Worthwhile to upgrade?

Smellincoffee

Trekkie At Large
It's been a long time since I was current with gaming trends and hardware. Back when I was subscribing to (and understanding) PC magazines, 512 mbs of ram was normal, and the only people with a gig of it were the ones with $4000 Alienware computers. I'd like to play games like Mafia 2, or Civilization 5, but when I install them they're unplayable. "Can my computer run...." websites generally flag my graphics card as inferior. These are my specs:

Card: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. According to the control panel, its total memory is 1920 mbs.

Processor: AMD 9150, 1.8 GHZ
RAM: 7 GB
Hard drive: 583 GB

Based on this, is my big weakness just the graphics card? Also, how would I find out how much additional RAM my machine can accept?

Thanks for the response. I purchased the PC in fall 2009, so I figured it would be dated. My biggest weakness in comparison shopping is that I know virtually nothing about graphics cards. I know if I buy a machine from a store it will probably come with a low-end card to cut costs, but what might I look for in the mid range? I'm more concerned with smoothness of play than jaw-dropping graphics.

Top Bottom