You're too easy

Hygro

soundcloud.com/hygro/
I've been playing vanilla civ4 online off and on. I don't know formal strategy (although I've learned of some sort of Oracle - Confucianism thing). I win almost every game. Are the average players better in Warlords or BtS (which I should probably get)? Yesterday I played and just putzed around for a couple hours while being ridiculously ahead of my competition, despite the allowance of tech trading (even though I didnt partake). It was a Terra map so I figured maybe they'd rush for the new world, trading their way to parity and we could fight an epic war but after two hours and as the only person in a real position to take over the Americas we all just quit. It was stupid.

I want to play casually, just log on and play, but I want a challenge too. Where can I find it?

Up a level or two? What does that mean?

Oh yeah! :D sounds like fun

Civ is just a game unless you have ambition to go professional. If it becomes something else then you're doing something wrong. When I play it is both a challenge and fun (on emperor fractal/random bts), though in example if I need the toilet then it becomes more challenging and less fun. Find the balance and you'll be fine, but obv not as good as me

Yes, hence the opening sentence which states that I am an irregular online player :)

Hmm yeah I guess I can kinda see where you said that. But no you can't increase the difficulty of human players. You could try to organize a game with some better players from these forums I suppose.

Personally I find online play totally un-fun, the turn-time limit sucks, and it's always super fast speed etc...

Me and my one friend play together, but it's always just me and him and we take it slow and really play the game. As far as the public games go, you probably need a well developed buddy list.

ah I didnt realise you meant only multiplayer. I dont think theres such a good online civ community, singleplayer civ works best. In games that I have played (extensive but casual) multiplayer the key to success is not taking any or many risks. If there is success by not taking risks then one is effectively executing a gameplan. This can be done against the AI on the casual basis you want, hence I dont see the point in mp civ.

you might want to try the multi-player forum. talk to some good players and organize a game. but it's hard for me to say as i never play online. looks like you have been here awhile so you probably already know that.

Yes, BtS players shoud be better as the real cracks are most likely to play the latest version. If you still find them all boring that might have something to do with the fact that non-league or non-forum players tend to be 12 year old american boys walking around with a warrior. No offense.

Play PitBoss games with good players around here. If you still find that boring you might want to share some of your awesome secrets here.

I must admit my terrible secret: I don't know what PitBoss is actually about.

What is PitBoss about? What kind of game, community, whatever is it, actually?

All I know is that I see two exes, one for normal and one for PitBoss, and that people keep talking about PitBoss multiplayer, and that it seems to be more PBEM-ish. That's not much to know.

The other thing you may want to try is create a game yourself, and then host it online. You can select a feature that allows human players to join and take over the roles of the AI. It kept my online games fresh, and I got to meet some really advanced players. Most of the time players will join and leave in a couple turns, but you can at least play a game at your speed and comfort level, and allow others to join in when they want to.

if you truly want to enjoy the game i suggest playing single player, and find what level of difficulty is best for you.

but yes if you want to play online the best players have the latest version of the game (BtS)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I have purchased Beyond the Sword, and just hanging out in the lobby I can tell I'm likely to receive more challange than I asked for :) pitboss is indeed something I have completely neglected.

Singleplayer is not that fun for me.

Singleplayer is not that fun for me.
Not that I'm taking offense or anything stupid like that, I'm just saying: don't be surprised to hear the quote turned around around here. Multiplayer isn't fun for me, but that's mostly because I run on my own mental clock. Too slow for some people, too fast for others, and plenty of times I'll be both. Sometimes I have to check everything (twice), other times there's nothing to check.

That being said, I'm a reasonably fast online Dominoes player.

Top Bottom