World War II Europe - September 1939

asioasioasio

Fallout Scrubber
Thread about World War II Europe - September 1939 by asioasioasio and kodzi

Seems good so far, except some minor bugs (for example Ussr is in war against Great Britain). Im not excactly sure if i like the idea to put Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania under Mannerheims rule : P

Edit: I found out fix allready for USSR vs UK thing.^^

I needed to make some changes for the nations
- Merging Portugal with Spain
- Merging Latvia and Estonia (there wasn't place for Lithuanian city tough) with Finland
- Merging countries in South East Europe into two Balkan Groups
- Merging Denmark and Norway
- Merging Belgium and Netherlands
- Merging Great Britain and Ireland (There isn't that nation in game)

This way those countries are a little bit stronger - it's always better to have 3-4 cities than 1 or 2.
And the game runs faster - less countries, faster AIs' turns
Doesn't require SDK changes at that point

Often choosing alliances or the direction of invasions. In this case Finland and Prebaltica layed on the same direction of Soviet expansion in Europe determined in Ribentrop-Molotov Pact.

Fair enough. Some comment after playing Third Reich for 8 turns:

- on turn 0 Germany gets attacked by Polish units (instead of the other way around - so no sneak attack by Hitler there; must be because Poland gets to go before Germany)
- Global Warming seems enabled (I got a Desert tile next to Vienna)
- a Pzkpfwgn II got destroyed by a French Cavalry (I think that should not be possible; to be fair, the unit was bombed first)
- Malta seems to be missing (it was quite a strategic British port/airport despite its small size)
- minor misspelling (Sttetin > Stettin, Giblartar > Gibraltar on the map; also in various Civpedia entries - which are extensive, BTW ;))

Otherwise gameplay seems OK so far (no weird war declarations or stuff like that - which may - possibly - be reduced by using Team alliances) and the mod looks excellent. :goodjob:

On another note: I've been checking on a map for a global scenario (couldn't find a Pacific map that works with 1939 unfortunately). Will report back if I've made any progress on it. ;)

The mod is fantastic.

So who do we beg to get leaderhead art for Austria and Ireland so they can be added in?

I would advise against adding more countries, like Ireland or Austria. The scenario plays better when many of the small countries are aggregated together.

The scenario plays better when many of the small countries are aggregated together.

Thank you for your advice. What do you mean by "better"?

I was hoping to create a scenario for this mod that started in 33 or 36. Austria, historically speaking (this being a Mod based on history) was important to the mix. These civs do not have to be in every scenario, one could surely reduce the number of civs in any scenario down to 2 or 3, but I hope someone will add more artwork for other civs that actually took part in the events.

Fair enough. Some comment after playing Third Reich for 8 turns:

- on turn 0 Germany gets attacked by Polish units (instead of the other way around - so no sneak attack by Hitler there; must be because Poland gets to go before Germany)

Yeah I'll change it

- Global Warming seems enabled (I got a Desert tile next to Vienna)

OK it'll be turned off.

- a Pzkpfwgn II got destroyed by a French Cavalry (I think that should not be possible; to be fair, the unit was bombed first)

Cavalry in that time were quite well equipped. In Poland wich had huge tradition in Cavalry were well prepared fo the tanks - AT guns, AT rifles, MG also armored cars. Horses was often only choice of movement (and cavalry were equipped with lances, and this also didn't meaned they used them in battles - just riffles, guns MG etc) . If it was bombed I thinked it worked well

:spear:

- Malta seems to be missing (it was quite a strategic British port/airport despite its small size)

I'm not sure if it'll fit on the map

- minor misspelling (Sttetin > Stettin, Giblartar > Gibraltar on the map; also in various Civpedia entries - which are extensive, BTW ;))

Thx :)

Otherwise gameplay seems OK so far (no weird war declarations or stuff like that - which may - possibly - be reduced by using Team alliances) and the mod looks excellent. :goodjob:

On another note: I've been checking on a map for a global scenario (couldn't find a Pacific map that works with 1939 unfortunately). Will report back if I've made any progress on it. ;)

OK :)

The mod is fantastic.

So who do we beg to get leaderhead art for Austria and Ireland so they can be added in?

Me :D
What leaders do you want to add?

I would advise against adding more countries, like Ireland or Austria. The scenario plays better when many of the small countries are aggregated together.

I agree - there's enough leaders in this scenario, but like Wotan said - the can be used in different scenarios.

Thanks for your replies. As for Malta:

I'm not sure if it'll fit on the map

It's just 1 square - I think that would fit perfectly.

Time allowing I'll complete at least one scenario (possibly two - depends on my schedule and progress on the first). ;)

Awsome :)

What leaders do you want to add?

There are many more important things to be done with the Mod before these leaders are added, but if possible I would like available Engelbert Dollfuss for Austria, and also for Ireland, Eamon De Valera.

(EDIT) Thought of something else though: the Siegfried/Maginot Line defensive positions seem to be devoid of any units on start up; would it be possible to use a non-moveable unit to take up those positions? (Especially the Maginot Line defenders weren't allowed to move until the Battle of France was virtually over.)

I agree - there's enough leaders in this scenario, but like Wotan said - the can be used in different scenarios.

Good point.

I strongly agree with some Maginot defenders; create a Maginot defender promotion that gives -5 movement and maybe + 1 first strike or a strength bonus, and then create some machine guns and AT guns that start with this promotion in the Maginot fort tiles.

Alternatively use the Road to War solution of creating a high strength 0 move Maginot Fort unit and placing it in the appropriate tiles.

Dolfuss (killed 1934) needs to be replaced by Schussnigg instead

I wanted Dolfuss because the scenario I am working on starts with the coming to power of the 3rd Reich, which was in 1933, prior to the demise of Dolfuss.

I noticed something odd. The German (maybe all) Jet Fighters cannot get the Fighter Combat Promotions. I looked at the civilopedia and it says they should. I looked at the XML and didn't see anything wrong, but they definitely are not able to get the promotion while the earlier fighters can...

Yeah I like this idea with non-movable promotion very much - insted creating new units' classes it can be used on different units - all kinds of infantry, even artillery units. It could additional defense to units - so the Maginot Line would be real hard to brake directly.

For leaders - I'll just stay with Dolfuss if Wotan wants it. It's always possible to add new one if needed.
If time allow I'll add also couple of other countries - those 10 are on the to do list (starting from those i would like add most): New Zeland, Ireland, Austria, Ethiopia, Albania, Venezuela, Columbia, Peru, North Korea, South Korea. The last two for scenario that I will make someday - and it doesn't mean they'll apear.

For new leaders for existing civilizations:
Daladier for France (it will work even better than Lebrun)
Chamberlain and Atley for Great Britain
Sikorski and Bierut for Poland
Adenauer and Ulbricht for Germany
Rakosi for Hungary
Tito for Yugoslavia

I noticed something odd. The German (maybe all) Jet Fighters cannot get the Fighter Combat Promotions. I looked at the civilopedia and it says they should. I looked at the XML and didn't see anything wrong, but they definitely are not able to get the promotion while the earlier fighters can...

Yeah definitly bug - for all countries starting from Supermarine Spitfire. Weird bug. Tough I don't know why it appears.

Yes, please do include Dollfuss.

Promotions are weird. I have noticed strange behavior if I put a promotion in the midst of the default promotions. I usually tack my new promotions at the end, though I have moved others around so they show up in the queue more conveniently. I don't know why the order of the promotions matter, but I have had it make a difference.

Top Bottom