Your dumbest victory

deiseach

Chieftain
There are a few threads knocking around on frustrating events, such as the AI beating you to a wonder you were short of by one hammer, so I was wondering did anyone have any tales of games where you accidentally pulled the rug from under the opposition, the kind of win that would cause a PC capable of passing a Turing test to shut down in a sulk.

My story is one of Babylon on Emperor level. Chasing a science victory right from the start (natch) and abandoning previous forlorn attempts to gun straight for the Great Library, I had a decent game overall with lots of Great Scientists and always keeping just the right side of being a military threat without saddling myself with an expensive army. Unfortunately I made a blunder (I think it was a mistake anyway, perhaps others will tell me differently) by focusing on the NC with my first three cities and allowing America to build a city in a place I had identified as a likely slot for city number four which would also have provided a buffer zone for further expansion. By the end game, which started around turn 350, I had five top notch cities churning out science and production, but the Greeks were utterly rapacious. They had accumulated enough city states in the World Congress to ensure victory and I had no money with which to bribe, er, gift them to my side. I was all set to retire but decided to let it end naturally and salute our new Greek overlords.

But lo! victory was about to be snatched from Bucephalus' nosebag. Unknown to me Buenos Aires had sought my religion for God-knows-how-many turns and as the turn for the World Leader vote started they announced that they had converted to my religion and were now my ally. Alexander duly fell two votes short of victory. I now had fifteen turns to rack up as much cash as I could, which wasn't hard as I only needed two spaceship parts at this stage and could focus all all cities except the capital (home of the Hubble Telescope) on wealth. Three city states found themselves the recipients of four figure gifts of cash and once again Alex found himself two votes short. Four turns later I blasted off towards Alpha Centauri, although I never arrived having fallen so much in love with me that I ended up eating myself.

So has anyone else got examples of pulling a Homer?

I have had a few SV at Immortal that I am not clear how I pulled them off. I think the AI is prone to getting its last SS part stuck someplace where it can’t move it to its capital.

Something similar to Beetle's: I was going for a dom victory (no surprise there!) on Emperor and was having the mother of all wars with superpower Alex - when I finally broke through to Athens there were some spacecraft parts just loitering outside. It took me at least 2 more turns to capture Athens and win the game, and he could have won - bloody cheating AI!

Getting a diplomatic victory, when an AI civ has about 50000 gold. How about spending some of that money on city states?

Huns on Deity duel map vs any civ. Warrior pops an upgrade ruin on turn 4 and battering ram takes opposing capital on turn 7. Domination win. Mindless and stupid, but lots of points.

Chieftain Pocatello domination victory in the chieftain difficulty.

My first Deity victory had an interesting turn of events towards the end. There were 2 civs who got the Apollo Program built 2 turns before me, so I was in a bit of a rush. I was starting to build my railroad tracks and ran into a bit of a problem after allowing both China and Venice open boarders. I could not move my workers and quickly realized, that means I could not move spaceship parts either. I then started moving all my military units on my roads to prevent their massive army crossings from preventing my workers and spaceship parts from reaching Babylon.

Military Xing.jpg
Diety t290 SV.jpg

There was one game where I had the AI beat me to three different wonders...but it wasn't the standard "AI beat me by the skin of their teeth" story, it was "I wasted a Great Engineer because the AI still beat me"... Three Great Engineers down the tubes in a single game!

Top Bottom