Your Reading Habits?

Fifty

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take notes?
Just read?
Underline stuff?
Do little write-ups on what you just read?
Depends on the book? If so, how?

When I was in school I'd highlight and use postits for bookmarks on any serious reading. Now I just read it.

Mainly just read, though I usually have a dictionary nearby and often make notes of references to Google later. If it's at least on the margins of being considered high literature, then I've probably read some critical essays beforehand that I might revist after my read. If it's something that can benefit from someone else's annotations (Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, Under the Volcano, etc.), then I read a chapter along with the annotations and then read the chapter again without the annotations.

I just read. If the book is so insanely boring that I can't stay awake (very rare), I highlight to keep myself paying attention.

Take notes?
Just read?
Underline stuff?

I like to talk to people about what I've read, especially if they've also read it before or are reading it at the same time. I hate writing in my books and I hate it when people write in books. It just feels wrong.

I hate writing in my books and I hate it when people write in books. It just feels wrong.

Thank you. I can't get through a book that's all marked up with highlighter and ink and stuff; it distracts from the original text and superimposes all these extra cues and biases from the reader.

If a concept isn't fully explained, or it perks my interest enough to go further in depth, I google it then and there.

Usually just read, but sometimes google references from the book and usually background it with other sources just for my curiosity. Definitely second the writing in books thing that always drives me nuts!

I tend to just read. I find marginal notes and highlights to be distracting. Also they tend to make things stick in my mind more after I'm done reading--forgetting the particulars of a book I liked makes me more likely to re-read it at a later date.

I just read without taking notes. I often read the same page several times to keep myself alert and attentive.

Take notes?
Just read?
Underline stuff?

Does anyone actually do that for novels? I assume you're talking about non-fictional informational reads otherwise known as textbooks for study.

I hate underlining because as if you'll magically remember something if underlined. I just read and if I don't get something I read it again until I get it.

Perf's readin' spot.

I got really into a book the other day that i just went to the toilet to sit there and read, just got into a habit.

Otherwise, revision is kicking in so i read through the thing once- completly blitz it, then re-read it slowly with a highlighter and highlight what i think is the good stuff. I then go and write up my notes by re-reading it through again. Then re-read it again with a different highlighter and then add that to my notes if need be. Finally, i read both the book and then my notes before making case cards (law) and learning the cases, i haven't yet come up with a way to remember the statute if anyone has any ideas?

I always alternate between fiction and non-fiction. Currently about to finish Under the Dome by Stephen King, next up is My s*** Life so far by Frankie Boyle. Pretty low-brow stuff at the moment, but I've got an Eric Hobsbawm and Patrick Suskind novel in the pile to balance it out

If it is for Uni: First time read it, second time skim it and make notes about the important things I kept in mind from first time.
If it's private:just read it.

Top Bottom