good idea to add New World inhabited by barbarians and separated by 3+ ocean squares so you can't get there early. Maybe even some resources might be New World specific to make it more worthy ?

And a little question: are there any types of land that fit Mechanos/Dao/Palatinate better then others ? Hills, plains, mountains ? :)

Attachments

• Ancient World of Orbis for 1.00.zip
    54.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Classical World of Orbis for 1.00.zip
    55.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 167
Starting from the end:
I have set palatinate flavour to favor Wetlands. But some hills are fine, too. Their homeland is hilly area at foothills of the mountains, and adjacent lowlands with big rivers and lot of swamps.
I would put them to the north-east from Scions.

Mechanos favor productive areas, so hills are the best.
Dao have no terrain preferences, but I think that they live in quite warm area. Think southern China. With some mountains, that is for sure :)
Tlacatl should end in the far south or on separate big island/new continent.

I think you did the right thing putting scions in the center.

Your map does not follow the FfH lore regarding placement of civs (i.e. Bannor). I do not think you need to place everything according to lore, though.

I will probably do a map of Orbis version of Erebus once I am done with 0.30. I wanted to make a preset map for a long time, but if I do not have the time, I will just make a picture to help you in the future.

Edit: Also, mechanos have close ties to Khazad, I would put the two together.

Your map does not follow the FfH lore regarding placement of civs (i.e. Bannor). I do not think you need to place everything according to lore, though.

Problem with FFH lore is that many things were written without a map. Now, many pieces of lore don't fit with rest. Speaking of it, what is wrong with Bannor ?

I will probably do a map of Orbis version of Erebus once I am done with 0.30. I wanted to make a preset map for a long time, but if I do not have the time, I will just make a picture to help you in the future.

Now, that's a great news :D I will wait for your map/picture then :)

Speaking of it, what is wrong with Bannor ?
I can try to answer.
Regarding to scenarios, Bannor should be near Malakim and Calabim (and in Ozzy's map they are). Also I don't think they are on the opposite side of the continent with Lanun (first scenario - they are quite near).
Then Malakim. They are near Calabim and Svartalfar (regarding to Varn Gossam's history).
You can read this thread for more tips: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236321&highlight=erebus+map

I can try to answer.

Thanks :) As I said in OP, I read thread about OzzyKP's map (and others about Erebus map in lore subforum) but must have missed this info. Problem with FFH map is that lore is conflicting so much - Bannor are, in addition to what you said, supposed to be near Grigori yet separated by sea according to Blood of Angels. And Malakim in Against the Grey are next to not only Calabim but also Sidar... I don't even know if it's possible to make a map of Erebus :/

For example to your PrivateMaps folder in Orbis folder :) It's location is usually \Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Orbis\PrivateMaps

Please note that new version of should be out today. I'll try to update this map as quickly as possible :)

Top Bottom