• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .
I'm not sure if the former versions are all available, but as MorphineCol wrote. You can also give the new version a try, the technics somewhat different, but in many ways it is still the same.
I grabbed an installable version of 2.8.2.4 from the referenced link and am running that now. I have played and enjoyed the current 4.1 but the number of additional raw materials is a little overwhelming with the other new options. Some of the resource icons are hard to tell apart and locate on the map. I've logged thousands of hours on the various Civs (1-6). There is a nice mod for Civ 6 that allows you to search for resources (i.e. - show me coal deposits) that will flag any location on the portions of the map you have explored. That would be a nice feature to have in WTP. Thanks to *all* for the responses to my question. :thumbsup:

hello there,

quick question:
I'm struggling to have a comprehensive view of the goods. Any good tutorials around? I would very much prefer a web page or a PDF.
The in-game guide is difficult to follow. Videos are linear. A file/pdf/website would allow me to quickly jump to understanding whatever production chain I'm interested in at that very moment.

thanks,
hdd

Spoiler background :

I'd like to start by thanking to the developers.
I returned to Colonization after trying a EUR 59.55 new 4x game which disapppointed me greatly... I won't even mention it.
I started by playing the vanilla for a couple of games and then I moved to WTP.

Now, the shock has been profound. The breadth & depth of this mod are overwhelming.
This is exactly what I'm looking for! I'm so grateful for having access to such a marvel.

However, the problem I'm having is that my brain isn't what used to be. As you may see, I'm a member of over 20y... which almost makes my a granddaddy...

I'd take any help in smoothening the learning curve.
thanks

hello there,

quick question:
I'm struggling to have a comprehensive view of the goods. Any good tutorials around? I would very much prefer a web page or a PDF.
The in-game guide is difficult to follow. Videos are linear. A file/pdf/website would allow me to quickly jump to understanding whatever production chain I'm interested in at that very moment.

thanks,
hdd

Spoiler background :

I'd like to start by thanking to the developers.
I returned to Colonization after trying a EUR 59.55 new 4x game which disapppointed me greatly... I won't even mention it.
I started by playing the vanilla for a couple of games and then I moved to WTP.

Now, the shock has been profound. The breadth & depth of this mod are overwhelming.
This is exactly what I'm looking for! I'm so grateful for having access to such a marvel.

However, the problem I'm having is that my brain isn't what used to be. As you may see, I'm a member of over 20y... which almost makes my a granddaddy...

I'd take any help in smoothening the learning curve.
thanks

Hi,

this one might already help :)

Hi ,i just conquered an AI town that i had bottlenecked by building my second town near it and refusing to open borders/etc ,it had 4 times the pop size of any of my own towns and they never made another town on other very close by continents, with plenty of space, so i figured it was worth the investment in troops to conquer it and it did...but i also got 80 new population that they had "stored" and the town with 26 pop ,ive noticed that the AI does not like to wander much but this is crazy lol ,on another run there was an AI that built its town cut off of the rest of the continent by mountains so same thing...only 1 huge town, would be nice if the AI got to wander more. TX for the wonderfull Mod :)

@Schmiddie, thanks for the answer. It's something better than nothing :)
I guess it would be a better thing if the production chain were explained in a visual manner similar to that of Anno 1800.
I understand that for the people playing the mod for a while, it's all coming together, but for a new player, it is overwhelming.
Something like the attached picture.

Ideally, it would also include hi-res pictograms.

If there is enough interest, I'm happy to help complete the exercise for the entire mod, as I may learn something from the process.
However, I can understand that moders and experienced players - exactly the type of the intended audience, may have this already figured out.

thanks again

Attachments

• Clothing Tree.png
    Clothing Tree.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 46
Two more quick questions:

1) no animals
While playing one of the scenarios, I was able to see animals. However, whenever I create a random map, there are no animals, neither on land nor sea.
What am I doing wrong?
Please see a screenshot with my random map settings.
Or are animals only available in pre-set maps/scenarios?

2) can't change default names
I want to change the default list of (cities, generals, admirals & ships) names.
I did this by modifying \\Steam\steamapps\common\Civilization IV Colonization\Mods\WeThePeople-4.1\Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml
No change.
The game still uses the names from the default list.
Are these hard-coded in the DLL? Do I need to recompile the DLL?
If so, please share a link where I can learn how to do it.

I know I can change the names afterwards, but the point is I prefer to give my civ a particular flavour, and I know in advance all names. Changing them manually and keeping track of the last name change is a tedious process that alters the immersion, at least for me.

Thank you :worship:

Attachments

• 2024-04-09 01_02_44-Colonization.png
    2024-04-09 01_02_44-Colonization.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 45
@hdd

1) No, wild animals are also available on random maps. I tested it again and it works perfectly. :think:

2) You need to change this file: Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Mods\WTP\Assets\XML\Text\names_cities_utf8.xml. The city names are no longer outlined in the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml.

Regards

Schmiddie

Spoiler THANK YOU :

at times, I find support on forums x10 better than AAA games paid 'premium' support... maybe I haven't paid for the mod, but at least @Schmiddie and the whole dev team - you have my full gratitude. THANK YOU :worship:

1) next time I will try to re-install everything... this is my 12th start or so in the past couple of weeks and I never encountered an animal on any random map, only on scenarios -- sorry, I'm repeating myself.
Wait, maybe is because I'm using all (41?) AI slots? should I leave 1 slot empty for the animals?

2) this means we are limited to 12/13 slots, as many as are hard coded in DLL and present in the file?
Or am I free to add more numbers and the DLL is reading the list until the next civ is encountered?
to increase/change this number I need to recompile the DLL ? I never done this before.

3) NEW!
may I modify a founding father ability to end wars with natives? I've checked the XML code of Pocahontas and others, but I can't understand where/what should I modify.

again - brilliant response time and kudos for all your efforts to develop this mod, the result is absolutely spectacular!

Spoiler THANK YOU :

at times, I find support on forums x10 better than AAA games paid 'premium' support... maybe I haven't paid for the mod, but at least @Schmiddie and the whole dev team - you have my full gratitude. THANK YOU :worship:

1) next time I will try to re-install everything... this is my 12th start or so in the past couple of weeks and I never encountered an animal on any random map, only on scenarios -- sorry, I'm repeating myself.
Wait, maybe is because I'm using all (41?) AI slots? should I leave 1 slot empty for the animals?

2) this means we are limited to 12/13 slots, as many as are hard coded in DLL and present in the file?
Or am I free to add more numbers and the DLL is reading the list until the next civ is encountered?
to increase/change this number I need to recompile the DLL ? I never done this before.

3) NEW!
may I modify a founding father ability to end wars with natives? I've checked the XML code of Pocahontas and others, but I can't understand where/what should I modify.

again - brilliant response time and kudos for all your efforts to develop this mod, the result is absolutely spectacular!
1) Yes, you should! Its a long time ago when I delt with that part of the game, but you should leave room for the church and the animals - as far as I remember.

Reactions: hdd
uhm the AI does not seem to attack my buccaneers ,attacked some pops that were passing near them and caught them all, 25 new population lol, 18 of wich were expert miners...will never have more need of miners :p a bit overkill :S, anyway just on the next square a few troops appeared but although they reached me they did not attack :/ ,i went to test this theory and went to have a stroll next to their towns and nothing no attacks came :/ ,now catching their population just feels like a hack :(

any ideas how to change the default Peace Treaty duration (currently 10 turns) ?
I tried 'GlobalDefinesAlt.xml' but nothing stands out.

Thanks

any ideas how to change the default Peace Treaty duration (currently 10 turns) ?
I tried 'GlobalDefinesAlt.xml' but nothing stands out.

Thanks
The original GlobalDefines.xml has:

<Define>
<DefineName>PEACE_TREATY_LENGTH</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>10</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

So just copy that snippet of code and paste at the bottom of the mod's version of GlobalDefinesAlt.xml and adjust the value to what you want it to be.

The original GlobalDefines.xml has:

<Define>
<DefineName>PEACE_TREATY_LENGTH</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>10</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

So just copy that snippet of code and paste at the bottom of the mod's version of GlobalDefinesAlt.xml and adjust the value to what you want it to be.
thank you! silly me, I only searched in the WtP folder... I didn't realise this was a default param left untouched...
thanks again!

Hi!

The game is now awesome! Playing this game, once and awhile since the old Sid Myer's Colonization, more than 25 years ago! But this new version you created is just awesome! A complete new level of gaming.
Thank you guys for the creativity and time-generosity in creating such a huge game!

I just feel like I want to take part somehow, but I know nothing about coding. So, I have two questions:

- When I build a settlement inland but with ocean/coast tiles on the 2 plot radius tiles, I can't I built a dock and its consecutive constructions (pier, dock, shipyard, drydock, etc...) when my borders expand... Is this a bug in my game or is it supposed to be like that?
The problem is those tiles remain completely obsolete forever. I understand there should be some penalty for not having the ocean/coast on the 1st plot radius, but not having access to that water forever, it doesn't make me much sense... It should be able to build at least a pier and a dock. The shipyard, drydock, and so on, makes more sense to only be able to be built when the ocean/coast tile is in the 1st plot radius... When the ocean/coast is on the 2nd plot radius, nonetheless, they are, in fact, inside the area of the town, and so, they should be able to be used... no?

- Is there a Portuguese (from Portugal) translation? I could help a little bit to translate from English to Portuguese …Although I don't know how much time it will take me and I really don't have that much time.. But if there is no rush, I could do it whenever I have some free time... Where can I have the access to the texts of the game? I tried to find the files in the assets directory, but it’s not easy to understand how it is built or where I can change them easily, or how to manage xml... Is there any help tutorial for this?

Thanks!

Hi!

The game is now awesome! Playing this game, once and awhile since the old Sid Myer's Colonization, more than 25 years ago! But this new version you created is just awesome! A complete new level of gaming.
Thank you guys for the creativity and time-generosity in creating such a huge game!

I just feel like I want to take part somehow, but I know nothing about coding. So, I have two questions:

- When I build a settlement inland but with ocean/coast tiles on the 2 plot radius tiles, I can't I built a dock and its consecutive constructions (pier, dock, shipyard, drydock, etc...) when my borders expand... Is this a bug in my game or is it supposed to be like that?
The problem is those tiles remain completely obsolete forever. I understand there should be some penalty for not having the ocean/coast on the 1st plot radius, but not having access to that water forever, it doesn't make me much sense... It should be able to build at least a pier and a dock. The shipyard, drydock, and so on, makes more sense to only be able to be built when the ocean/coast tile is in the 1st plot radius... When the ocean/coast is on the 2nd plot radius, nonetheless, they are, in fact, inside the area of the town, and so, they should be able to be used... no?

- Is there a Portuguese (from Portugal) translation? I could help a little bit to translate from English to Portuguese …Although I don't know how much time it will take me and I really don't have that much time.. But if there is no rush, I could do it whenever I have some free time... Where can I have the access to the texts of the game? I tried to find the files in the assets directory, but it’s not easy to understand how it is built or where I can change them easily, or how to manage xml... Is there any help tutorial for this?

Thanks!
Update! Just found the folder "Text" inside XML folder. Those are all the text files I presume. Well... a huge amount of text to translate... but I'm going to move forward... one at a time... I'm going to work on Notepad, is there a problem with that?
After adding the lines in Portuguese, I can save the file normally, right?

Thanks!

Hi!

Thanks!
To be considered 'a port', your city must be founded adjacent to an ocean or lake tile. Only then will you be granted access to the dock building tree.

It doesn't matter if you cover some water tiles within a 2-tile radius if the tile where your city is founded does not have access to water.

Interestingly, the water could be lake + ocean, e.g., in the north, you have a lake, and in the south, you have an ocean.

Another important consideration is that ships built in that city will deploy on your city tile. This means they will only operate on that body of water to which they have access. Think it through before building a Man-o-war in a lake.

I hope this explanation helps. Please let us know if you need more details.

To be considered 'a port', your city must be founded adjacent to an ocean or lake tile. Only then will you be granted access to the dock building tree.

It doesn't matter if you cover some water tiles within a 2-tile radius if the tile where your city is founded does not have access to water.

Interestingly, the water could be lake + ocean, e.g., in the north, you have a lake, and in the south, you have an ocean.

Another important consideration is that ships built in that city will deploy on your city tile. This means they will only operate on that body of water to which they have access. Think it through before building a Man-o-war in a lake.

I hope this explanation helps. Please let us know if you need more details.
Hi hdd!

Thank you for your reply.
I understand, however it still doesn't seem plausible...

When the radius of the city grows, its capacity and resources also grow (16 new tiles!). We can access all other resources when our borders grow, but we can't make use of the water?... It just doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

This question isn't a problem when you play with 1-tile radius. In that case, it is what it is. But when we play with 2-tile radius city, why should we consider the founding tile when it comes to fishing inside your colony? When the city grows, the natural thing is to be able to use all its capacity and resources. I think it works for all the other resources (and in water tiles - feathers and gems, eg), just not for food/fishing, because of the pier/dock isn't able to be built...

I have a colony near to the sea (see image). It has several coast tiles in the 2-tile radius. When it grows, the city has access to water but I can't build a pier or a dock, so I will never be able to use those coast tiles for food... Why?
As I said, it makes me sense that I can't build boats and that boats can't reach it. But having no access to citizens fishing, it's just not plausible.
To be plausible with reality it should be able to at least fish on the water tiles available inside your colony... That is, to build a pier (and dock?) only. Its reasonable not to be able to build any boats and not to be able to be a port (has you said very well, no ship could access the city center plot). But fishing inside the colony should be a natural thing.

Of course I understand that maybe it's not easy to code to change this feature. I'm not trying to mess up...
Just by playing the game I came across with this and I think it's kind of weird and shared with you.

Tks!

city-radius-RiodeJaneiro_coast.png

@Paivix The solution to this issue would be to port my civ4 mod "Port District" (see my sig) to WTP. It would allow cities like the one in your example to be reachable by ships.
That feature could additionally also be used to allow normal Coastal Cities with Shallow Coast to be accessible to larger Ships.
(i.e. Making a "Shallow Coast Plot" accessible to Large Ships when a Port District is built on in.)

Also, when built (e.g. by a Coastal Ship) it could potentially remove Rocks, Reefs or other nasty Terrain Features on the Water Plot.
(Of course for the cost of taking much more time to build than on a Plot without such features.)

Probably though it should be limited to only once per City Radius ... and maybe even reduce all Yields to 0 to prevent it from being exploited.
Considering balancing it would make senes that the Improvement is expensive and takes a while to build.

But all of these questions are details which whoever implements shall design in his feature concept
Generally this could become a pretty cool feature with different strategic uses when implemented in WTP. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom