"Your promise broken"

If I remember correctly, having bilateral Open Borders seems to prevent the "troops on borders" promise. In an emperor level game where I was bordering Rome, I had troops right up against his border and had no demands for me to move them away, because I had an Open Border treaty active. It probably works by offering unilateral open borders too.

Conclusion: if you're going to be friends, give the AI open border access. Otherwise, just ignore their request. Don't make the promise unless you really are just passing by, and intend to move your units 3 tiles away within 30 turns.

Problem with that is, if the AI civ intends to attack you anyway (but this was hidden from you), AND you were not subject to the troops on borders restriction (because you and the AI civ weren't geographically close), the AI will accept open borders, move a substantial force into your territory as if they were "just strolling around", and then they declare war on you. That puts their strollers right on your border in their vicinity, while the effect of mobbing the hexes around your city means you are not immediately in position to ward off the attack.

Yes, I've had this happen.

damn right it happens don't let them AI through your borders unless you have an army there waiting for them. TED is notorious for doing this!

it's stupid. In fact, it's beyond stupid. It doesn't ruin a game but it's stupid. How many times I have converted a city, got scolded, said sorry and moved on only to get scolded for for converting FIFTY TURNS later, what the hell I dindu nuffin

Top Bottom