Wveth's First Ever Posted Game - FORREALTHISTIME Edition!

Wveth

Chieftain
After a bit of thinking, I decided to leave in Barbs and not set Always Peace to be on. We'll see if I have trouble learning or not, but I think I'm pretty close to grasping how to play on Noble more completely.

Information time!

Civ: American Empire
Leader: Roosevelt [Ind/Org]
Difficulty: Noble
Rivals:10

Map: Terra
Map Size: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea Level: Low
Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Resources: Standard

Extra Options:
Lock Modified Assets (so I don't give into temptation and cheat)

So this is decent. I'm thinking of moving my Settler one square to the left and settling there, so I'll get the Fresh Water bonus. Since Americans start with fishing, I can build two Work Boats right off the bat while still allowing Wvethville (hehe) to grow. I should get the border pop soon enough to get the Work Boat to work right away.

Any other thoughts and/or considerations on how to use this start? Also, am I wrong at all? xD

Attachments

• NOBLE ROOSEVELT 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    49.7 KB · Views: 51
  • ROOSEVELT NOBLE 1.jpg
    ROOSEVELT NOBLE 1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 280
Moving seems ok to me here, but not for the reason you said. The reason to move is to get immediate access to the plains hill forest tile for 3 hammers to get your first boat out faster (manually select it or it won't happen), and to free up that green hill for production (that said, it would be a stronger bureau cap if you don't move).
Before you move though, move your warrior 1W to see what the hill reveals. I don't see how what it could find would stop your settling on the spice though, but you should get used to determining what the best scout/warrior movement is first, then moving it, and letting that new info potentially alter your settling position.
EDIT: Actually, you add quite a few green tiles by moving. It might be a semi-decent bureau cap. Listen to others before you decide though, as I'm only a decent player (generally successful on immortal without nukes... as you get better, you'll realize nukes make an unbelievable difference and can turn the tide of almost any game as long as you get them before enemy spaceships are launched)

What exactly is a "bureau cap"? I am totally virginal when it comes to the lingo. lol And why would not moving be better for it?

EDIT: Bureaucracy civic would be more useful because of the extra hammer in the city?

Bureaucracy capital. Bureaucracy is a civic choice that adds a 50% bonus to hammers and commerce in your capital.

Always move your warrior or scout first in a position that reveals tiles for you. With that said it is better to settle on the spice than in place.

(a part of me is more attracted to 1W of the silk since if the Warrior reveals no food this is really a pretty mediocre start and certainly a mediocre cap - bureau or no - but you might move the cap)

Traius is right that you should use that forested PH to get the first WB faster. Whether to finish 2nd Workboat before worker depends of timing of BW, which you should head straight for. You can start 2nd WB or warrior and grow to size 2 > start worker > whip it when BW arrives)

move the warrior 1W and repost a pic. If no food, I'd move to the tile 1W of silk. If there is food, I would settle on the spice. pretty much what lymond said.

10AI on a terra map is going to throw things off a bit from a standard game...even with low sea level. But it is not a huge deal on noble.

cas

Thanks for the tips, guys. Made a WB, changed the city so it worked the improved clam, sent my warrior south and around the lake. Not too much of note so far, I don't think. At the moment I certainly have enough luxury resources that I shouldn't be clamoring for the silk to the south, yes?

Goody hut gave me gold.

I decided on another WB, to make sure I can spare the food to whip my worker, which will be next. Good idea?

Attachments

• ROOSEVELT NOBLE 2-1.jpg
    ROOSEVELT NOBLE 2-1.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 211
  • ROOSEVELT NOBLE 2-2.jpg
    ROOSEVELT NOBLE 2-2.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 238
  • NOBLE ROOSEVELT 2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    64 KB · Views: 30
Just curious, why did you guys think that 1W of the silk was better. Actually, I htink I know the answer... but I could use pointers too :)

Well, I originally thought it because of the Fresh Water bonus from the lake, but it was pointed out to me that also, by settling there, I could immediately start working the tile with three hammers, allowing me to get my work boat out much faster.

Haha, yeah, I know that :) Itold you that :) What I was wondering was why they thought that you should potentially settle 1W of the SILK, not 1W of start :)

What you need to do immediately is better explore your immediate surroundings. You need to find city sites, and your info is currently incomplete. For example, dry (meaning not beside a river or lake) rice, which is north of your city is not a great food source. But in those waters are there any seafood?

So after some turns of exploring for city sites, the next thing you should do, which requires no turns, is start setting up a dot-map (a settlement plan, only possible with the .... uh.. BUG? Mod, but you can do a lower-quality dot-map by pressing Alt-S in-game, which brings allows you to make notes on tiles. I put "B" for places to but spawn-busters, and "S" for city sites).

Only reason for 1w of silk that i can see..gambling on finding something in the fog aka escaping from this average Cap ;)
If you find nothing (happened here), it's worse than settling on spices..lake and fresh water lost (not big concerns, but can be annoying with so few forests and only Clams for food at start), slower work boat and a lost turn.
What Traius said about settling on spices is more helpful for Wveth, solid reasons cos you always would like an early 3h hill when building boats.

With this start, you should first think about your leader traits (well you always should do that :) ), and here my first thought would be okay..only 2 4f tiles, but i can get cheaper lighthouses at least so i would like sailing early. After BW.
Also other coastal cities (and inland looks rather crappy, your only good tile found so far are fishes south combined with cows maybe) will be happy about cheap lighthouses probably, and you can skip building roads for trade routes towards them.

Oh wow. Sorry Traius, I totally misread your comment. I'm a goof.

Fippy, the best reason for building around the sea is for trade, right? Because the lighthouses will help off-set the lack of food resources, and my economy will be stimulated from the trade routes without having to worry about roads? Just trying to make sure I understand.

Interesting - no one pointed out moving 1SW in order to get the fish in the BFC.

Meh, it IS visible, even without moving the warrior. Look closely at your starting pic. ;)

Yeah, it actually IS visible, but when I looked at the pic, I couldn't tell it was a fish. You had resources bubbles on, and the pic is taken JUST too north for the bubble to appear. Since I saw bubbles for the other resources, I didn't even think to check if the bottom-most tiles had seafood sources.

O

Fippy, the best reason for building around the sea is for trade, right? Because the lighthouses will help off-set the lack of food resources, and my economy will be stimulated from the trade routes without having to worry about roads? Just trying to make sure I understand.

Nope not for trade, seafood.
Fish i.e. would be much better than dry Rice, and you see no Corn or anything good on land so far.
All cities need food, coastal being no exception.
Lighthouses for only 30h will make that fish and other seafood stronger quickly, and 6f fish would be the best early tile you can possibly get.
It's also a bonus that sailing connects all these cities for trade routes, saves worker turns and maybe even teching the wheel early (depending on what else you would like first).

The lack of rivers is a bit disappointing, and also fairly unusual. I'm interested to see whether the good players still recommend building cottages around the capital. Or would the Great Lighthouse be the best option here, given the leader's traits?

Terra map with 10 leaders is going to be pretty crowded. Let's see if you have copper nearby...

Top Bottom