Worst designed obviously dangerous thing

This is the Soviet PFM-1 landmine. It looks like a toy, and quite a few children in Afghanistan, Nagorno-Karabakh and Ukraine got themselves killed attempting to 'play' with it.

Also, for some reason it sports the Hebrew letter Gimel, in spite there was no Israeli or Biblical involvement I know about...

The most dangerous thing we played with were explosives made out of certain household chemicals.
I ended up with all the hair singed off the side of my head once , very lucky it was not worse.

We also had lawn darts did not see them as particularly dangerous as we had home made dutch arrows which would go far further.

Girls had clackers for about a year until reports started of them breaking and taking out peoples eyes.

This is the Soviet PFM-1 landmine. It looks like a toy, and quite a few children in Afghanistan, Nagorno-Karabakh and Ukraine got themselves killed attempting to 'play' with it.

Also, for some reason it sports the Hebrew letter Gimel, in spite there was no Israeli or Biblical involvement I know about...

That is an ypsilon, apparently.

Sandals.

Great for walking on the beach, terrible for children since they inevitably want to run in them, bike with them, etc. I've had my kids trip on them so many times and one of my kid's friends had a nasty spill on a bike when her sandal came apart while she was on her bike. Yet my wife keeps wanting the kids to wear sandals instead of tennis shoes because of 'being hot'.

The Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Boosters (SRBs) were segmented and at each segment there was a flexible joint with three o-rings. The original material used for the o-rings lost all its flexibility in cold weather which meant it could not maintain a seal on cold days. This mean when they launched it during a surprise cold snap on a February day, engine exhaust blew threw the o-rings and ignited the orange fuel tank, destroying Challenger and killing everyone on board. The design fix was to change the way the joint was constructed and to add a fourth o-ring.

The Space Shuttle Thermal Protection System (TPS) used very fragile tiles on the bottom of the shuttle to absorb heat during re-entry. The orange fuel tank was also covered in foam to keep the ultra-cold propellants at temperature before launch. Unfortunately, this foam was super crappy and tended to fall off in large chunks during launch. This foam would fall off with enough energy to damage the fragile TPS tiles on every single launch. They got lucky every time they launched it in that the damage was always below a threshold that the system could survive right up until Columbia disintegrated on re-entry as hot plasma entered the wing and destroyed it. There was no design fix for this and every time they sent the shuttle up after Columbia they had to perform inspections at the ISS and/or have a second shuttle on standby to rescue the crew of the one they just launched.

I can't think of anything that dangerous, but you've seen those magic track racecar things with the flexible joint tracks that glow in the dark? Then there's a battery operated car that zips around it.

Spoiler :

Well it says right in the manual to keep the car away from hair. I told my 5 year old daughter this car only goes on the track and don't put it by your hair. The first thing she did when her grandparents came over was show them the car and try to drive it on her head. Her hair was so tangled in the axle we had to cut it off. Luckily it was only some strands on the side so it just blended in layered. We then discovered via posting the photos of it tangled in hair on facebook that this is a thing and all her friends have gotten them stuck in their hair as well.

You asked her not to put it by her hair.

how did you expect her to respond to that challenge.

That actually looks like Greek writing all over that thing... I think I see a "Theta" @Kyriakos ? Can you confirm?

Also, these things were a pretty bad idea... baby walkers... add stairs, tablecloths, TV trays, or endtables with thin legs and anything on top of them like lamps, phones or ceramic knicknacks and you have a recipe for disaster...

That actually looks like Greek writing all over that thing... I think I see a "Theta" @Kyriakos ? Can you confirm?

Also, these things were a pretty bad idea... baby walkers... add stairs, tablecloths, TV trays, or endtables with thin legs and anything on top of them like lamps, phones or ceramic knicknacks and you have a recipe for disaster...

Yes.
I can read:
ΠΦΜ - (innelligible)
12 - ( innelligible)

I suppose it is cyrillic alphabet, which uses a lot of greek letters anyway, cause it was created by a greek (Cyrillos of Thessalonike).

Never forget Methodios.

There's also УЧ scratched by hand on the surface. I don't know what it means.

Top Bottom