In my last save, I had about the same experience on Continental Guard with GG. Quite a killer, being able to run through several REF units each turn without slowing down. But that pales in comparison with my 180XP privateer that could take on a MoW.

What does “Random settlement areas” option do? It’s in the settings screen when you are about to create custom game. The tooltip for it isn’t helpful.
Thanks!

Last edited:
What does “Random settlement areas” option does?
As default in WTP (or TAC or RaR) Native Nations are spawned by a Upper North - Lower North - Central - Upper South - Lower South distribution. (My old "Geographically Correct Native Placement" feature from TAC.)
This is meant to have Natives appear at least generally in regions (considering North, Central, South) where they fit historically / geographically. (e.g. no Inuit in Central or South America)

The "Random Settlement Areas" deactivates that "geographic correct" distribution logic and thus the specific Native tribes can be spawned everywhere.
It will then be completely randomized again - basically using Vanilla spawning System for Natives. (So if you activate that option you might e.g. have Inuit in Central or South America.)

-----

Summary:

Default spawning of Natives in WTP tries to match Natives to historically / geographically correct lattitudes.
The game setting “Random settlement areas” however allows to still have completely random spawning of Natives (as in Vanilla).

-----

I personally never activate the Game Option “Random settlement areas” myself.
(Inuits in Central America or Aztects in Alaska destroys my immersion.)

It is a setting for people that really want to completely randomized Native settlement areas - some people prefer it that way.
(It is of course less predictable then which Natives you might meet in different places - so more surprises.)

-----

Edit:

Thanks for pointing out
that the English text was really unclear. :thumbsup:
I corrected those texts now to be more specific and explain what it does.

The German text in contrary was already quite precise.
TAC was originally a "German community mod" that did not translate all texts properly into English. :(
And later in RaR and WTP nobody really took care of translations for such old texts either ... :blush:

Last edited:
I love We the People. Well done everyone.

I cannot find if there is a limit on Great Universities. I have one. I have had scenarios where a town has the requirements for another, but no option to build.

_________

Wouldn't it be great if the board engine was We the People and the battle sequences were based on the Total War Battle engine.

Thanks a lot for explanation! This is very interesting, adds quite a lot of detail to the game. So this means that Indian civs from various geographic regions should be picked, to avoid empty unpopulated places on the map.

Thanks a lot for explanation! This is very interesting, adds quite a lot of detail to the game. So this means that Indian civs from various geographic regions should be picked, to avoid empty unpopulated places on the map.
No, the "Geographical Correct Placement" feature is "smarter" than that. :)
It will not create empty areas without Natives. Do not worry.

If you pick 2 Northern American Tribes, 2 Central American Tribes, 2 South American Tribes --> Northern in the North, Central in the Center, Southern in the South (relative to each other)
If you pick 6 Northern American Tribes --> It will still distribute them nicely across the map - There will be no empty settlement areas. (There will be Norther American Tribes in the South though.)

Last edited:

Thanks for pointing out
that the English text was really unclear. :thumbsup:
I corrected those texts now to be more specific and explain what it does.

The German text in contrary was already quite precise.
TAC was originally a "German community mod" that did not translate all texts properly into English. :(
And later in RaR and WTP nobody really took care of translations for such old texts either ... :blush:

Hey Ray, where can I find the text for the Colopedia/Tooltips? There are a few places I'd like to take a stab at re-translating, but changing between the German and English versions to check feels like the very long way around. I can say that personally, the German tends to be clearer for sure

Hey Ray, where can I find the text for the Colopedia/Tooltips?

It is in .../Assets/XML/Text
Basically all the XML files in there.

You should definitely get a good editor like e.g. Notepad++
Then you can e.g. "Search in Files" for specific texts.

I did a close up on the fish tile and I was a bit confuse. Pink fish? What kind of fish are this? I know its a fiktive and not a historikel correkt game.

I did a close up on the fish tile and I was a bit confuse. Pink fish? What kind of fish are this? I know its a fiktive and not a historikel correkt game.
Well, if you are talking about the Bonus Ressource "Fish" - it is just "Fish". :)
I never cared about figuring out what kind of specific fish race it is ...

If it is about the graphic "not being perfect", well it is good enough for me and I have no way to improve this myself.
I also can not remember any of us ever modifying it. It is probalby still original graphics from Vanilla - might have been changed in TAC though. :think:

Otherwise I really do not know what to tell you. :dunno:

Last edited:
A few of questions I'd really appreciate answered:

1. Does improving Withdrawal chance for naval units that can escape after losing a battle (Caravela Redonda, Carrack, Sloop) by promotions like Merchant Ship and Naval Warfare increase chance of escaping after losing a battle?

2. Will enabling "show enemy moves" setting show moves of other colonial nations ships to player's Privateers & Private Frigates, or does that require "show enemy moves"?

3. Does the event where pirates are attracted to treasure sitting at a colony and there is an option to attempt capturing a Privateer only happens once, or can it occur multiple times in one, or different, settlements?

4. Is it possible to assign player's nation without assigning a leader in a WBS scenario?

5. Where can I read about difference between difficulty levels in WTP?

5. Where can I read about difference between difficulty levels in WTP?
I do not think it is really documented in detail in any thread. :dunno:
(Mostly because it is a waste of time because balancing could always be changed.)

Basically you can just check "CvHandicapInfos.xml" - which is the XML that configures difficulty levels.
(Considering "balancing of difficulty levels" there is nothing hardcoded in DLL.)

To simplify it:
  • "Explorer" --> Human and AI have almost the same modifiers
  • Anything below "Explorer" --> Human gets bonus modifiers and AI gets malus modifiers (on Combat, Construction, Liberty Bells, ...)
  • Anything above "Explorer" --> AI gets bonus modifiers and Human gets malus modifiers (on Combat, Construction, Liberty Bells, ...)
But as I said, simply look into the XML file mentioned above. :thumbsup:
It is pretty self explaining.

Comment:

In general AI always gets some "easier rules" though for complex features - so it can handle them at all.
(e.g. Health, Happiness, Live Stock breeding, ...)

Those are independent of "Difficulty Levels" and simply serve the purpose to allow AI to still use those features and thus not break immersion.
(They are not really unfair though. They are necessary because AI is not as smart as a Human Player.)

Last edited:
Reactions: nci
there are situations in the game when there is not enough resource for the final construction of a building. and when this resource appears in the city in the required quantity, a message appears stating that the building can be built. So here's the question: is it possible to make the screen move to the designated city?
the attached screenshot shows that one building from the list can be built in the city of Fort Ross. but at the same time Novo Arkhangelsk is displayed on the map. I don't remember which building is more needed in the city. but if I saw the city on the map, it would be easier to choose.

Attachments

• city on the map.jpg
    city on the map.jpg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 70
So here's the question: is it possible to make the screen move to the designated city?
By modding (in this case programming) it should be possible to have the Screen center on the City of the message, when it pops-up.
It would also be possible to add the function "examine Settlement" (opening City Screen) - like in other Lists.

@Mr. ZorG

It is basically a small "feature request". Effort (including testing) is probably just a few hours.
Probably it is a good idea to start a new thread for this request - it sounds like a useful QoL improvement. :thumbsup:

Otherwise it will most likely be forgotten and lost in Nirvana.
In that thread the "ideal solution concept" could be discussed and maybe a modder can be found who volunteers to implement it.

Last edited:
Hi team¬
Quick question.. I am on version 2.8. I am not getting the option to select Spanish (Español) in WTP options (in main menu). Only English, French and German. How can I activate it? I still see the spanish tags in the xml assets, so it looks to be prepared to manage it.

Also, can somebody remind me how to change the default options in Custom Game (like no hidden variables, new seed on reload, etc). I know it was in an xml as a line with 0s and 1s, but I cannot find it now :undecide:

Thanks!

Quick question.. I am on version 2.8. I am not getting the option to select Spanish (Español) in WTP options (in main menu). Only English, French and German. How can I activate it? I still see the spanish tags in the xml assets, so it looks to be prepared to manage it.
Assets\XML\Interface\Languages.xml
Add Spanish to the list. Easiest way is to replace Russian.

The main reason why Spanish is missing is because we don't have a translator and a lot of the text isn't translated. However it should work and if something isn't translated, it should use the English text.

Now if we could get a Spanish translator, then it could reappear in the list.

Also, can somebody remind me how to change the default options in Custom Game (like no hidden variables, new seed on reload, etc). I know it was in an xml as a line with 0s and 1s, but I cannot find it now
Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml

Top Bottom