WW2-Global

Grizx,

Thank you for the comments.

"Ver 1.5 Dutch Harbor I like the addition of Dutch Harbor. I had felt the need for it when playing 1.3.

Ver 1.5 Marianas and Wake Island - Replacing the US cities Marianas (next to the Carolines) and Wake Island with airfields was good. Makes it tougher for the US, and makes it much more likely the US will lose all Philippine cities –which is realistic." Grizx

Yes I think these changes increase realism.

"Ver 1.5 South America – Venezuela. I would move the city :South Venezuela Area” one square diagonally East, rename it Puerto Carrena, and extend the Orinoco river down to it. More accurate geographically." Grizx

It sounds like a good idea.

"Ver 1.5 Retaining City Culture on Capture – With this change the US is able to capture Cuidad, Mexico City and Acapulco on turn 1. Without it Acapulco had to wait to turn 2. In one sense, culture retention is not a big issue as we can easily turn it on or off. On our own. On balance I think it is good to have city culture retention on because it helps the AI players. But might be worth putting a couple more Garrisons in Mexican cities to slow down the US. More on AI/ human balance later." Grizx

It only there for one reason: To stop AI from razing cities.

"Ver 1.5 US Continent – Would like to see Detroit, St Louis, and Memphis connected by rail. Not a huge deal as workers can do it in the game, but they were connected in 1939. On the Florida cities I can go either way. It is just really annoying to send the workers to connect them when in fact the rail lines existed historically. The counter- argument is that having to build those rail lines slows US development a bit, but right now I would vote for connecting them" Grizx

It sounds OK to me. The whole rail-issue is a problem though.
I mean railroads give mobility that is unrealistic. Its a problem within
the game-engine that never probably can be solved.

"Ver 1.5 Destroyers - I like the addition of 1939 and 1941 destroyers with the different stats. On the graphics, however, strongly urge you to use the Fletcher DD graphics available on the CGD Forum. The Fletcher graphics just look a lot better than the Akuzuki graphics you used. The Fletcher class was not introduced until 1942, but the late 1930’s US Destroyer classes (Mahan 1936, Somers 1938, Gridley 1937, Bagley 1937, Sims 1939, Benham 1939, Benson DD 1940, Bristol DD 1941) all had two forward gun turrets and two stacks like the Fletchers.. At the graphics resolution in the game they would be virtually indistinguishable from the Fletchers. Same goes for the Sumner 1944 and Gearing 1945 destroyer classes.

The Fletcher graphics make a good looking destroyer for all navies for the entire war, plus it ended up being THE US destroyer of WWII.. If you get the urge, I would add 1944 and 1945 destroyer upgrades, changing only the AA capabilities/stats. The main upgrade in the Fletcher and subsequent WWII US destroyer classes was increased AA." Grizx

A good idea for the next graphic expansion.
I will consider it.

"Ver 1.5 S-Boats (German) I tend to see the addition of S-boats as a distraction that does not really help the game. I think that at least their bombardment stat is way too high." Grizx

Within this game-engine, the question is whether the S-boats are
relevant or not. Its not sure they will be present in 1.6. I will read the
feedback.

"Ver 1.5 U-Boats In version 1.3 I did not see the U-boats as overpowered. I think they should keep the blitz and should not be reduced in power or effectiveness.. " Grizx

Notes have been taken.

"Ver 1.5 Arctic Ocean - I looked carefully at what you did with landmark terrain and ice barriers to simulate arctic sea ice. The problem is that the game engine does not seem to allow coast terrain to be designated as landmark terrain. If that were possible the landmark terrain as ice would work ok. Perhaps in Civ 4 we will be able to add different types of terrain.
After giving it a lot of thought I still think the best, simplest and least disruptive option is to extend arctic tundra terrain up to the northern map edge in two places: (1) Halfway across Siberia at the existing northern extension of the land and (2) halfway between Aklavik and Wager Bay. This is simple and decisive, It stops Artic circumnavigation. It will hardly be noticed at all in game play, and it leaves room for naval operations around the Bering Straight and around Murmansk/Archangel." Grizx

OK, I will consider it.

"Suggestions for New Units – Graphics for these units are available on the CGD Forum

US – PBY5 for recon
Germany - Condor recon and light naval bombing
US – Montana class BB
US – Liberty ship or LST instead of the existing transport blob thingy. (The liberty ship looks pretty good)" Grizx

I think its good suggestions. I will probably include them.

"Ver 1.5 Turkish Navy - In terms of a global WWII scenario, the Turkish navy was just not a player. Same for the Thai navy. Might consider just removing those navies and thereby eliminate some of the distracting, sub-induced declarations of war. Turkey was, if anything a land power. Might consider beefing up the garrisons in Turkish cities to make Turkey more difficult to capture" Grizx

Here I do not agree. In such a case I have to remove all naval
forces that belong to minor powers. That would take away much flavour.
One should also remember that all declarations of war from minor powers on major powers are not related to subs..

In my personal mod minor powers often declare war without any
logical reasons.

"Ver 1.5 Iran/Persia. Not so sure about eliminating Iran/Persia and giving it to the Brits. Persia acted as something of a buffer between Russia and Britain in the Middle East in 1.3. I think also the elimination of the Persian buffer reinforces the tendency of the Russian AI not to fight Germany but instead to fight Britain." Grizx

Should it not work, I will change it back.

"Ver 1.5 Thailand - Might consider limiting Thailand to just garrison units. Eliminate the navy. There has to be a balance between realism and playability. Thailand was just not a significant or capable WWII military power and a WWIII global scenario should reflect this. Garrison units, even strong garrison units – ok. But combat maneuver units and a navy which did not register on the WWII cobat scale - no. Again, this may help eliminate weird declarations of war while still providing somewhat realistic resistance to invasion" Grizx

Eliminate the navy: No. Garrison units: Maybe.

On game-balance:

Should I develop special AI-related scenarios it would take away all
time I can allocate to scenario-creatio.
I repeat what I have said before: the multiplayer version should
be a good alternative for those players that think AI is
no challenge.

On the final comment:

Notes have been taken.

Thank you for your comments. They are very interesting.

Welcome back.

Rocoteh

oljb007 said:
Sasebo,

totally agree with everything you said. I just bought conquests tonight installed it and am waiting for the download now! When I spoke of marginalized, i ment in regards to how I felt people were discussing them in this thread and not in the game, as I haven't even played it yet.

Roth,

Thanks for you reply to my posting. what I suggested regarding unique saves was more of a suggestion for the masses, kind of a hint if you will! As you will spend "forever" balancing this game and you will never make everyone happy.

and just to reiterate, I bought conquests tonight just to play your scenario and I hope I in no way offended you. Just serving up my thoughts, constructive criticism.

anyways, its done downloading....time to try it.

thanks again

"ps 35 mins later; guess my comp isn't top of the line anymore :(

I keep getting this error. cant find \art\units\1939DD.ini

followed directions and updated to 1.22, also did the previous patch as indicated.

anybody, any thoughts?"

oljb007,

No problem. I was not offended by your comments.

On loading-problems: The 1939DD ini-file is OK.

I am rather sure that the biq-file is not in the correct folder.

Rocoteh

Sasebo said:
Adler17, or Rocoteh: Since the Type XXI being available from the start is a bug, what tech should I get before I allow myself to build these? Also, am I supposed to be able to build Type IXs as well, or what tech do I need for those? I am completely lost on those two issues. :crazyeye:

Also, I sort of am just holding France at bay while I deal with the Yugoslav/Greek/Turkish armies. The Belgians are also being stubborn in Rotterdam. :p I will squish them out of there eventually, but I have a sizeable French army threatening Stuttgart. I also love the new graphic for the Somua, Rocoteh, scared the hell out of me when they started attacking me on Turn 1! :eek: :lol:

Sasebo,

You do not need to build Type IX.
In version 1.6 where the bug have been corrected Type XXI will
require Tech Sea 1944.

I am glad to hear that you liked the new graphic.

Rocoteh

Grohan said:
Looks really good scenario!
Unfortunately I have slow computer and loading this scenario takes forever.
Well there are savegames for emperor level but I'm not emperor player yet so are there any saves for monarch level?

Grohan,

No such saves now, but its possible I will upload some
monarch level saves later.

Rocoteh

Adler17 said:
Week 37:
My S- boats come out of the minefield and sink CV HMS Argus and DD HMS Watchman. My Uboats can sink the British invading force that set a lone tank on German soil. My Uboats clear the North sea of British CV, DD, and CL. U 1 becomes regular by sinking HMS Boreas. Emden took out HMS Cairo. The Flak cruiser is history. The torpedoboat Iltis sends HMS Eagle into the floods. No enemy ship is in the North sea at this moment. Again the AI sent CV into the north sea. They were not loaded. I can´t see any reason why they did that.
U 52 sank HMS Berwick in the Atlantic ocean. U 40 and U 53 sank 2 DD. Not more because of the lack of a blitz ability. Off La Coruna U 34 becomes elite by sinking a French CL.
4 enemy fighters were shot down over the maginot line.
I have to stop now.

Adler

Adler,

Thank you for the report.

Future versions of WW2-Global will see further rework of Naval OOB:s
with regard to WWI-destroyers. That will have impact on Britain that
had many such destroyers September 1939.

Welcome back.

Rocoteh

I suggest completely new OOBs. As I mentioned earlier British DD were in no way able to cope with the DD of the other states for instance. From what I saw you have a good balance in the battleships. Maybe you should reduce the ability of the Italian ships, which were of not such a good quality (I mean they were crap).
So following order:
Nation: Germany
Teorpedo boats: Equal to British DD, very good torpedoe use.
DD: They had better firepower than most other DD or at least equal. They were better than the British DD in all ways, except the types 1936 A and A mob, which lacked in sea worthyness. Very good torpedo use
CL: Nearly no fights against ships. Nevertheless they supposed to have an abilty near to a CA (except Emden).
CA: Much more powerfull against nearly all allied CA; only some Japanese could be better and perhaps the last US class of this type.
Battleships are yet okay.

Britain:
DD: Undergunned as now many of the British ships (surprisingly). Were seldomly winner in fights against German DD. Average use of torpedoes, because seldomly used in combat.
CL: Average
CA: Mostly outdated and outperformed by nearly all ships of the enemy, except the Italians and US Pensacola class.
BC: They were older ships which still had not solved the problem of Jutland. Only once successfull against Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, but only becuase the only hit destroyed the range finder on Gneisenau so that the ships retruned (Norway 1940). Luck for the Brits. Other ship Hood...
BB: ww1 classes outperformed by all German and many Japanese ships. Rodney and Nelson were too slow. KGV class undergunned and had only average armour. Vengeance completed after the war. Ship used ww1 artillery, but better armour. Could also not cope with the Bismarck class. Lion class was never completed. Possibly not able to cope with H class.

Italy:
One word crap! They had bad material and were used badly. DD were good, everything else...

US:
Modern DD: Awfull torpedoes but RADAR. Good artillery, but only equal or even inferior to German DD and some Japanese classes (Fubuki, Kagero).
CL: better CL than the Axis (German ships excluded???) and better than the Brits.
CA: Inferior ships in contrast with the Axis, except perhaps last class.
BB: Older designs were not able to cope with the modern ships; North Carolina and South Dakota classes were quite good ships superior to Japanese ships mostly, except Yamato and possibly Nagato. Iowa class a little better than Yamato, a little worse than Bismarck.

Japan:
DD: good artillery and outstanding torpedoes. No Radar.
CL: Inferiror to almost all other ships, since they are only constructed as destroyer leader.
CA: Some of the best ships of the war IMO. excellent armament, speed torpedoes and a good armour.
BB: Older designs like Ise not able to cope with modern ships, but against older ones. Kongo class was undergunned but still dangerous. Nagato class was well armed and perhaps able to cope with more modern ships. Yamato better than most of the other classes of the enemy.
This is my opinion on the ships. I hope this analyse can help.

Adler

I wasn't complaining about the Americans being boring. I agree that it's realistic, so it was a good change. Plus, I am getting work done while the computer chews on the turns (since I really have nothing to watch, I just leave a small portion of the screen visible so I know when my attention is needed).

Just to let you know, the AI razed Paris.

Adler,

I will (as usual) use many sources when I rework the OOB:s.

Focus will be on destroyers though.

Rocoteh

allin1joe said:
I wasn't complaining about the Americans being boring. I agree that it's realistic, so it was a good change. Plus, I am getting work done while the computer chews on the turns (since I really have nothing to watch, I just leave a small portion of the screen visible so I know when my attention is needed).

Just to let you know, the AI razed Paris.

allin1joe,

I see.
I think I will add some 40-50 more wonders in 1.6.

Rocoteh

Week 37 part 2:
I bombed with my planes the French forces in the west. In a dogfight another French fighter was taken down. Also the French tank army outside of Brussels had heavy casualities (4 of 12, rest severely damaged). Now I will attack with the army. I use my conscript infantry by attacking the damaged tanks. 1 dies, the rest is regular. Then I capture Brussels with the loss of 2 inf.
Then I attack the Maginot line. One Fortress there has only 1 HP left and reveals the rest of the French infantry forces there. They are attacked by my infantry after my bombers lowered their HP. 10 died with no losses. Then I try something very risky: the Maginot fortress is defending again. The marines attack- and win!!! 2 HP left, but the fortress is history! I will attack the rest infantry there soon.
Before I see the Spanish cruiser Miguel de Cervantes. It was spotted by U 34 which could not attack any more. So U 33 finishes the job and becomes veteran.
Then I attack the bordering French units and can destroy many of them for the price of 2 conscripts. I take now defense position.

PC turn:
Uboat bug: I am at war with Portugal. Rocoteh I strongly doubt that the Uboats/ subamrines meeting a foreign ship are innocent because this time a DD sank one of my ships...

Tomorrow more.

Adler

P.S.Y.C.H.O. said:
How's it going with the 362x326 scenario, Rocoteh?

P.S.Y.C.H.O.,

Happy birthday!

I will resume work with the 362x326 scenario next week.

Rocoteh

Adler17 said:
Week 37 part 2:
I bombed with my planes the French forces in the west. In a dogfight another French fighter was taken down. Also the French tank army outside of Brussels had heavy casualities (4 of 12, rest severely damaged). Now I will attack with the army. I use my conscript infantry by attacking the damaged tanks. 1 dies, the rest is regular. Then I capture Brussels with the loss of 2 inf.
Then I attack the Maginot line. One Fortress there has only 1 HP left and reveals the rest of the French infantry forces there. They are attacked by my infantry after my bombers lowered their HP. 10 died with no losses. Then I try something very risky: the Maginot fortress is defending again. The marines attack- and win!!! 2 HP left, but the fortress is history! I will attack the rest infantry there soon.
Before I see the Spanish cruiser Miguel de Cervantes. It was spotted by U 34 which could not attack any more. So U 33 finishes the job and becomes veteran.
Then I attack the bordering French units and can destroy many of them for the price of 2 conscripts. I take now defense position.

PC turn:
Uboat bug: I am at war with Portugal. Rocoteh I strongly doubt that the Uboats/ subamrines meeting a foreign ship are innocent because this time a DD sank one of my ships...

Tomorrow more.

Adler

Adler,

Thank you for the report.

On the Maginot line: I think the current solution seems to work well.

On the Submarines: OK, maybe the hidden nationality solution should
be tested after all.

Welcome back.

Rocoteh

WOW! :eek: Someone needs a cookie. :lol: You would think if he had noticed there were 85 pages in this thread he might have been able to learn about the long download times before he tried this...

Mprilla: I didn't know I was abnormal! I use Winzip all the time... :rolleyes: Also, Rocoteh added those civs you don't like because the people who have been playing this scenario asked for it, me among them. Make sure you have the right target before you fire, please. I understand about the long load times being a pain though, and I don't have a super-fast computer. I would suggest trying the save games that Rocoteh has posted in the first 11 posts of this thread, but from the tone of your post I doubt you will even read this. To each his own. :cool:

Rocoteh: Ok, thanks for the info, I will hold off building them until then. I have a feeling my going for the neutrals first and not France may come back and bite me if the Japanese start a war with USSR, but I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Mprilla said:
First you make 2 downloads rather than one. Mistake 1.

Mistake 2 you use winzip rather than winrar. Normal people use winrar because it compresses files smaller than winzip. And that would mean your uploading time is less and our downloading time is less but you didn't do that.

Mistake 3 you added nations like argentena and brazil that have nothing at all to do with WW II and made a hugh unplayable senario. This senario won't even start for me and I have an incredibly fast and powerful computer. It frezzes up every time when I try to start it. You also assigned too many units to every nation. I can tell because I used the editor to look at your senario. It is an insane unplayable unusable senario. Thanks for wasting my time when I downloaded it. Thanks for nothing. It doesn't work so everyone should not download it and not bother with it. It just frezzes up and does nothing at all. What a waste of time and effort. Thank you for ruining my day.

Mprilla:
Actually, Brazil did fight in WW2 on the allied side sending infantry and
a tactical air force to Italy. But, you do have a point there, I don't see the
need to include strictly neutral countries like Sweden, I think I would be a
better scenario, if they were just filled with impassable terrain.

Mprilla said:
First you make 2 downloads rather than one. Mistake 1.

Mistake 2 you use winzip rather than winrar. Normal people use winrar because it compresses files smaller than winzip. And that would mean your uploading time is less and our downloading time is less but you didn't do that.

Mistake 3 you added nations like argentena and brazil that have nothing at all to do with WW II and made a hugh unplayable senario. This senario won't even start for me and I have an incredibly fast and powerful computer. It frezzes up every time when I try to start it. You also assigned too many units to every nation. I can tell because I used the editor to look at your senario. It is an insane unplayable unusable senario. Thanks for wasting my time when I downloaded it. Thanks for nothing. It doesn't work so everyone should not download it and not bother with it. It just frezzes up and does nothing at all. What a waste of time and effort. Thank you for ruining my day.
Ur Such a newb.

Does anyone know how to change Civ colors in this scenario?

The C3C Game Editor does not seem to do it - or I am just too dumb to figure it out.

Any thoughts?

Grizx

Great Britain - ver 1.5 - Emperor
Weeks 27-52 1940

All in all a static period.

Week 27 We take Caluula

Week 30 Germans send a few Destroyer Flotillas out. We kill most buy not easily - not sure I like this unit but the AI loves it. Germans land two units north of Edinborough but we kill them. I see American units rushing north to Alaska - are the Japanese near?

Week 32 Americans attempt landing on Sardinia but with only one marine?
I send units up to Alaska but see no Japanese.

Week 33 Addis Ababa is ours. Looks like the Italians are pulling their air force out of Africa.

Week 36 Gimbi falls - Italy is out of Africa!

During these weeks we have been bombing Japanese, German, Italian units near Meshed and Quetta. Looks like the Japanese are now pulling ouf of India. I see them coming out of Turkey towards Jerusalem. I have Mobile Artillery now and the tide is beginning to turn as we are actually killnig units. In the middle of all this Germany takes Paris.

Week 46 - Russian units appearing in Turkey! First time we have seen them. Germans take Brest.

Week 47 - We take Damascus - we are on the offensive now. French helping out. Russians in force of about 30 units. We increase trade with Russia.

Week 48 - 28 Russain units in Turkey and 10 more have crossed the border into our territory. We give them 50 GPT and then demand they leave. They do leave.

We 51 We take Adanz but each turn we must demand the Russians leave our territory and each turn their forces grwo.

Week 52 Antalya taken but destroyed because of 1 pop and low culture. Russians leave but are not happy - They have a force of 6 Cossacks, 3 marinese, 5 MRD, 19T26 and 12 infantry - all but the marines are Regular units. However, the mere size of the force means trouble. I would like to finish off the Germans in Adana Izmir before dealing with the Russians. I have been cautious up to now because of this. Wish I could get the Japanese to declare war on Russia!

Seems the Japanese have been stopped by the air power. Russians will probably be handled the same for a while. The Germans are obviously trying to finish off continental Europe.

Top Bottom