World's Greatest Literature

Godwynn

March to the Sea
Spawned from Fifty's thread.

What books would you recommend that everyone should read sometime in his or her life?

I want to know some really good books.

Well, I'd say Mark Twain and John Steinbeck are really good authors; I admit to only having read The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, but it was excellent.

You might enjoy The Mysterious Stranger by Twain, Godwynn.

war of the worlds.........

The Theory of Moral Sentiments by Adam Smith. Not because it's right or wrong, but because it really gets you thinking about big questions of how society works and what morality is. If you have time and interest it's best as part of a broader reading of social theory including other classic authors, but as a stand-alone, "wow that's really deep" book of human nature, it does a pretty good job of treating the topic. It's kind of dense and abstract because it doesn't use a novel or narrative format but rather just tells you stuff straight up with examples and parables as necessary, but it's rewarding in my opinion.

1984 and Brave New World should be required reading, as always.

Personal recommendations
Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman (society, culture, politics, religion, and education in the age of television media)

A History of Knowlege, by Charles van Doren (A short history of nearly everything, but he doesn't reference his sources so it's a bit sketchy at times. Also includes short biographies of many influential people. Said to be a bit Euro-centric.)

The Peace to End All Peace, by David Fromkin (Excellent introduction to the early history and causes of the Arab-Israeli conflict.)

A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving (It's just a good book)

Notes from Underground, Fyodor Dostoevsky (Turned me into an existentialist wreck in sophomore year of high school. Highly recommended.)

The Constitution of the United States (Rather short document, but apparently it's highly influential)

Theory of Moral Sentiments and An Inquiry in to the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, both by Adam Smith. Both are pretty dense reading, but it's worth it. And Wealth of Nations is worth reading simply because the full title is that awesome. :smug:

I recommend you at least take a look at Dune, by Frank Herbert. I just finished it a few weeks ago, and it's a suprisingly engaging story.

----------------

Now, those are personal recommendations. I'm not qualified to name the World's Greatest Literature. :)

As many of these as possible

More selectively (still using Bloom as a guide), the major works of: Shakespeare, Cervantes, Montaigne, Milton, Tolstoy, Vergil, Augustine, Dante, Chaucer, Plato, St. Paul, Goethe, Dr. Samuel Johnson, Nietzsche, Proust, Kafka, Ibsen, Chekhov, Swift, Austen, Hawthorne, Melville, Woolf, Emerson, Dickenson, Eliot, Wordsworth, Shelley, Hugo, Baudelaire, Homer, Joyce, Twain, Faulkner, Whitman, Fitzgerald, Flaubert, Borges, William Blake, W.B. Yeats, Dickens, and Dostoevsky all jump out at me at this exact moment (though I really have no clue if that's a good shortened list).

When asked to choose the most critical four books, Bloom chose:

1. The collected works of Shakespeare
2. The Divine Comedy - Dante
3. The Canterbury Tales - Chaucer
4. The Iliad - Homer
(his fifth would probably be Don Quixote)

Call me an uncultured imbecile, but most material pre 1950's does not interest me... except Philosophy, which to me is timeless.

As many of these as possible

More selectively (still using Bloom as a guide), the major works of: Shakespeare, Cervantes, Montaigne, Milton, Tolstoy, Vergil, Augustine, Dante, Chaucer, Plato, St. Paul, Goethe, Dr. Samuel Johnson, Nietzsche, Proust, Kafka, Ibsen, Chekhov, Swift, Austen, Hawthorne, Melville, Woolf, Emerson, Dickenson, Eliot, Wordsworth, Shelley, Hugo, Baudelaire, Homer, Joyce, Twain, Faulkner, Whitman, Fitzgerald, Flaubert, Borges, William Blake, W.B. Yeats, Dickens, and Dostoevsky all jump out at me at this exact moment (though I really have no clue if that's a good shortened list).

When asked to choose the most critical four books, Bloom chose:

1. The collected works of Shakespeare
2. The Divine Comedy - Dante
3. The Canterbury Tales - Chaucer
4. The Iliad - Homer
(his fifth would probably be Don Quixote)
I agree with Bloom here on the most critical works and the selective reading. However, I tend to disagree on his judgment on most of the 20th century books where I have read his take. When I drop off my 20th century fix to a wider perspective, I'll probably go with Fadiman: http://www.interleaves.org/~rteeter/grtfad4.html

Another thing to be comprehensive, is anyone familiar enough with Eastern literature to recommend some important non-Western works?

Less influential than the ones mentioned, but Siddharta by Hesse

War and Peace by Tolstoy is something I want to finish before the end of my life

I need to start Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms (it's sitting on my desk, itching to be read). The Count of Monte Cristo is amazing as an adventure tale.

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
I also would say Hawthorne and Twain. I can't think of anyone else offhand.
I would also recommend Romance of the Threee Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong simply because its a true Chinese classic, an truly excellent but long read, and an insight into Chinese society.

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
I also would say Hawthorne and Twain. I can't think of anyone else offhand.
I would also recommend Romance of the Threee Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong simply because its a true Chinese classic, an truly excellent but long read, and an insight into Chinese society.

:goodjob:

along with the other Chinese classics, The Journey to the West, the Outlaws of the Marsh, The Dream of the Red Chamber, and any others that I forgot

Everyone should read it, and swear never to let it become a reality, as long as they live.

I havent read that.

I want to though I saw a description of it while flicking through Animal Farm by the same author.

Mark Twain comes to mind. Anything by him would be ok. Also try out Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.

Top Bottom